• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root From stock 2.0.1 to Bugless Beast ROM (For beginners)

Thanks for this thread; it really helped me through the rooting process.

One question: I installed BB via the update.zip file. Do I have to install a different update.zip file in order to be able to overclock?

Do you have SetCPU? If not, you'll have to download that. I think it's free from their site, but downloading from the market costs money or something...

Upvote 0
Thanks for this thread; it really helped me through the rooting process.

One question: I installed BB via the update.zip file. Do I have to install a different update.zip file in order to be able to overclock?

Yes just recently Pete has the stock clock on Bugless beast, but you download the clock you want and install it usind update.zip which you know how to do now :)

Upvote 0
for the life of me, i cannot get the 99.2b recovery to install/work. i have droidrootpro, superuser permission for it, and Tools installed in the root of my SD card. I followed the instructions, but it appears its being wiped out when i reboot. I clicked the rename recovery button in droidrootpro, but same thing happens.
any help?

After clicking the "flash 99.2b recovery" this is what I have on my phone:
/sdcard/Tools/recovery-0.99.0b.img <-should this be 99.2b?
/system/recovery-from-boot.old

so the rename recovery-from-boot.p to .old worked, but then the new one doesnt show up. . .

Upvote 0
finally got it. . . so after i found out the recovery 99.2b.img wasn't in my Tools folder, i went out and found it. put it in the folder and then flashed it. you'd think droidrootpro would give you an error message when it tried to flash an image that doesnt exist on the CD card. . . Thanks for this guide!

Upvote 0
finally got it. . . so after i found out the recovery 99.2b.img wasn't in my Tools folder, i went out and found it. put it in the folder and then flashed it. you'd think droidrootpro would give you an error message when it tried to flash an image that doesnt exist on the CD card. . . Thanks for this guide!

glad you got it worked out! i dont undertand why it wasnt in your tools folder, weird

Upvote 0
I got as far as successfully installing BB (update.zip method) and rebooting the phone. It got stuck at the droid eye startup screen then went blank and isn't responding to any button or key presses. Searching for a solution now...

Edit: Removed battery, attempted booting again. Same thing. Ugh!

Edit 2: I have successfully entered recovery mode and mounted the Droid as mass storage on my Mac. If necessary I can restore from my Nandroid backup.

Final Edit: Ended up installing the ROM via Nandroid restore method. Couldn't get the .zip method to work. All is well now.

Thank you OP for this guide!

Upvote 0
I can't seem to figure out what my issues is...
I'm looking to use the Update method.
I've followed all the instructions and I can't seem to get "allow update.zip installation" to come up at all.
Onec I go to Install I get "Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)".
Then when I try to do this I get a black screen after the boot images. I've tried this couple of times now and I can't seem to figure out the issue.
Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0
I've followed all the instructions and I can't seem to get "allow update.zip installation" to come up at all.
Then when I try to do this I get a black screen after the boot images. I've tried this couple of times now and I can't seem to figure out the issue.
Any help is appreciated.

I had this exact issue. I ended up using the nandroid backup method to install the ROM- it was an inconvenience to lose my data but it fixed my problem...

Even if your phone will not boot, you can still pull the battery, then enter recovery mode and mount it as mass storage...from there you can access your nandroid folder to upload the ROM (or a backup from stock.)

Upvote 0
I had this exact issue. I ended up using the nandroid backup method to install the ROM- it was an inconvenience to lose my data but it fixed my problem...

Even if your phone will not boot, you can still pull the battery, then enter recovery mode and mount it as mass storage...from there you can access your nandroid folder to upload the ROM (or a backup from stock.)
Thanks for the input as I was staring to think only I was having this issue.

I ended up doing that and loading the nandroid backup I took originally. I'd rather keep trying this a few different times/ways to use the update method so I don't have to lose my data.

Upvote 0
Any help is appreciated.

I think the problem here is your using "droidroothelper" which for some reason doesnt have the latest version of the recovery image. In this case you can do 2 things: buy DroitRootPro and flash the latest recovery OR to a nandroid restore

Upvote 0
I think the problem here is your using "droidroothelper" which for some reason doesnt have the latest version of the recovery image. In this case you can do 2 things: buy DroitRootPro and flash the latest recovery OR to a nandroid restore

This gave me an idea. I uploaded a Tools folder, and in the folder, I replaced the recovery they included (1b) with the newest release of SPRecovery (3b) and made the filename the same as 1b's filename. I think all DroidRootHelper does is issue the command "flash_image recovery /sdcard/Tools/recovery-0.99.1b.img" so theoretically this should force it to flash the 3b image that's named as 1b.

This will also allow people to not have to go about downloading all sorts of file explorers and plugins to download the Tools folder for DroidRootHelper (AKA, you can skip the "Get the Tools" step by downloading the RAR I uploaded, unzipping it, and placing the Tools folder on the root of your Droid's SD card).

Here's the upload if anyone's interested (or if anyone trusts me :D) : Download Tools.rar from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Upvote 0
yeah i did that.. and no su came up..

Download is done?

start these:
Now click these buttons in this order:
1. "Mount mtdblock3 System read/write"
2. "Install an chmod busybox"
3. "Install and chmod flash_image"
4. scroll to bottom and hit " Flash 99.2b recovery"
5. "Unmount System mtdblock3"
6. "Sync"
7. "Reboot Recovery"

when you start on step #1 it should come up

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones