• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From the Nexus 4 to the Droid 3...

Thanks so much, you guys! Holding down the "m" key while pressing power did the same thing as holding down the volume keys and pressing power, but it seemed to get to the menu a little faster. I didn't know which menu to go into, but bptools took me right to recovery. Phew!

Doogald's pointers seem to cover my issues with data roaming and minimoto but I still want to check out eclipse. Does it have to be installed on rom slot 1? I've watched so many rom install videos lately I'm getting them mixed up.

Doogald, do you recommend one of these roms over using pete's de-bloat script on stock?

Upvote 0
Thanks again, themib. I installed eclipse and it's really nice, and youtube works. But same issue with data, although there is the on/off setting under notifications, now that I know where to look.

Do you know what the icon that looks like a reverse refresh arrow does, it's located on the notification screen?

Next I'm going to try the de-bloat scripts on stock.

I could not have done this without you guys!

Upvote 0
I'm glad that's all working out for you.

Doogald, do you recommend one of these roms over using pete's de-bloat script on stock?

I've tried them all. I really wasn't fond of either Eclipse or Maverick. It uses a typeface which has the unfortunate effect that bold cannot be distinguished from normal face, so, when I opened Gmail, I could never tell what was unread and what was read. Minimoto didn't have that problem. I can't recall if SteelDroid, in any of its versions, ever did.

Before I updated to a new phone last August, I used to switch between Minimoto and debloated stock, and I did debloat using Pete's scripts here: [Script] Safe bloat removal script (50+ apps) [UPDATED 9/1/2011] - xda-developers

I prefer the look and feel of the stock ROM, but Minimoto ran great for me.

Reactions: MissMarvy
Upvote 0
Back on stock rom, (loving SS3) and I just installed CleanMaster. It said if I allow root access it can uninstall pre-installed bloatware. It sounds too good to be true, so I'm assuming this is a bad idea, although I don't know why?
I haven't used it, but when it comes to bloatware best to only remove remove apps in the known safe to remove list from the link above. Remove of others may cause the system to be unstable, and you may need to re-flash firmware.
You should also make a nandroid backup in safestrap, before making changes.

Upvote 0
I'm glad that's all working out for you.

I've tried them all. I really wasn't fond of either Eclipse or Maverick. It uses a typeface which has the unfortunate effect that bold cannot be distinguished from normal face, so, when I opened Gmail, I could never tell what was unread and what was read. Minimoto didn't have that problem. I can't recall if SteelDroid, in any of its versions, ever did.

Before I updated to a new phone last August, I used to switch between Minimoto and debloated stock, and I did debloat using Pete's scripts here: [Script] Safe bloat removal script (50+ apps) [UPDATED 9/1/2011] - xda-developers

I prefer the look and feel of the stock ROM, but Minimoto ran great for me.

Just curious, did you keep the stock launcher? I was thinking of installing Go Launcher, but I'm assuming it would need more resources.

Upvote 0
What I like about Pete's bloatware removal scripts is that they are reversible if I ever change my mind, etc. (Although, of course, you can always reflash the phone using RSD Lite with the latest firmware and go back to stock pretty quickly, too.)

I tried Go Launcher a few time but never loved it. My favorite replacement launcher for the Droid 3 was ADW Ex (there is also a free version ADW that you can try.) My major issue with the stock launcher was that it would always switch the wallpaper back to the default after the phone ran for a while. There must be a memory leak with it or something.

Upvote 0
Because no 2 people use these devices the same way, everyone will get different results.
Which makes hard to say which rom or launcher is best, because there is no best.
I don't recommend staying with stock launcher, Go, ADW and Holo were popular Gingerbread launchers
there is a list here The Big List of Home Launchers - March 22, 2013 (237 and counting...)

Upvote 0
I installed ADW and Holo launchers, trying to decide which to keep. Is it safe to keep the stock launcher along with one of these, as well as say, another messaging program with the stock one?

Some of the options on the de-bloat script are: launcher, messenger, MS Exchange, Motorola's widgets, DLNA, Motoprint, Motorola's social features, universal mailbox, swype, voice commands.

doogald, do you remember which ones you disabled? I think I was going to keep them all except for maybe the social features.

Upvote 0
I installed ADW and Holo launchers, trying to decide which to keep. Is it safe to keep the stock launcher along with one of these, as well as say, another messaging program with the stock one?

Sure. In fact, it's a great idea, in case you end having to uninstall a launcher. The phone must have one to boot, so that Moto launcher is a good just-in-case to keep around.

Some of the options on the de-bloat script are: launcher, messenger, MS Exchange, Motorola's widgets, DLNA, Motoprint, Motorola's social features, universal mailbox, swype, voice commands.

doogald, do you remember which ones you disabled? I think I was going to keep them all except for maybe the social features.

I kept launcher and messaging (I used the stock messaging). I don't use Activesync exchange, so I removed MS Exchange. I kept Motorola''s widgets - if I ever use the stock launcher, I use that fancy contact widget that you can pull down. I don't use DLNA, Motoprint, Moto's social features, or swype, so I removed those. I only use the GMail client for mail, so I removed the universal inbox as well. I kept the voice commands because I did have a Droid 3 car dock. (I think I still have it. If you want it, send me a private message with your mailing address and I'll send it to you. I won't use it again.)

I also removed the help and guided tours.

Upvote 0
doogald, when you ran the de-bloat script, did you still have some apps remain? I still had Blockbuster, Zumocast and some (maybe all) VZ apps. I thought maybe that was because I'm on the .906 update and it was written for the previous version.
Yes, Either they were not in earlier version or the apk name was changed.

Upvote 0
Yes, there were some that stayed. From reading the script I know that Zumocast is supposed to be disabled, but, as themib said, the app was updated so the script doesn't disable it.

There are apps that can "freeze" apps so they don't show up or run. Titanium Backup is one app that can, if you have that. I've only used Titanium for that, but search for "freeze" in the app store and you'll find some that will work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones