• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

from verizon contacts to google contacts is so much better

sdowney717

Jan 9, 2017
It was actually not too hard.
I setup my google account on the phone.
I used android app called easy backup and restore to backup everything to google drive.
I downloaded the zip backup file and unzipped the contacts.vcf file from the zip.
Then I signed into google contacts on web. imported the contacts.vcf file. For now it forces you to use the old google contact web app to import contacts.

Google contacts synced and that duplicated all my contacts showing on the phone.
Then signed into verizon website and deleted all contacts for the phone, in a few minutes verizon synced and now only the google contacts show up.

Google contacts also does profile pics and I found it to be fast compared to verizon contacts which has been awful slow and sometimes gave messages like the server is down-not responding try again later messages, just awful...

Yes can do that.

Our problem was the verizon website.
Sluggish, I add a contact, it adds. I then add another contact, it fails with error, saying cant communicate with server try again later.
Come back 15 minutes later, still can't add.
The site is crud.

Other problem, severe delay to phone syncing contacts.
Other problem we were 'trying ' to add contacts.
Eventually verizon contacts appeared in phone, but like multiple times same name.
Worst one was having 6 Jessicas show up on the phone contact list!

Google contacts is almost instant.

And the Verizon site has primitive look and feels awful to use.
I tried to contact online help chat, gave up, no one was home...worthless waste of time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones