• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo ap2sd card

Magicuk

Jul 16, 2010
Ok so i have rooted my phone and there is the official OTA update version of Froyo that is available to people that still want the root acsess like my self but the problem i have is that i cant seem to get the apps 2 sd card working dose anyone know how i can get this working? This is the Software i am using on my phone [ROM] Rooted Official HTC Android 2.2 (FroYo) ROM [Market issue fixed] - xda-developers

Thanks for taking the time to read this

ok i think i could help here as just did it myself (however credit goes to all other people who helped me):
to Crist and guys at XDA for this (this one with official Froyo and no root needed):
how to save apps on SD CARD:

if u can complete the following steps u can then save most of your apps to the sd card .
i am able to now move most of my apps to the sd card .
its easy

I just spent an hour figuring this out.
-Go here
--http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
and get the SDK for your OS
-Once you download it, unzip it to its own folder, I put it off C:\
-Run the SDK Setup.exe
-Click available Packages, on left, install all the packages for froyo 2.2. Although I do suspect that we only need the USB driver, which is at the very bottom.
It will take forever to install.
After it's done installing, I Clicked on Installed Packages, and update all.

Not done yet.
check that the phone is set up to allow debugging via USB (Settings⇒Applications⇒Devel­opment⇒USB debugging)
Plug in your phone
Windows will fail to install the driver.
Go in device manager and and update the newly Yellowed entry, the driver is in:
C:\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-windows\u­sb_driver or your original downloaded location
The driver should install

then open command prompt in windows .(type cmd in run line or click start and look for run )
and type
cd C:\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-windows\t­ools or where ever your original sdk is unzipped .

and then type

> adb devices

if you see a serial number starting with an "H" that means you got things working, now do the following:

> adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

This command will push ALL apps to your sd card .
you will see that the button for move to sd card will now not be grayed out and u will be able to move apps now to sd card .

to reverse the above type

> adb shell pm setInstallLocation 0

just did everything myself and it really does work (how incredible is that). had 7mb left of free space and now after moving some games and apps to sd card i have nearly 50mb (yuhhooo). however not all apps like being on sd (handscent sms) so moved it back to internal memory :) so check apps as you move them to sd card if they work properly,ok?
and when you do enter adb commands please just copy them from here and paste otherwise can make spelling mistake and won't work. moreover when you enter command enabling apps2sd button to be active the command wont give any confirmation or error so just check your phone if it's working.
another tip if you;re tired of entering commands just copy cmd.exe from original windows system folder and paste it to your sdk folder and into tools folder and run it from there so will save yourself a bit of typing and nerves :)
good luck
and thanx HTC for Froyo

Reactions: jekera
Upvote 0
uhh another thing sdk might be misbehaving and giving errors while installing just copy the error url address and paste into google search and it will give you and answer something to do with either choosing forcing something (cant remember where and what i pressed) or changing from https to http
just search for it as sorry i closed that window and it's a bit late so need to crash to bed hehe :)

Upvote 0
but did you loose root? or you still have it?
it maybe that the drivers are not recognised correctly and did you tick debugging mode? and only then plug in the phone to your pc and don't select any of the options on the phone (charhing,pc, etc...)

i still have the root options and i did not click nothing when i put the cable in and ye i have got it set to debugging just dont seem to want to take any of my commands . i dont all that u have said so far i get to the commands and type what u have said to type and nothing happens :S

Upvote 0
any one else have any ideas as i got froyo 2.2 but cant move any of the apps to sd card :( it dose not even give me a option to do so i dont want to go back to stock is there a video out of how to do this HELPPPPPPPPPP please ??? btw i just put the rom on to sd card and the new radio do i have to wipe the card to get ap2sd card working or is there a software u have to put on to get it working

Upvote 0
ok i think i could help here as just did it myself (however credit goes to all other people who helped me):
to Crist and guys at XDA for this (this one with official Froyo and no root needed):
how to save apps on SD CARD:

if u can complete the following steps u can then save most of your apps to the sd card .
i am able to now move most of my apps to the sd card .
its easy

I just spent an hour figuring this out.
-Go here
--http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
and get the SDK for your OS
-Once you download it, unzip it to its own folder, I put it off C:\
-Run the SDK Setup.exe
-Click available Packages, on left, install all the packages for froyo 2.2. Although I do suspect that we only need the USB driver, which is at the very bottom.
It will take forever to install.
After it's done installing, I Clicked on Installed Packages, and update all.

Not done yet.
check that the phone is set up to allow debugging via USB (Settings⇒Applications⇒Devel­opment⇒USB debugging)
Plug in your phone
Windows will fail to install the driver.
Go in device manager and and update the newly Yellowed entry, the driver is in:
C:\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-windows\u­sb_driver or your original downloaded location
The driver should install

then open command prompt in windows .(type cmd in run line or click start and look for run )
and type
cd C:\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-windows\t­ools or where ever your original sdk is unzipped .

and then type

> adb devices

if you see a serial number starting with an "H" that means you got things working, now do the following:

> adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

This command will push ALL apps to your sd card .
you will see that the button for move to sd card will now not be grayed out and u will be able to move apps now to sd card .

to reverse the above type

> adb shell pm setInstallLocation 0

just did everything myself and it really does work (how incredible is that). had 7mb left of free space and now after moving some games and apps to sd card i have nearly 50mb (yuhhooo). however not all apps like being on sd (handscent sms) so moved it back to internal memory :) so check apps as you move them to sd card if they work properly,ok?
and when you do enter adb commands please just copy them from here and paste otherwise can make spelling mistake and won't work. moreover when you enter command enabling apps2sd button to be active the command wont give any confirmation or error so just check your phone if it's working.
another tip if you;re tired of entering commands just copy cmd.exe from original windows system folder and paste it to your sdk folder and into tools folder and run it from there so will save yourself a bit of typing and nerves :)
good luck
and thanx HTC for Froyo

I tried this at the weekend. Worked with most of my apps, some are not able to be moved to the SD card, but most are. I had trouble loading the drivers at first,had to remove the HTC Sync drivers first. Then no trouble.
Thanks to all who worked this out.
:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones