• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo battery drain Samsung Galaxy S

I recently acquired my SGS and it came with Froyo 2.2 and JP3/JP4

I leave auto-rotate on all the time, but only turn WiFi, Bluetooth or GPS on when needed. I don't run Exchange, only Webmail. Other than that, stock standard (Australian) SGS

I have never run flat in one day, I reckon I would get 13 - 15 hours.

Suggestion: perhaps these problems are limited to those who upgrade to Froyo?

Upvote 0
I also have recently updated my Galaxy S to froyo and am facing the same terrible problem of battery drain. It hardly lasts for 12 hrs with minimum syncing and usage. It is becoming a bit irritating.

I read in some forums that a factory reset might be able to resolve this issue of poor battery life after froyo update. Since the official froyo update from Samsung luckily didnt reset the phone and delete the data, I guess I have to do it manually to test this suggestion. Hope after factory reset the battery life improves. Has anyone tried doing factory reset after updating their phone to froyo?? Please share your experiences.

Upvote 0
Bought my unit early Dec 2010, installed Kies on the PC & connected it fine, sometime later in Dec Kies offered the firmware update which it did fine - it's currently: Galaxy S GT-I9000 running Android 2.2 Froyo.DTJP5. Not Rooted, No Lagfixes.
I did do a factory reset fine after that update too.

I haven't noticed significantly worse battery drain after updating to Froyo, but it does appear to drain a little faster than I'd expect sometimes.

Mainly putting it down to general low battery life for many smartphones.

Upvote 0
@PONR
How did you update ur firmware to 2.2.1? Is it the official update from KIES or is it a custom rom? I have 2.2 firmware of version DDJP6. Please let me know how to update to 2.2.1. I need to fix this battery drain issue.

Well, have you flashed your SGS before? It cannot be downloaded through KIES as of yet. Please bear in mind flashing can brick your phone, if flashed incorrectly.

First have you disabled some of the features to help improve the batterry, such as turn of 3g,wifi,bluetooth, brightness lowered, background data if you dont have apps that require it.

If you have an email account/s set up how often do you fetch mail?

If the problem still exists then you may want to flash your phone using Odin.

This website is a good starting of point.

[ROM] Firmware: XXJPU (FROYO 2.2.1!) - xda-developers

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for the link and the information. I noticed that when 3G is switched on, the battery drain is drastic and fast. I tried switching it off and enable only EDGE and checking my battery life. Apparently, the battery charge is 88% after 6 hours. Tremendous change. My previous observation of battery lasting for hardly 10 hrs with no much usage was with 3G turned on. I sync around 2 mail accounts and also twitter and facebook. I hope that this is not that battery intensive. And I dont browse or do anything else also.

I have heard that Iphone 3g gives bettery battery back up on 3g. Samsung galaxy S and Froyo cannot be that bad that with 3g it lasts hardly 10 hrs with almost no usage apart from syncing. Don't you all think so?

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for the link and the information. I noticed that when 3G is switched on, the battery drain is drastic and fast. I tried switching it off and enable only EDGE and checking my battery life. Apparently, the battery charge is 88% after 6 hours. Tremendous change. My previous observation of battery lasting for hardly 10 hrs with no much usage was with 3G turned on. I sync around 2 mail accounts and also twitter and facebook. I hope that this is not that battery intensive. And I dont browse or do anything else also.

I have heard that Iphone 3g gives bettery battery back up on 3g. Samsung galaxy S and Froyo cannot be that bad that with 3g it lasts hardly 10 hrs with almost no usage apart from syncing. Don't you all think so?

Hi, glad it was useful mate. Can i ask what network you are on? This has alot to do with the performance with the battery. For example o2 in the UK has one of the worst 3g signals. If your phone is 3g enabled but struggles to find 3g signal, it will impact the battery.

The reason being becuase it keeps on searching for a 3g signal, however i have tested my phone with another network 3 UK. 3 is one of the biggest 3g networks in UK. The SGS performs much better on this network as it does not need to struggle for a 3g connection. Therefore keeping it on 3g enabled will not impact the battery as much.

The same applies for iphone 3g.

Upvote 0
Hey all I too had the crap battery life issue with my Galaxy S after updating to Froyo. However the problem seems to be gone now. I did two things that might of changed something not sure which it was.

One was I had my phone plugged in and turned on all night. When I woke in the morning the phone was had shut itself off and would not turn on with the power button. I had to remove the battery and reinstall it before it would turn on.

The other thing that I did was turn off the 'back up data' and 'automatic restore' options under privacy settings.

I could literally watch my battery drain when using the phone before and now since doing the above my phone is still just a tiny bit off fully charged. It's now 2:30 in the afternoon and I turned it on at about 7:30am. Have been using it quite a bit as well for email and surfing.

I'm just glad the problem seems to be gone. Let me know if it helps.

K

Upvote 0
Thanks for the various pointers in this thread - I'll try a few of those things, even though my SGS Battery drain doesn't seem THAT bad usually.

ON another SGS battery-related note: On a recent highway trip whilst it was mounted in a cradle stuck to the inside of the Windscreen (& thus often in the sunlight on the hot day it was) & plugged into a USB Car Charger Adaptor via the USB cable that came with the SGS (to charge it) the unit reported a "Battery High Temp - Pausing Charging" error several times.

I tried it intermittently as well, but the error re-appeared quicker than I expected.

Anyone else experienced this or have any advice?
I'm thinking the fact that it was often in the sunlight over the dash is a factor - physically artificially heating it up even more.

I have actually moved the cradle down to the instrument screen cover so the unit is lower and less exposed top the sunlight through the windscreen, will examine it more in the position and see how it goes.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the various pointers in this thread - I'll try a few of those things, even though my SGS Battery drain doesn't seem THAT bad usually.

ON another SGS battery-related note: On a recent highway trip whilst it was mounted in a cradle stuck to the inside of the Windscreen (& thus often in the sunlight on the hot day it was) & plugged into a USB Car Charger Adaptor via the USB cable that came with the SGS (to charge it) the unit reported a "Battery High Temp - Pausing Charging" error several times.

I tried it intermittently as well, but the error re-appeared quicker than I expected.

Anyone else experienced this or have any advice?
I'm thinking the fact that it was often in the sunlight over the dash is a factor - physically artificially heating it up even more.

I have actually moved the cradle down to the instrument screen cover so the unit is lower and less exposed top the sunlight through the windscreen, will examine it more in the position and see how it goes.
Yes, this makes perfect sense.... Basically when you either use the phone or charge it the battery will accumulate heat.

Now take this a step further so when you are both using it and charging the heat will intensify.
Finally, couple these two issues with an outside build up of heat from the sun and you are compiling a recipe for battery disaster.
What you are seeing is actually good. The SGS is noting the core battery temp and is trying to stop anything attempting to increase it's temp.

Upvote 0
For a couple of days a ago I upgraded from 2.2 to 2.2.1, and what a difference!

It is a completely different phone now, and I will from now on not hesitate recommending the SGS to other people :)

The email-app is no longer putting a big load on the cpu and in effect the battery lasts longer. But even better, the lagging is gone and everything runs much smoother.

I now have my exchange-accounts configured to sync changes through a push-strategy without any major drain on the battery.

Just to give an idea of the email-improvement:

- I have 2 exchange-accounts where both are configured with push-strategy.
- Wifi is always on (sleep policy: never)

Over one night the battery only lost about 10% with this configuration.

I managed to upgrade through Kies and with help from Kies Registry Patch. The rom version is I9000XXJPY. This rom is targeted the UK-market.

Upvote 0
lucky for you, i have flashed the version you are currently using but i encountered a lot of problems. although i have 2.2.1 it is XXJPX version for european market. i agree with the improvements much more with GPS.

Firmware info

Version

PDA: I9000XXJPX
PHONE: I9000XXJPX
CSC: I9000OXAJPX
Build Info: 2010.12

Upvote 0
Hi, glad it was useful mate. Can i ask what network you are on? This has alot to do with the performance with the battery. For example o2 in the UK has one of the worst 3g signals. If your phone is 3g enabled but struggles to find 3g signal, it will impact the battery.

The reason being becuase it keeps on searching for a 3g signal, however i have tested my phone with another network 3 UK. 3 is one of the biggest 3g networks in UK. The SGS performs much better on this network as it does not need to struggle for a 3g connection. Therefore keeping it on 3g enabled will not impact the battery as much.

The same applies for iphone 3g.
Thanks PONR for the explanation. I stay in India and have BSNL 3G network which has pretty good coverage across the places I normally travel and the signal strength it shows is also very good (what SGS shows). Hence i was of the opinion that the signal strength should not be the issue for this battery drain. Can you please let me know what is the battery backup you get on a good 3g network with SGS?

Upvote 0
Another information I would like to bring up here is the comparison between Nexus S and Galaxy S. My friend has bought Nexus S and we had a hands on with that device for some time. One thing is for sure. The response time for the touch is way better than the Galaxy S. It is amazingly fast and I could easily notice it when compared to my Galaxy S. Spec wise there is no difference between these phones. Does the difference of Stock android 2.3 on Nexus S compared to customized tiouch wiz UI android 2.2 of Samsung make so much of a difference in speed?

I think this post is not related to the thread being discussed but I just thought of bringing it out. If we can have a discussion, then I will go and create a different thread for this question. Please put in ur comments.

Upvote 0
I got this from another thread but though I would share as it has helped me out with the battery draining issue.
The short of it is that the 3G signals don't stay locked and the phone keeps hunting. If you go under the battery life settings and click on "Cell Standby" there's a field for "Time Without Service". Mine and many others were hover around 50%. This is constantly draining battery even while you do nothing.

So the temporary quick fix is to turn on Airplane mode, then turn it right back off. This fixes some incorrect setting. On my phone, Time Without Service dropped from 52% last night to 0% today. And my battery only dropped about 9-10% idling over night. This is MUCH better than the 30% draining overnight I was seeing over the past few days.

So if your battery life is really bad, try this trick. This also explains why some people are getting better battery life using 4G than 3G.

Hope this helps people.

Upvote 0
I got this from another thread but though I would share as it has helped me out with the battery draining issue.
The short of it is that the 3G signals don't stay locked and the phone keeps hunting. If you go under the battery life settings and click on "Cell Standby" there's a field for "Time Without Service". Mine and many others were hover around 50%. This is constantly draining battery even while you do nothing.

So the temporary quick fix is to turn on Airplane mode, then turn it right back off. This fixes some incorrect setting. On my phone, Time Without Service dropped from 52% last night to 0% today. And my battery only dropped about 9-10% idling over night. This is MUCH better than the 30% draining overnight I was seeing over the past few days.

So if your battery life is really bad, try this trick. This also explains why some people are getting better battery life using 4G than 3G.

Hope this helps people.
Thanks for the suggestion Itc1211. I will try it out and let everyone know the results. I am not so sure why this bug is present in the first place. I would like to know if there are others who own other android phones apart from Galaxy S and face the same issue? Guys, please put in your comments if you have android phones apart from Galaxy S and let us know the battery life you are able to get and also the Standby battery consumption.

I am suspecting that this is a bug only with the Froyo update for Galaxy S and also Samsung specific. I dont have much data to back this though. But would like to see others inputs on this. I request people with Galaxy S and eclair (android 2.1) also to conduct 3G tests and report the battery life including the Standby mode battery consumption.

Upvote 0
It has helped my battery so far... Im still on 41% and its been 1day 13hours.....When I got the phone the first time I charged it I had to recharge that night because it went flat..Then the second time I charged got 1day15 hours and it was showing 100% then went dead...So the battery monitor was not working...Then the 3rd time I got 1day16hours with 10% left and now after doing this tip I am getting longer again.... I am going to have to recharge tonight as Im going out tomorrow but it would probably last untill tomorrow night if i left it.. at the moment im using 30% battery a day.... I think tht is so good as i use to own a nokia and was charging every night..

Upvote 0
I was having the same battery drain trouble. I did factory reset but the draining had persisted.

Then I installed a Power Tutor and it showed me that Buddies Now was running and was permanently sucking over 20% of CPU sources. This was an error evidently. So I erased all Buddies Now`s data and forced it to stop (visit Settings > Application > Manage Application > All > Buddies Now).

It has helped me. Try it and let me know.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,
I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S I9000 and I like it very much, except for the battery life. I have heard that this is normal on a new phone, and that battery life should get better after the first week of use. I am wondering if this is true or not?

Also I wanted to ask what kind of battery life should I expect if I have GPS, WIFI off but 3G always on. I find it dumb to have to switch 3G on when I want to do something, since I like being online on GoogleTalk, Whatsapp, etc.
The thing is I still have 1 week until I can give the cellphone back, so I need to make the decision if I keep it or not pretty soon.

Right now I probably get 5-7 with somewhat use, but would really only be interested in keeping the phone if I can get 15 hours min while ALWAYS being online on GoogleTalk, etc.

edit: I am using Froyo stock from Samsung.
Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
Just for what it's worth, I've been having the batt drain problem in my HTC magic after updating to 2.2.1 (downloaded from google, couldn't wait for the OTA :) ).
For several days the battery would last forever but since I had to horrible weeks of being unable to keep the phone on the whole night (unplugged that is) in airplane mode or just G network.

After much reading one of the things I have pretty much clear is that it is a kernel problem, probably related to USB, since it seems to happen when charging via USB (which I suppose means when using the provided cable that allows you to share files with the pc and not a regular cable).
Another thing I have clear is it doesn't affect one phone or another but all of them.

This morning, after finding the phone dead again :(, I let it charge to full with the wall charger, then turned it on, let it load, wait a while with the green light, turned it off and booted into recovery mode.
It seemed doing a battery wipe would help some people, but in stock ROM there's not such option, so I just cleaned the cache partition, which I suppose is kind of the swap partition and thought it wouldn't harm and possibly help since it seems installing 2.2.1 after a factory reset or a clean system doesn't have the draining problem.

Well, in the end, after booting the system again, the phone's been on since around 12 midday until now, 9pm and still at 100% (even made one or two calls and looked something up on google) o_O (yippiee!).

HOPE IT LASTS :)

Upvote 0
I hope your phone is not doind what mine did... After mine fully dicharged I charged it back up and for 2 days it was stating 100% until it died 1d15hours later.... I hope that is not happening as it is so anoying having battery picture saying 100% and also battery status saying 100% when its not.... I thing i find anoying is the meter does not start to go down until it is around 78%..Is this normal.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with a Galaxy Spica GT-i5700

It seems is not able to find the right 100% or 0%

I have a rooted phone and I tried all kind of wipes (battery, cache, etc...)

Yesterday completely charged with wall charger and phone off.
Start phone at 8.00pm yesterday. Wi-fi off, bluetooth off. No facebook or gmail or other application/widget running.
Thi morning at 8.00am (12 hours in complete stand-by) the battery use says 50% cell standby and 50% Phone Idle.
Also going through *#*#4636#*#* no applications seems was working during the night but my battery drain down to 70%

Moreover, when I reach 35/40% of residual battery, it start to drain very fast.

The same problems also with a new battery.

Please help me if you can. Thanks

Upvote 0
One question, did you leave it in airplane mode during the night?
I ask because it seems it still tries to find a cell when in that mode. In my case I've found the batt would only drop a 1 or 2 percent in G mode while yesterday it dropped some good 30 something in airplane.
There's a trick some report to fix the problem until you reboot (it worked once for me) that is to switch to airplane mode on and then right off.
Now my phone seems to be doing pretty well after turning it off and letting charge with wall charger.
Ah, I read somewhere that to fix the wrong batt measurment you have to take out the battery, plug the charger and place the battery back in.
Answering the previous post, my phone didn't stay at 100% and then drop dramatically, but it did go down progressively as expected.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones