1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

From Sprint and HTC on Twitter re Android 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by COMOEd, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Mossberg

Mossberg Lurker

Looking highly forward to this update... I was upset the other day when I was looking to add Google Goggles to the Sprint Hero and noticed that the firmware running was not compatible.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. TF1984

TF1984 Android Enthusiast

Yep it stinks. Lot's of people are looking forward to Google Goggles, myself included.

3. pking

pking Well-Known Member

Speaking from experience supporting a hardware product that gets frequent software updates, even when we're in beta and plan on releasing within a week, we tend to tell customers sometime in the next two months.

It's a CYA kinda thing, even if Sprint/HTC were ready to release today, they'd probably still say '1H2010' just incase they find a major problem before release.

Our customers generally tend to find it a nice surprise when a fix they're waiting for 'sometime in the next couple of months' turns into next Tuesday.

4. lldsandsll

lldsandsll Well-Known Member

i dont share ur optimism, but im still keeping my fingers crossed that you are correct.

5. missy brown

missy brown Well-Known Member

this si awesome i cant wait i love this phone comeing from a pre that had lots of issues this runs a lot better no issues yet.

6. mrkniceguy

mrkniceguy Member

I'm optimistic that this will drop early in 2010. I agree with PKING in that they will draw a longer timeline than needed, just in case something comes up. And that's cool with me! That way they can catch any major issues before I loose phone calls or any other weird issues.

I seem to recall the OTA update having a longer expected timeframe and coming in as a surprise.. although they were pretty vague on when it was going to come out. At least this time we get a formal announcement saying "it's coming... sometime soon." ;)

7. durandetto

durandetto Android Enthusiast

Atleast we don't own Blackberries and have to count on a rumor coming true for an update that will never happen, just to make our phones tolerable.

8. lldsandsll

lldsandsll Well-Known Member

fyi there's some youtube vids of a droid running 2.1, and it looks ridiculously slick.

9. LTZguy

LTZguy Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with sprint, the tech rep said they were skipping 2.0 and going to 2.1 (i know this has been said already) but he also said that it will be released in the first quarter of the year...ei sometime in jan-mar. It was also said we will not be getting eclair, which is 2.0, they are skipping straight to 2.1

10. harrisdna

harrisdna Lurker

Can't wait here either! Waiting patiently for the 1H 2010 release...

11. Rakeesh

Rakeesh Lurker

Anybody here have any experience with 2.1? I am curious if they've made scrolling/zooming in the browser any faster, not to mention the overall UI more responsive.

12. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc Android Enthusiast

But is that Stock Android 2.1, or the Nexus One ROM? If its stock android 2.1, that means it's what we will see if we turn off Sense after recieving the 2.1 update... which would be awesome.

13. HTC just re-confirmed the Hero's 2.1 upgrade again yesterday. I just tweeted and asked HTC if they are concerned about Hero's processor being able to run 2.1, we'll see if they reply. I am sure you will hear an exact date from them soon and it will probably be from their Twitter. Here are the links for those interested

sprint (sprint) on Twitter

http://twitter.com/Htc

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews