1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Froyo 2.2 Updated For Rogers Thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gn005virtu3, Feb 5, 2011.

1. gn005virtu3

gn005virtu3 Newbie

At least there are a few of us with Rogers, so I figured I'd create an update thread for us.

I didn't get a chance to copy the log, but I spoke to a Rogers rep online today, and they said to talk to Dell. LOL. Dell says the release is carrier dependant. :thinking: The Rogers rep also said to check www.redboard.rogers.com, as any info pertaining to the update may be posted there.

If anyone has any luck, please post here!

Virtu3

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. gn005virtu3

gn005virtu3 Newbie

<sigh>....waiting....and waiting....

Anyone remember "waiting for Godot" from highschool?

3. 40milesout

40milesout Newbie

you should be able to use the qdl tool and flash the unlocked froyo on your phone. i have att and i used the qdl tool and my phone is running 2.2. i know that att and rogers are on the same frequency so it should work. i have an unlocked rogers phone i use sometimes and it works great on att.

gn005virtu3 likes this.
  4. gn005virtu3

gn005virtu3 Newbie

I thought the 2.2 was a beta? Maybe I read incorrectly? What about when the actual release from Rogers does come out? Will the phone still update? Or do I need to revert back to 1.6, then do the update?

And if I am to go this route, do I follow the instructions I see in the AT&T Streak Froyo thread? Is the 3G issue fixed with this 2.2?

5. gn005virtu3

gn005virtu3 Newbie

Also got this email from a rep from the RedBoard by Rogers:

Redboard Feedback <redboardfeedback@rci.rogers.com>
    to MYEMAIL@gmail.com
    date Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    subject RE: A comment from GN005Virtu3
    mailed-by rci.rogers.com
    Important mainly because of the words in the message.
    hide details 4:24 PM (7 hours ago)
    Hi GN005Virtu3,

Rogers is currently testing the 2.2 update on our network to ensure the
    best experience for our customers. We anticipate that it will be
    available before the Spring.

Thanks!
    -Stacey, part of the Rogers RedBoard team

6. 40milesout

40milesout Newbie

the way the qdl tool works is that is loads a pre release version of 2.2. then you go to the update that dell has on their site and then you are up to date running the unlocked version of froyo just as if you had bought a streak directly from dell. there is no 3g issue that i have seen. and because you would have the updated unlocked froyo, there would be no need to go with the rogers update.

gn005virtu3 likes this.
  7. gn005virtu3

gn005virtu3 Newbie

Read through the instructions for Streakmod, and the main instructions for 64bit windows...seems really complicated....I'm embarrassed to say that I come from a pretty strong technical background, although I was never much of a programmer...

Anyone wanna PM me to walk me through this? :)

I have 64 bit windows 7, I don't quite understand the StreakMod process....meh....
    maybe I'll just wait for the official release from Rogers? :)

8. 40milesout

40milesout Newbie

just go here, it will have a tutorial you can watch, the drivers you need, and tbe qdl tool. I watched the tutorial, loaded the drivers, then ran the qdl tool. within 10 minutes my phone was converted to the unlocked froyo 2.2.... my phone is so much better. here is the link below:

Guides | Streakdroid

gn005virtu3 likes this.
  9. gn005virtu3

gn005virtu3 Newbie

Can't seem to get this part working. When I goto settings/about phone, system updates, it goes to this site:

http://update.zingstaging.com/?version=GAUSxxxxxx etc.

I am debating to load the official from ATT like you menioned, or the 1.70 from DJ Steve?

Can you guide me here? I even downloaded the Streak_318_12821_00.pkg from the support forum for Dell regarding the Froyo 2.2 but have no idea how to install it.

Thanks again for your help.

10. gn005virtu3

gn005virtu3 Newbie

Hey 40, I just read up on your thread titled: "official 2.2 update online! Simple and quick very cool !!! "

I am downloading now. I guess this is the route to get the official update?

11. gn005virtu3

gn005virtu3 Newbie

Managed to updated to unlocked(?) 2.2 official from Dell. That's what it is I believe. Here comes another day for less work and more play!

12. 40milesout

40milesout Newbie

you had mentioned tbat you downloaded the 00.pkg that is what you download and run after you have ran the qdl tool. after that presto! you have the current unlocmed 2.2 froyo

13. gn005virtu3

gn005virtu3 Newbie

Thoroughly enjoying 2.2 loaded through QDL tool. But seriously, when is the official update coming from Rogers????

14. Crimson13

Crimson13 Member

Don't know when last anyone checked, just loaded up a dell streak for testing and went to the firmware update on the device itself and it grabbed a Rogers 2.2 build.

15. gn005virtu3

gn005virtu3 Newbie

Roger that Crimson. Just got the following email from Rogers, as I had posted a question on the Rogers RedBoard site:

Date: Feb 24, 2011 2:08 PM
    Subject: RE: A comment from Eugene Kim
    To: <my email address>

Hi Eugene,

The Android 2.2 update is now available for the Dell Streak! From your
    device, go here to download the software: http://bit.ly/hzHjU0

Best,
    Katie

16. gn005virtu3

gn005virtu3 Newbie

Currently running 2.2 NOT from Rogers. When I tried to install the Rogers 2.2 update, I got an error after the reboot. Do I need to revert back to the Factory 1.6? If so, how do I manage this? Crimson, did you get the 2.2 from Rogers installed?

17. gn005virtu3

gn005virtu3 Newbie

K, messed up my phone for the better part of last night. I tried to do the downgrades to O2's 2.1, then O2's 1.6, then to AT&T's 1.6 as per the downgrade guide on XDA. Phone got stuck after the 2.1 downgrade. Would hang at the Dell logo, doing the update.pkg, would only result in hanging at a black screen.
    --------
    OK, got myself out of the stuck @ Dell Logo/Stuck at black screen during update.pkg jam.
    Just QDL the sucker.
    Now, how do I install the official Rogers 2.2 update after using the QDL tool?
    Can I just download and install, or what do I need to do to revert back to some version to be able to install the Official Rogers 2.2 update?

18. gn005virtu3

gn005virtu3 Newbie

Well, as an FYI:

I wasn't able to go back to 1.6.
    But I managed to fix my phone. If you get stuck on the Dell Logo, or black screen, and want to get your phone running, use the QDL tool to update to the base 2.2.

I decided to go the DJ Steve route, and am using the 1.8.0 build of 2.2. Working great so far.

Dell Streak Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews