• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Front Facing Camera crashes App

Yea, it'll either crash, lag, or not display the preview image correctly - the top left corner is displayed mid-field and the rest of the image appears in four parts.

I'm yet to find a standard market app that can correctly capture and show video on my TB and my wife's Galaxy Tab, either I'm upside down or she's green and pink lines. I cut the devs a little slack since front facing cameras are relatively new, but by summer, we should all have solid video chatting or else.

Upvote 0
So now that Skype is leaked, I've been messing with video. I'm rooted now, but in #3 above I wasn't. Those problems are still in my way, yet my son's TB works fine.

I've tried the clear data fix. Tried force close, clear data. Tried a reboot. I get about 20-30 seconds of FFC image preview in camera mode, less in camcorder mode, then the image freezes. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes not. Sometimes if I switch to main camera then back again I get a black screen, sometimes I get an image.

In Skype I get a force close eventually, after about 45 seconds of perfect voice and a black screen that should be video between the usual Skype buttons.

I find it hard to believe that this could be a hardware problem, and I'm really reluctant to backing up, unrooting, going into Vz for a replacement, rerooting, and restoring. I would hope there's some other possible way to fix this.

The only video app I ever installed that could potentially cause a problem is the Evo Qik app. I've uninstalled it, because these FFC video problems were happening back in March, like my post above says. I've looked all over to try to find anything Qik might have stored that is specific to an Evo and is causing the HTC camera app to have these problems.

Can anybody throw me a pile of guesses to try? Pleeeez? FWIW, once I post this I'm going to read up on unrooting. I think a replacement TB is going to be the only way. Surprise me.

BTW, I forgot to say that I only installed Qik pre-wipe for root. Anything Qik did, it did in a place that no longer exists.

Upvote 0
I've had my TB for about three months now. I'm just now trying FFC-enabled apps like Fring.

I go to Camera and then switch to the FFC. It gives me a blank screen, and if I'm lucky, 30 sec later I get a FFC image that is mucked up - the image is "offset" - the right 1/3 of the image appears on the left 1/3 of the screen, if that makes sense at all. In the meantime it is slow as ---, pressing the Menu key doesn't do anything and eventually it returns to the home screen.

I deleted the cache through the Settings as noted in this thread and reset the Camera using the menu within the app.

Short of a factory reset, which would be an enormous pain in the arse, anyone have any other suggestions? Or is the camera dead?

Edit: not rooted, SW version 1.70.605.0 (includes the July 2011 update)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones