• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo 2.2 could be coming to a Hero near you!

Many of you are expecting the developers to adapt Froyo to the Hero. Unfortunately, most (if not all) of the developers will move on the Evo fairly soon. In a few months, there may not be anyone left working on the Hero.

There are a few very good developers who have already said they are sticking around. If you hopped over to XDA you would see there are already threads with slightly functional froyo ports and devs keeping up with the source drop to implement a full working version. It will be done :D

Upvote 0
The Sprint HTC Hero and the T-Mobile HTC myTouch 3G have virtually the same specifications under the hood. This is in regards to CPU speed and RAM capacity.

Theoretically, there should be no issue updating our handsets to Android 2.2. I just do not know if HTC and Sprint will want to support another update.

This is what I'm thinking. It is not an issue of whether or not froyo will work on the hero. Things coming in froyo are already in roms, ones that I run. So everyone saying that the hardware would not allow it is mistaken imo. And that mytouch is extra proof. The issue is HTC overhauling yet another update to the hero, because unlike the mytouch, the hero doesn't just run googles android. None the less, I could care less if sprint releases an official froyo update. Especially after what I'm hearing about the 2.1. Once devs start taking a look at froyo source, im confident we will have it on our heros.

Upvote 0
If you think about it, 2.1 to 2.2 is not nearly as rough of an upgrade as was 1.5 to 2.1. So there could be the possibility that the Hero could get a legit update for it.

I tend to agree with this. Not to mention that HTC should be relatively well versed in updating the Sense UI for to new Android versions at this point.

Of course, it all comes down to money and resources. If HTC and Sprint are pushing the Sprint HTC EVO 4G, they are likely going to be putting all the resources towards developing for that handset as well.

Upvote 0
Well, I will just leave you with this bit of info:

The Hero's hardware is almost 2 years old. The EVO is the top-of-the-line smartphone on the market now that makes everything look like a joke. Ever notice just how slow your Hero is? The EVO is lightning fast.

Ha, what a joke, I've never noticed how "slow" it is. Some people are a bunch of whiners, or brats.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones