• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo 2.2 Hotspot Tethering Problems

unquick

Mar 6, 2010
Has anyone else notice the slow tethering speed on Froyo (FRF91)?

I ran speedtest on 3 devices while tethering is turned. Here are the result:
Nexus One (the tethering host device): 2Mbit/s down, 600Kbit up
My laptop on WIN 7 (connect to the hotspot): 200Kbit/s D, 600Kbit up
Ipad (connected to the hotspot): 400Kb down, 600Kb up

The slow speed really annoys me. Even youtube is not watchable at the lowest quality setting.

However, the upload speed is actually stay unaffected in all 3 situations, which made me think somehow the speed is controlled by Froyo.

Any suggestion on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am on Rogers network.

Any suggestion on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.
a) Buy a dedicated 3G wifi Router
b) Wait till the next release...
c) Be grateful you didn't suffer the speeds I started with in IT - 2,400 bps (!) - and that was if you could make it work - in 1974... IBM Mainframe to mini-computer...

Cheers!

Lodger

Upvote 0
After a little bit testing, here is something that I have found interesting so far...

For my laptop, I was able to get 3Mbit/s while it is plug-ed in. When it runs on battery only, I get 300Kbit/s. However, the Ipad testing result remained the same. It wasn't able to hit the 1Mbit/s mark.

It made me believe that the wifi tethering speed is depending on your wifi signal. Higher power = Faster speed

Unfortunately, I do not have other devices that are capable of testing. It would be interesting to see how things could be turned out differently on a Mac.

Upvote 0
a) Buy a dedicated 3G wifi Router
b) Wait till the next release...
c) Be grateful you didn't suffer the speeds I started with in IT - 2,400 bps (!) - and that was if you could make it work - in 1974... IBM Mainframe to mini-computer...

Cheers!

Lodger

We had a 300 bps acoustic coupler in the "computer lab" of the high school I attended in the early '70s. And keyboard input with output to a line printer ... no terminal. And we'd have to scratch our programs on the cave walls with flint ... that is if the T-rex didn't eat you first. ;)

Upvote 0
@unquick: Your second post confuses me and seems to contradict your first post.

From what I read in your first post you recorded that your N1 was capable of an upper limit of 2Mbps d/l and .6Mbps u/l. The two devices you connected to the hotspot never got a download speed anywhere close to that.

But in your second post you mentioned your laptop getting over that 2Mbps d/l limit you mentioned in the first post and acheiving 3Mbps d/l speeds. ??

Did you have a consistent number of bars in 3G when you tested each device? There was a big difference for me when I used speedtest at 4bars versus 3bars.
During testing you should ...
- place your phone down on a desk
- monitor that the phone's signal strength remains fairly constant (i.e. consistent bars or better yet consistent dB signal strength)
- run speed test on your N1 without picking it up (hotspot off)
- turn hotspot on
- test the speeds of your other devices making sure not to move the N1 and verifying that the signal remained consistent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones