• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo browser v. Dolphin HD?

NeoteriX

Android Expert
May 13, 2010
Ever since I got the Evo, I've been using Dolphin Browser HD -- the combination of tabbed browsing and great features make it an overall improvement over the HTC/Eclair browser.

Now that people are switching up to 2.2, are people switching back to stock for the much acclaimed speed improvements? Have people noticed significant differences between the new Froyo browser and Dolphin HD?

I switched back to the standard browser before 2.2 came out. Dolphin didn't handle zooming in on a page as well. I had to fuss with the page too much to get the text into one column. The standard browser just seems to do it right all the time. I found I didn't open multiple pages that often so the tabs weren't that big of an advantage.

The biggest annoyance in using Dolphin is that if you set it to be the default browser, it takes over. I would be in the stock browser and click a link and it would open Dolphin. It shouldn't do that.

Dolphin did load pages faster but it's like driving 85 vs 75. 75 is fast enough. I still have Dolphin installed and I'll continue to use it from time to time.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I loved dolphin but consistently found myself accidentally opening the bookmarks things too much. Due to sliding around screen. Got* annoying

You can turn that easily that off by going to Menu, More, Settings and turning off "Enable swipe action". While you're in there, Gesture settings, Gesture button and "Hide" will get rid of that gesture button on the bottom left. With both of those things off, nothing should interrupt your browsing.

Is there a Dolphin HD bookmark widget like there is a Sense Bookmark widget?

Yes, get it here. It's crappy though because it doesn't have scrolling. You're better off using the Sense widget and setting your bookmarks up in the stock browser, and then just setting the bookmarks to open in Dolphin by making Dolphin the default browser. To to that, go to Dolphin and go to Menu, More, Settings, "Set as default browser".

Upvote 0
As an update, I now have Froyo and have quickly run the Sunspider test in Dolphin and the stock Froyo browser ( SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark )

In a nutshell, it looks like Dolphin is benefiting from the Froyo enhancements, although to a slightly lesser extent than the stock browser. In just one test (so I haven't repeated it for consistency), I found that:

-- In Dolphin with Froyo, the Sunspider test ran 2.09x as fast as one test on Dolphin on 2.1

-- In the stock browser with Froyo, the Sunspider test ran 2.43x as fast as the same Dolphin test on 2.1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones