• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo 3G problems

I had this problem. I called VZW expecting them to not know what to do. My tech told me to take out the battery, then he took my phone completely off the network. He programmed my account to a phone he had there and then re-added my account back to my phone. I re-installed my battery booted my phone and re-programmed it using *228 option 1. The phone restarted and I haven't lost 3g...yet. I even returned to the spot where I first lost 3g and so far it's holding.

NOW: if I could get the weather widget to properly update my location. I read a post where a guy said that HTC knows about this problem and it's with Accuweather finding the location.

The next thing to tackle is the shitty battery life. I installed Battery Left and charged my phone all night. I woke up and turned it on and Battery Left said I have 6 hours.....WTF???? Although, Battery Left isn't fully calibrated yet. I turned the phone off and am trying to bump charge. I just can't believe that the phone uses 6% battery just checking mail and facebook and looking at a few settings!!

The best thing to do for battery life is Root, install an undervolted kernal , download set cpu and make some battery saving profiles for when the battery is getting low and when the screen is off. I'm getting 24+hrs up and 6+hrs awake time on my stock battery now. PRetty much have doubled my battery life since rooting

Upvote 0
I had this problem. I called VZW expecting them to not know what to do. My tech told me to take out the battery, then he took my phone completely off the network. He programmed my account to a phone he had there and then re-added my account back to my phone. I re-installed my battery booted my phone and re-programmed it using *228 option 1. The phone restarted and I haven't lost 3g...yet. I even returned to the spot where I first lost 3g and so far it's holding.

NOW: if I could get the weather widget to properly update my location. I read a post where a guy said that HTC knows about this problem and it's with Accuweather finding the location.

The next thing to tackle is the shitty battery life. I installed Battery Left and charged my phone all night. I woke up and turned it on and Battery Left said I have 6 hours.....WTF???? Although, Battery Left isn't fully calibrated yet. I turned the phone off and am trying to bump charge. I just can't believe that the phone uses 6% battery just checking mail and facebook and looking at a few settings!!

Have you turned the phone on/off since then? I think the *228 thing works just because it causes the phone to reboot. It doesn't really fix anything.

Reactions: SCARLETnGREY
Upvote 0
I don't think the two are related. I've found (on Froyo at least) that wi-fi over rules 3G. If the phone has a wi-fi connection, it won't use 3G for data. That's been my experience at least. I think I may have to downgrade to 2.1, root my phone and void my warranty just to block the 2.2 update.

The replacement phone I got had the same issue. I downgraded it to 2.1 which fixed the problem. The 2.2 update came down. I figured it might be something to do with how I applied the update. So I took the OTA update. The problem came back. In my testing, it has always had to do with 2.2 and I've not had the problem with stock 2.1. I know others have, but I have not.

The fact that the wifi overrules and disables 3G is part of what got me thinking about it. I'm wondering if theres a bug that when you are not on wifi, 3G still THINKS you are, and is therefore disabled. I haven't been able to drop my 3G again yet, so I still have not been able to test any of this:( Lol, I've got to be the only person TRYING to lose his 3g....

Never said it wasn't a 2.2 issue, my question was what exactly in it is causing it, and is it fixable.

Upvote 0
The fact that the wifi overrules and disables 3G is part of what got me thinking about it. I'm wondering if theres a bug that when you are not on wifi, 3G still THINKS you are, and is therefore disabled. I haven't been able to drop my 3G again yet, so I still have not been able to test any of this:( Lol, I've got to be the only person TRYING to lose his 3g....

Never said it wasn't a 2.2 issue, my question was what exactly in it is causing it, and is it fixable.

I understand what you're saying and I tried this myself. I disabled wi-fi, rebooted the phone and I still have no 3G every other reboot.

Upvote 0
I understand what you're saying and I tried this myself. I disabled wi-fi, rebooted the phone and I still have no 3G every other reboot.

I think theres more to it than just turning it on or off. Perhaps it's even caused by something else ( like browsing the web while connected, or failing to connect to an access point. )

I'm getting this all from the fact that inside of safe mode ( so no extraneous factors at all ), when I had no problems at all with 3G, I fiddled with wifi for a bit, opened the browser and browsed to these forums...while typing a post I lost 3g and I had to cycle the network. This repeated about 5 times until I went into wifi, changed a number of settings again...and 3g has been back 100% since.

Yes, it is perfectly possible it is just a coincidence, but on the off chance I think it is worth investigating in detail. Especially the fact that I did not just get it working again temporarily, but it has held through multiple reboots ( and even actually trying to lose 3G again for about 10 mins. I still haven't gotten back around to playing with those settings, been busy either on here or with other stuff. )

Upvote 0
I think theres more to it than just turning it on or off. Perhaps it's even caused by something else ( like browsing the web while connected, or failing to connect to an access point. )

I'm getting this all from the fact that inside of safe mode ( so no extraneous factors at all ), when I had no problems at all with 3G, I fiddled with wifi for a bit, opened the browser and browsed to these forums...while typing a post I lost 3g and I had to cycle the network. This repeated about 5 times until I went into wifi, changed a number of settings again...and 3g has been back 100% since.

Yes, it is perfectly possible it is just a coincidence, but on the off chance I think it is worth investigating in detail. Especially the fact that I did not just get it working again temporarily, but it has held through multiple reboots ( and even actually trying to lose 3G again for about 10 mins. I still haven't gotten back around to playing with those settings, been busy either on here or with other stuff. )

What? You have a life that doesn't involve playing with your phone? You are an odd duck for sure.

Anyway, I've not ran into an issue where the phone was working fine and then 3G was lost. For me, if 3G is working, it works just fine no matter where I go or what I do. It doesn't stop working until I turn the phone off and on again. Once I do, I have no 3G. I can drive around town, toggle wifi, etc.... but I have no 3G. The only thing that fixes it is either toggling airplane mode or turning the phone off and on again.

Upvote 0
This problem definitely seems to be connected to being in area where the signal is weak and the new radio. I am at work this weekend and so far have lost connection to data 3 times already. One time when I was in the middle of sending/receiving texts.

With 2.1, I could at least get 1x and stay connected in my office which in the interior of the building away from the windows. Now, with 2.2 I always lose signal after 30 mins or so. Also, Airplane mode hangs sometimes so I have to power-cycle the phone.

At this point, I am debating between downgrading or asking Verzion for a refurb. Froyo has turned this phone into a $600 brick for me. Also, I think that there will be a lot more folks complaining about this issue after Labor Day.

Upvote 0
This problem definitely seems to be connected to being in area where the signal is weak and the new radio. I am at work this weekend and so far have lost connection to data 3 times already. One time when I was in the middle of sending/receiving texts.

With 2.1, I could at least get 1x and stay connected in my office which in the interior of the building away from the windows. Now, with 2.2 I always lose signal after 30 mins or so. Also, Airplane mode hangs sometimes so I have to power-cycle the phone.

At this point, I am debating between downgrading or asking Verzion for a refurb. Froyo has turned this phone into a $600 brick for me. Also, I think that there will be a lot more folks complaining about this issue after Labor Day.

I don't think it's always connected to a weak signal. I've got a strong signal where I am and I can recreate the problem consistently. I downgraded to 2.1 and rooted which blocked the FroYo update. It's good times for me now.

Upvote 0

UPDATE: I lost 3G again tonight!!!! Switching to airplane mode fixed it. It seems like I have a tower problem with my closest tower to something. I buddy of mine is visiting VA and having similar problems. Switching to airplane mode reset it. I am not paying $30 a month for no 3G....F that!

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I lost 3G again tonight!!!! Switching to airplane mode fixed it. It seems like I have a tower problem with my closest tower to something. I buddy of mine is visiting VA and having similar problems. Switching to airplane mode reset it. I am not paying $30 a month for no 3G....F that!

This problem is also remedied by going back to 2.1. Looks like a software bug.

Upvote 0
One thing I did notice, by watching the "Turning on" status under mobile networks when it cant connect is that a message flickers on and off a few times for the first few minutes like there is a problem with something. Anyone with root or capturing software able to find out what this error is so we can report it to verizon/htc?

Upvote 0
This problem is also remedied by going back to 2.1. Looks like a software bug.

Not for everyone. I have reverted back to 2.1 multiple times and still can't get 3G. Additionally, last week Verizon sent me a replacement DINC with 2.1 on it and the minute I took it out of the box and powered it up it COULD NOT connect to 3G. Called tech support and they told me to connect to WiFi and allow the 2.2 OTA update to get applied and that 'should fix the problem'. Well it didn't.

So in my experience it is not Android version related nor handset related...seems like a Verizon issue from my experience.

I am on hold with Verizon now looking for an update to my trouble ticket.

Upvote 0
Not for everyone. I have reverted back to 2.1 multiple times and still can't get 3G. Additionally, last week Verizon sent me a replacement DINC with 2.1 on it and the minute I took it out of the box and powered it up it COULD NOT connect to 3G. Called tech support and they told me to connect to WiFi and allow the 2.2 OTA update to get applied and that 'should fix the problem'. Well it didn't.

So in my experience it is not Android version related nor handset related...seems like a Verizon issue from my experience.

You are talking about an entirely different problem(and a whole other topic) - NOT related to froyo. The problem this thread is about, is something that is 2.2 related..

Upvote 0
i tried *228 option 2.

no dice.

it worked after the initial reboot from reprogramming. then after rebooting it 3 more times manually, 3g STILL only came back after toggling Airplane mode.

i guess its really just an annoyance. as long as i can get it working one way or another, right?

Upvote 0
I had the same issue this past week:

recently purchased my HTC Incredible last month online and received it and it worked amazing. I received the OTA update for 2.2 and was super excited. Did the upgrade and ever since then I have been having issues connecting to the browser BUT its only when the phone is shut off and then turned back on. That is when I receive an error message in the browser stating it cannot connect or if you try to go Facebook or Twitter it states I'm not connected and to please connect.When you go into the "Wireless & Networks" setting it shows its trying to "connect" to Mobile Network. If you turn the phone off again and turn it back on then the internet connection is fine.

I have called Verizon 4 times. They had me do a hard reset and it still is having issues. I went to the Verizon store last night and the tech didn't attempt to really do anything but was going to order a replacement since I'm still within my 30 days (they had none in stock). But of course I'd have to send the phone back, wait for a credit and then purchase the phone again and in the mean time go back to my crappy BlackBerry Curve.

I'm trying to see if anyone can help, this phone worked perfectly until I did the 2.2 update. If you turn the phone off and then turn it back on again the internet connection is fine but this gets very frustrating. So do I leave my phone on all the time and never shut it off or is there anything else I can do to try and fix this or send it back for a brand new one? **sigh**. I'm so disappointed right now.

Update as of 9/8/10:

I finally took my phone to another Verizon store, they asked me to leave my phone for 1 hour for the tech to look at it. Came back and they had already ordered a replacement phone for me. I will be getting it Thursday. So for now, I just won't turn my phone off. Like I said, it only has issues when you turn the phone off and then back on (and then you have to turn it off and on again to work again).

So my question is, am I getting a brand new phone or a refurbished one...(do they even have those?)..I'm within my 30 days so I should (and want a brand new one) sent to me. I called the Verizon store I went to and they said its a new one, however when I called VZW on the phone they said its a replacement, which could mean anything.

I guess I'll see on Thursday. If its not brand new its going back! I want a brand new one since I'm within my 30 days of purchasing the phone.

I still love the Incredible but am very disappointed that after I waited for Froyo that I started having issues with the internet connection.

Upvote 0

For me and just about everyone else on this thread, the issue only shows up with 2.2. I had no 3G issues at all until they pushed the Froyo update. Once they did, I had issues with Froyo. Once I went back to Eclair, the problem went away.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue this past week:

recently purchased my HTC Incredible last month online and received it and it worked amazing. I received the OTA update for 2.2 and was super excited. Did the upgrade and ever since then I have been having issues connecting to the browser BUT its only when the phone is shut off and then turned back on. That is when I receive an error message in the browser stating it cannot connect or if you try to go Facebook or Twitter it states I'm not connected and to please connect.When you go into the "Wireless & Networks" setting it shows its trying to "connect" to Mobile Network. If you turn the phone off again and turn it back on then the internet connection is fine.

I have called Verizon 4 times. They had me do a hard reset and it still is having issues. I went to the Verizon store last night and the tech didn't attempt to really do anything but was going to order a replacement since I'm still within my 30 days (they had none in stock). But of course I'd have to send the phone back, wait for a credit and then purchase the phone again and in the mean time go back to my crappy BlackBerry Curve.

I'm trying to see if anyone can help, this phone worked perfectly until I did the 2.2 update. If you turn the phone off and then turn it back on again the internet connection is fine but this gets very frustrating. So do I leave my phone on all the time and never shut it off or is there anything else I can do to try and fix this or send it back for a brand new one? **sigh**. I'm so disappointed right now.

Update as of 9/8/10:

I finally took my phone to another Verizon store, they asked me to leave my phone for 1 hour for the tech to look at it. Came back and they had already ordered a replacement phone for me. I will be getting it Thursday. So for now, I just won't turn my phone off. Like I said, it only has issues when you turn the phone off and then back on (and then you have to turn it off and on again to work again).

So my question is, am I getting a brand new phone or a refurbished one...(do they even have those?)..I'm within my 30 days so I should (and want a brand new one) sent to me. I called the Verizon store I went to and they said its a new one, however when I called VZW on the phone they said its a replacement, which could mean anything.

I guess I'll see on Thursday. If its not brand new its going back! I want a brand new one since I'm within my 30 days of purchasing the phone.

I still love the Incredible but am very disappointed that after I waited for Froyo that I started having issues with the internet connection.

your problem is the exact same problem this topic is about. we're ALL experiencing this. people have replaced their phones, downgraded to 2.1, toggled airplane mode on and off, and even reprogrammed their phone with *228 option 2. but nothing works.

as of right now, it seems like the only work around is toggling airplane mode on and off. it works for some, but not all.

unfortunately, all signs point to this being a software problem so getting a new phone probably isnt the way to go.

Upvote 0
After 6 days of no issues the 3G issue showed up and no matter what I did, it would not return. So I did a hard reset. BAD MOVE. After activating the phone, none of the settings are correct in NAM 1.

Luckily I still had my old TouchPro sitting around so I took the settings off of it. Still a no go.

Upvote 0
I never had this 3G problem in 2.1. I got the OTA last Friday and have never had this 3G problem until TODAY. So annoying. *228 did the job for me upon reprogramming reboot. t

My phone ran so much better before this update. so annoying.

Have you rebooted since the *228? I don't think *228 really fixes the problem. I think it's the fact that the phone reboots afterwards that fixes it.

Upvote 0
Please go report this stuff to Verizon tech support. They keep wanting to send me a refurb......I'm like it's not the phone, it's the software! I did call Verizon last night on an unrelated issue and the woman taking my called confirmed lots of issues with the Froyo.....All those people who told me to be patient, because we are going to get a bug free version of Froyo can go piss up a rope!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones