• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Froyo(2.2) platform for SDK

Wow, I feel like I just got bitchslapped there. I better not let Inssane know I live and work in Chicago or he's going to come get me for saying that there will be 2.2 features coming in ROM's soon.

No - sorry if I came out rude. We all appreciate the info, but I was severely traumatized on crackberry when the 5.0 OS was going to be released. So many threads were started with speculations of dates and it got way out of hand. When there are so many speculations, people get impatient because they believe everything on the internet.
Sometimes it seems that the same thing is happening here.

I was kinda hoping that you actually knew for a fact so I could get excited and ansy about it.
;)

Upvote 0
I got where you were going, just figured I had to come back a bit too ;)

Trust me, I had the same issues with the Crackberry, I've been doing the smartphone thing for close to 9 years now and this is the happiest I have been with one, but yes I want more.

What I think will happen is the same thing that happened with 2.1. We will slowly start seeing trickles of the 2.2 features coming out in the ROMs, there also will likely be a fairly fast and furious amount of upgraded and adding of news ROMs, just like with 2.1.

Just a matter of when that starts which is the 10 million dollar question

Upvote 0
I got where you were going, just figured I had to come back a bit too ;)

In the words of White Goodman...Touche'

All I want is better battery life, for real. BB V1 official is too inconsistent and I am racking my brain trying to figure out why. The leak was much better on battery and I had good battery life the first few days of the official, but that was it.

I just hate how I had it and now it's gone, and no I won't go down from 1200 :)

Yeah the trickle effect will definitely happen, then we will have people b!tching that flash is taking too long, LOL.

Upvote 0
In the words of White Goodman...Touche'

All I want is better battery life, for real. BB V1 official is too inconsistent and I am racking my brain trying to figure out why. The leak was much better on battery and I had good battery life the first few days of the official, but that was it.

I just hate how I had it and now it's gone, and no I won't go down from 1200 :)

Yeah the trickle effect will definitely happen, then we will have people b!tching that flash is taking too long, LOL.

try another rom. I had my droid unplugged for 26 hours before it died the other day

Upvote 0
What ROM are you using OMJ?
I have bounced between NexBeast and V1 and never really took the time with Nex and examining the batt. I am just pissed because V1 WAS running right, and somewhere it went wrong.
I am tired of wipes and reorganizing icons. I have them written down in order by screen on paper, LOL.

OK, tell me the ROM you use and I will stop pirating this as a battery thread, dammit now I am doing it, lmao.

Upvote 0
What ROM are you using OMJ?
I have bounced between NexBeast and V1 and never really took the time with Nex and examining the batt. I am just pissed because V1 WAS running right, and somewhere it went wrong.
I am tired of wipes and reorganizing icons. I have them written down in order by screen on paper, LOL.

OK, tell me the ROM you use and I will stop pirating this as a battery thread, dammit now I am doing it, lmao.

Im using Cyanogenmod 5.0.7test1

Upvote 0
I understand that it gets tiresome to see it posted over and over again "when is it coming". At the same time, it's also a little frustrating that it has been published all over the internet that froyo was going to be launched at this years google I/O. So what does that mean????? I understand why people have this question. How do you have a launch date, show off what it does, but then say absolutely nothing about the process that needs to take place before we see it on our phones. There is nearly as many answers to this question as there are people on this forum. I just thought it was a poor way to do things.

"Today we launch 2.2..... Here's what it does... Isn't it great! Thanks and goodnight!"

What the?????????

Upvote 0
I understand that it gets tiresome to see it posted over and over again "when is it coming". At the same time, it's also a little frustrating that it has been published all over the internet that froyo was going to be launched at this years google I/O. So what does that mean????? I understand why people have this question. How do you have a launch date, show off what it does, but then say absolutely nothing about the process that needs to take place before we see it on our phones. There is nearly as many answers to this question as there are people on this forum. I just thought it was a poor way to do things.

"Today we launch 2.2..... Here's what it does... Isn't it great! Thanks and goodnight!"

What the?????????

Well, I used to work in computer hardware (sold Video Cards to etailers). It seems that google is using the hardware vendor's model. This is what we would call a "Soft Launch". That is when you know your product will come out in the next month or 2 (sometimes sooner or later), and you want to generate hype. For hardware, it was showing gaming benchmarks and things like that. "Hard Launch" is the street date (date you can buy). So essentially, google did what most hardware makers do, have a soft launch without giving definitive dates for a hard launch...Unfortunately, it's all to common in the computer industry.

Upvote 0
Kind of...Someone took the APK and made a N1 Only rom out of it...Not really usable at this point (slow, not all features work, market doesn't work, etc)..

From XDA...

okay so i just flashed pauls froyo over cm 5.0.7 t2... and it booted just fine. i didn't do a wipe, i just flashed the rom on top. i had no themes or addons installed, only pershoots kernel (which got overwritten by tek's kernel that was included in pauls rom)

it isn't full froyo, but from what i can tell these are the updated apps:
camera (super fast! video recording fps is really quick too... )
gallery (the new stacks feature and it's actually a tad faster on startup)
navigation (just the buttons, instead of the rainbow thing)
youtube (auto high quality setting now included)
input settings (language & keyboard settings) looks different. each keyboard has it's own little submenu instead of all in one

2.2 Froyo sdk download available!!!! - Page 26 - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I just loaded this up in the emulator, didn't play around too much. Here're some screenshots:

homescreen.png
device.png

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
Yeah, can't do much on it. I tried to download the Flash 10.1 apk on it, but no dice..lol

**EDIT**

A few more things. In the Nexus1 System Dumps thread at XDA they claim to have a Froyo Dump (but are currently trying to remove watermarks, so no download available yet).

I tried to push the new Camera.apk (from the N1 Emulator Rom), but no dice (have to modify framerwork I guess). Now my camera doesn't show up (I did a Nandroid backup right before though :D )

Upvote 0
I pulled the Music, Mms, and Gallery apk's, resigned them, and tried to install, but our SDK (version 7) is "too old"

My guess is they artificially put that check in to make sure nobody back ported these to 2.1. I doubt they actually call any APIs that 2.1 doesn't have.

I wonder if there's a way to get rid of that little requirement...?

Not sure how yours is set up, but I got "SDK too old" also. I have my original "Tools" folder in my "my documents" and another copy on C:adb\tools (easier to get to in command line). I deleted the tools folder in C: and copied the new tools folder from my documents to C:adb\tools and then I was able to push stuff on there...Let me know if any of the apps work.

If you are pulling the apps from the "SDK ROM", then you won't notice any difference, because those apps are not present in the SDK, so I **THINK** he just put in 2.1 apps to make a full rom (I tried gallery & launcher, and they seem to be stock 2.1). The Camera APK is new in the SDK, so I tried that one and it didn't work (as stated above)...

Upvote 0
I pulled the apps from my emulator, while running 2.2 on it. It has all the apps minus the gapps.

However, I believe the way they were compiled, the target sdk was version 8 (Android 2.2), and therefore, won't install on our phones. I'm just wondering if there's a way around that.

I think we'd have to get the source code, and rebuild it for sdk 7 (2.1), but it's not out on AOSP yet :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones