• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo Coming Aug 6th? Discuss

The D2 is basically the same phone as the X minus the big screen plus a keyboard. That basically puts them at a wash. So they have to let the D2 have something over the X simply to move units.

This is the one reason why I don't see the X getting the 2.2 before the Droid 2 comes out. Gotta have a major selling point, but I do see it coming out relatively quick afterward.

Upvote 0
Have you even read the threads about how removing bloatware FUBAR's the update process?

I've read a LOT of posts in the everything root section, (including apps safe to remove and bloatware) and this is the first I've heard of it. I did find this post.

You act like there's a big neon sign announcing the problem and everyone should already know this. An hand-full of posts in a forum this size, do not make anything obvious.

At this point it's probably just speculation, but to be safe, I suspect my previous post isn't such a good idea.

FWIW, all I did was rename City ID, easily reversed.

Upvote 0
The D2 is basically the same phone as the X minus the big screen plus a keyboard. That basically puts them at a wash. So they have to let the D2 have something over the X simply to move units.

The screen size and keyboard availability, IMO, will be deal breakers for people who know exactly what they want. People who value a keyboard over a bigger screen will wait for the d2. In the other hand, those like myself who wanted a bigger screen first and foremost will get the X. Whether the d2 was getting 2.2 first or not had little bearing on the matter since it was known well in advance the X was getting 2.2 anyway. So to me, putting off Froyo on the X in favor of the d2 isn't accomplishing anything.

Upvote 0

The only problem with this is do they keep pushing back the date for Froyo on the X until they hit a set number of sales of the D2.Keep dragging it out until people give up and just get the D2 to get it.Wouldn't it be to their advantage to release it as soon as possible to get a jump on the Sprint phones and the Galaxy S line from T Mobil and AT&T.I just don't see the D2 as being a big enough reason to delay it if is ready to be sent out.

Upvote 0
Really, it will ship when it does.Late summer is when they committed to. Unless you hear it from Verizon Wireless, I would not listen to anyone else. You'll just be disappointed if the release date slips if a bug is found.

remember id software's famous tag line for game releases? It'll be done when it's done :)

That wasn't ID software. that was the maker of Duke Nukem. and Duke Nukem Forever is vaporware because of that motto. hehe.

Upvote 0
i dont think anyone who actually cared about getting a new droid would buy a droid 2 purely because the droid 2 will supposedly get 2.2 first. the droid 2 is just a nod at the barbarians who still enjoy outdated tech such as physical keyboards and the smaller size will just be a bonus.

for the rest of us who enjoy current technology, we've either already bought the droid x or are planning to as soon as it stops being sold out everywhere. why would any of us buy that old ass phone just because its going to get a software update that people in this thread are arguing that we are getting later anyway??

Upvote 0

I think the general public will most likely either pick a DROID with a keyboard and a smaller screen or DROID with no keyboard and a bigger screen. I find it hard to believe that the differences between 2.1 and 2.2 would even register with the masses. That's just me.

Upvote 0
I see Gingerbread coming January at the earliest, i am glad that android has all these updates almost twice a year, unlike iOS that happens once a year...it is kinda cool, i'll take what i can get though, i have no intention of rooting, i just want a cool phone and i really support the android cause, although i still like my ipod touch :p

Upvote 0
Is this really an update or is it a complete reflash?

Now where is that threads on how to reinstall system apps?
Who's idea was it to root and remove bloat ware anyways:D

PROBABLY a complete reflash BUT when the most recent update was pushed it would check to make sure that all the systems apps were in place before it did anything. Seriously why take the chance. If you're that worried about the bloatware buy the premium version of Titanium Backup and freeze them and before you do the next update just thaw them...

Upvote 0
PROBABLY a complete reflash BUT when the most recent update was pushed it would check to make sure that all the systems apps were in place before it did anything. Seriously why take the chance. If you're that worried about the bloatware buy the premium version of Titanium Backup and freeze them and before you do the next update just thaw them...
well i already removed two apps that I thought i backed up with my paid version of TB. Im not worried don't know where you got that idea. I just want to put back the two im missing just in case.

Upvote 0
http://www.chadhaney.com/droidXDefault/

here are all the APK's that need to be in the /system/app folder. Click on the name to download them then put them on your SD card and copy and pase the files into the /system/apps folder and set the permissions (The permissions should be rw-r-r). If you want me to find all the threads showing the problems with removing bloatware and updating on the X I will. Also, If you remove certain programs and try and do a factory reset it will throw your phone into an endless boot loop.

Upvote 0
well i already removed two apps that I thought i backed up with my paid version of TB. Im not worried don't know where you got that idea. I just want to put back the two im missing just in case.

Read this thread...

.604 update.zip download

It's full of people who couldn't update until they put the bloatware back and set the permissions. And I can personally confirm that the phone checks the system apps before an update is applied. I'll try and find a screen shot from when the phone is in recovery installing the update. I know I saw one somewhere...

Thought this might be helpful for you as well...

http://androidforums.com/all-things...w-reinstall-system-apps-_as_-system-apps.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones