• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root From stock 2.0.1 to Bugless Beast ROM (For beginners)

I give this guide 2 thumbs up. I wish everyone would do it this way instead of using the SMUpdater app. When you use that app you don't learn anything, then when shit goes bad you don't have any clues on how to fix it.

thanks you, i agree i learned so much through the process of rooting and installing ROMs im glad the SMupdater app wasnt out, no offense but im glad i learned it

Upvote 0
I'm pretty close to giving up on rooting my phone to get Bugless Beast on it. I did exactly everything the instructions told me, my phone is Rooted, and I got up to this step...

7. "Reboot Recovery"

You should now see a new recovery called 99.2b without even hitting the volume up and camera buttons.

When I reboot my phone, and hold down X, the normal reboot screen comes up, no red text or options like the ones listed below this step. Superuser is in my apps list, Tools is in my root directory of my sdcard also and I followed all the steps up until this point. I was running 2.0.1 on the Motorola Droid. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I'm pretty close to giving up on rooting my phone to get Bugless Beast on it. I did exactly everything the instructions told me, my phone is Rooted, and I got up to this step...

When I reboot my phone, and hold down X, the normal reboot screen comes up, no red text or options like the ones listed below this step. Superuser is in my apps list, Tools is in my root directory of my sdcard also and I followed all the steps up until this point. I was running 2.0.1 on the Motorola Droid. Any suggestions?

hmm, did droidroothelper force close when your first opened it? and i would redo the part where you install the 99.2b recovery. This time, before you hit install, click install busybox button, and install flash image button (both in droidroothelper/droidrootpro)

Upvote 0
hmm, did droidroothelper force close when your first opened it? and i would redo the part where you install the 99.2b recovery. This time, before you hit install, click install busybox button, and install flash image button (both in droidroothelper/droidrootpro)

No, it didn't force close. I did all the steps and the conformation popup of each action popped. I gave up. Although having the superuser premission in my apps draw is bothering me.

Upvote 0
No, it didn't force close. I did all the steps and the conformation popup of each action popped. I gave up. Although having the superuser premission in my apps draw is bothering me.

hmm, and the super user icon is a ninja? try uninstalling droidroothelper and redownloading it. You have to allow it superuser permission for it to work(which causes force close)

Upvote 0
I just got my Droid last week, and am considering switching to Bugless Beast--based on the instructions, it doesn't seem that difficult. What I was wondering is the following:
1) What are the advantages versus stock 2.0.1?
2) Will I need a new SD card for the backup, or will it use the one that already exists in the phone?
3) Regarding apps I've already downloaded (such as OpenHome, Beautiful Widgets, etc.)--will they still be there, or will I have to re-download them?
4) What's my likelihood of bricking the phone? And if I DO brick it, how difficult is it to reset, or is that permanent?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I just got my Droid last week, and am considering switching to Bugless Beast--based on the instructions, it doesn't seem that difficult. What I was wondering is the following:
1) What are the advantages versus stock 2.0.1?
2) Will I need a new SD card for the backup, or will it use the one that already exists in the phone?
3) Regarding apps I've already downloaded (such as OpenHome, Beautiful Widgets, etc.)--will they still be there, or will I have to re-download them?
4) What's my likelihood of bricking the phone? And if I DO brick it, how difficult is it to reset, or is that permanent?

Thanks!

1. Check this out LINK

2.No you dont need another SD card for backup. Your backup will simply be a folder that you can save on your PC or Mac that you can restore anytime. (you will understand how by the time you complete the guide)

3.As for your already existing apps: if you do a clean install you will have to redownload them, but if you do the update.zip method(posted at the bottom) you will not, allthough i recommend a fresh install. Keep in mind all your contacts are backed up to your gmail account and if you go to Market-->Menu-->Downloads all of your downloaded apps are conveniently placed in one area for restore.

4.I have never heard of anyone bricking there Droid. People may say they have, but there is almost always a quick fix. As for the liklihood of this happening, i would say little to none as long as you follow the guide and ask questions without skipping steps.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Upvote 0
Hello all! I am really excited about this project. Much gratitude to Kirch!!

When the phone reboots into recovery do the following:
1. wipe data/factory reset
2. wipe cache partition
3. hit backup/restore
4. click simple nandroid restore
I have gotten to this point but I do not have an option for "backup/restore". Is there a step I missed in the DroidRootHelper?

Upvote 0
Hello all! I am really excited about this project. Much gratitude to Kirch!!

I have gotten to this point but I do not have an option for "backup/restore". Is there a step I missed in the DroidRootHelper?

Sounds like your SBRecovery (99.2b recovery) was not installed properly or fully. You might try doing that step again...

Now click these buttons in this order:
1. "Mount mtdblock3 System read/write"
2. "Install an chmod busybox"
3. "Install and chmod flash_image"
4. scroll to bottom and hit " Flash 99.2b recovery"
5. "Unmount System mtdblock3"
6. "Sync"
7. "Reboot Recovery"

Upvote 0
Is there a major difference between DroidRootHelper and DroidRootPro? Thinking about the Pro to support the dev, but wondering what's extra in it?

Also, where would I find the update.zip file for BB? Have been debating which route I want to go with this--the only data on the phone is the contacts and the apps, both of which should be fairly easy to recover.

Finally, I'm assuming BB has a better home screen setup? I'm currently using OpenHome, but not sure if the need would be there for it with BB....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones