• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo? android 2.1, 2.2 Kies

loadsaaaTOP

Jun 24, 2010
Guys,

Im new to all this and seeing all these above terms.

Can someone possibly explain these terms in simple talk!!

I believe that the term froyo is like windows on a pc?? like an operating system.

Whats the difference between what i have on my SGS now and what will this new thing bring to me, and how to i get it.

Thanks so much

Real simple:

Android v2.1 (Eclair) is what ships on the Galaxy S.

Android v2.2 (Froyo) is a more recent version that so far has (probably) only been made available on the Nexus One.

Samsung have 'promised' to bring an official Froyo update to the Galaxy S at some point, but haven't committed to a date. The general consensus / hope is that it'll be towards the end of the Summer (say September).

In the meantime there's a site called Samsung-Firmwares that has access to test versions of the software from inside Samsung. They have just made the first Froyo test version available and you can unofficially flash (put) it onto your phone, if you like, at your own risk. Things probably won't go horribly wrong but you would no doubt be voiding your warranty etc.

There are various fixes/enhancements in Froyo (Android (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) but the ones that are probably most interesting are general speed improves and support for Flash in the webbrowser (if you download the plugin).

Samsung will also presumably roll fixes specific to the Galaxy S into the updates (eg: hopefully something to fix the GPS problems that are common).

When Samsung are done with their 2.2 development / testing / etc they will make it officially available (I think it's going to be via Kies) and then you can update in relative safety.

Upvote 0
Guys,

Im new to all this and seeing all these above terms.

Can someone possibly explain these terms in simple talk!!

I believe that the term froyo is like windows on a pc?? like an operating system.

Whats the difference between what i have on my SGS now and what will this new thing bring to me, and how to i get it.

Thanks so much

Android is the OS the version you have now is 2.1 Eclaire. Froyo is version 2.2. Froyo adds full flash support, significant speed improvements, wifi tethering and many other smaller things. What people are talking about now is a pre-release update for the Samsung Galaxy S, like an early beta or alpha. It's probably best to wait until people report on how functional it is. The full official update will come in September.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones