• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Froyo and the Yellow ! of Death...app idea

Roymus

Jul 18, 2010
I have a rooted Froyo (Unrevoked 3) and, like most of you in the same boat, get the Yellow ! of Death when I try to install the 2.2 Sprint OTA. Fortunately, a battery pull and restart restores the handset to 2.1, no harm done. Haven't tried again...yet.

I know this has been done to death, but please bear with me. I think I speak for many of us when I say: I'm not interested in custom ROMs with cool names like Cyanogen or DamageControl that require 50+ steps to install (not an exaggeration...I've read the posts!). I am ONLY interested in getting free WiFi tethering (at least at the moment), and possibly using a few of the apps requiring SuperUser permissions. I come from a Palm Pre which was rooted, overclocked, and heavily patched. The difference: you HAD to do these things to the Pre to get acceptable performance out of the thing. I enjoy browsing the amazing capabilities of the stock Evo and perusing the app market (I've probably spent over nearly $200 on apps and I've had the phone for barely 2 weeks!). Coming from a rooted and heavily patched Pre, I understand why full rooting appeals to many of you...but I think the Evo rocks just the way it is.

The current crop of smartphones are amazingly complex devices, much more so than a desktop or laptop (when was the last time you made a call on your laptop while simultaneously browsing naughty pictures AND providing WiFi access to a roomful of kids?). I'm sure the custom ROMs are quality products, but as a 20+ year IT professional I would prefer sticking with the stock ROM, which has presumably passed a suite of professionally managed QA tests (no laughing please). On the Pre, the custom kernels were always twitchy and subject to random restarts or lockups...my Evo has been pretty solid so far, and I'm really not interested in going down that road with the Evo by installing a custom ROM.

My point: if anyone on here can figure out a foolproof, "one-click" method of getting this bad boy rooted so we can get free WiFi and admin-access apps, AND still maintain a smooth upgrade path to Froyo and beyond...I'm pretty sure you could charge a premium price for that. I know I'd pay it. Then, I can get back to providing that WiFi access to the kiddies while browsing naughty web sites...WITH Flash! :)

One more thing: a co-worker just showed me the one-click rooting app on his iPhone (it's called PDFExploit)...it even allows you to select what level of root you want (there were 3: User, Hacker, Developer). I can understand it might take more than a single click on the Evo as our phones do so much more :)...how about somewhere between 2 and 10 clicks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones