1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Front camera mirrors text during self-video conference

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by abeltio, Mar 30, 2020.

1. abeltio

abeltio Lurker

During a live-video conference through Instagram, the front camera mirrors the image, rendering the whiteboard illegible. The event (on-line training) requires a live image of the instructor drawing on the whiteboard while broadcasting - like in a traditional classroom with the students sitting in front of the teacher.
    Slides, screen sharing, flipped still photos and any other software solution for the class are NOT an option: we must recreate the presencial classroom experience, nothing else will do.

Using the rear camera is not an option because in that case I do not see the messages from the participants in INSTAGRAM LIVE VIDEO (ONLY PLATFORM STUDENTS CAN USE - SCHOOL RULES)

WITH THE SAMSUNG S10 PLUS:
    IS THERE A WAY TO DO A LIVE VIDEO CONFERENCE, THROUGH INSTAGRAM LIVE VIDEO - BECAUSE NO OTHER PLATFORM IS ACCEPTABLE, WITH THE FRONT CAMERA THAT DOES NOT GIVE A MIRROR IMAGE OF THE WHITEBOARD DURING THE LIVE STREAMING TO RECREATE THE ACTUAL CLASSROOM EXPERIENCE?

NOTE: the SAMSUNG S10 PLUS can un-mirror still pictures taken with the front camera. this feature is not available for Live Self-video taken with the front camera. AND using the rear camera for the live video is not an option: need to see the answers and messages from the students on the screen (where the front camera is)

Help will be greatly appreciated by the 4 to 7 y.o. kids and their parents attending this class.

#1 abeltio, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Go into the phone's camera app setting for the front camera, and there should be an option for it. It's probably called "Mirror mode" or "Flip mode" or something. I don't have an S10 myself, so can't say where it is exactly

MrJavi and Dannydet like this.
  3. abeltio

abeltio Lurker

Thanks for the good intentions but the proposed solution is incorrect.

The Samsung S10 Plus does not have "Mirror mode" or "Flip mode" for live self-video AT ALL.

There is an option in the Camera Settings called:
    Pictures as Previewed
    Save selfies as they appear in the preview without flipping them

But this feature does not flip the image in the live video so the whiteboard does not show a mirror image, only in still pictures taken with the front camera.

4. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Use an app such as Zoom in the play store

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sounds like it could be an issue with the whatever it is conferencing app you're then using then. Maybe worth you contacting the developers, and see if they can fix it. Tell them what phone you've, got Android version etc

MrJavi likes this.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I'm doing online classes myself using my Huawei Mate phone with QQ Conference. And not had this problem.

7. abeltio

abeltio Lurker

Thank you for the idea. but that is not possible.

The problem must be solved exactly as stated because the students use Instagram live video.

8. abeltio

abeltio Lurker

The conferencing App is Instagram live video. It is what it is.

9. abeltio

abeltio Lurker

WIthout buying a Huawei Mate (out of the question) how does this does help with the Samsung S10 Plus? I am sorry, but I do not understand the relationship or the intent of the statement.

10. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

If Instragram doesn't have a setting for this there is probably no solution.

(Weird that school rules should force you to use Instagram - I'd have thought it more likely to be something that a school would block...).

MrJavi, mikedt and Dannydet like this.
  11. mikedt

mikedt 你好

It might be what it is, but it sounds to me like there's a real problem/bug there that needs fixing, and if there's no user settings for it, then it's only something the Instagram developers can fix in their app, that's it.

12. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Oh well, never mind.

Have a nice day.

13. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I'm thinking it could be privacy issue.

MrJavi likes this.
  14. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Instagram is owned by Facebook. Privacy is not a word that naturally comes to mind. :p

MrJavi, mikedt and Dannydet like this.

Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus release date was March 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 16MP camera, 8/12GB RAM, Exynos 9820 processor, and 4100mAh battery.

March 2019
Release Date
Reviews