• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Froyo Development

All attempts I tried had same result. Init is broken. Also, prelinked map is diff from aosp as lg doent use aosp they use code aurora sources. Code Aurora Eclair coffee branch was used by LG for eclair.

Hmm, okay I'm trying to build from Code Aurora now. I tried the almond branch, but I'm having trouble getting the Wifi module to build. Do you use gtalk? Would you be willing to help me get it built properly?

PM me your gtalk name and we can try to get this going.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The one I posted here was using CWM's kernel. I did not expect that to work at all, I just wanted to get some advice from other people who knew more.

The one I sent over IRC before was a pretty bare AOSP build. That's the one that hung on the "ANDROID_" screen.

I've since given up with those two builds and am now trying to work with code aurora, but will need some help. If you know a thing or two about building and want to help me out, send me a PM with your gtalk username. I'd like to get another build going tonight if possible, but I'm pretty stuck in getting it to either skip the wifi module completely or actually build it properly.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The problem I encountered building the wifi driver was bypassed by removing these lines from the "BoardConfig.mk" file:

Code:
# Wifi related definesBOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_DRIVER := WEXT
WPA_SUPPLICANT_VERSION      := VER_0_6_X
BOARD_WLAN_DEVICE           := bcm4325
WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_PATH     := "/system/lib/modules/wireless.ko"
WIFI_DRIVER_FW_STA_PATH     := "/system/etc/wl/rtecdc.bin"
WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_ARG      := "firmware_path=/system/etc/wl/rtecdc.bin nvram_path=/system/etc/wl/nvram.txt"
WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_NAME     := "wireless"
From what I can tell, removing these is most likely not building the wifi drivers, but I'd be willing to go without wifi for a bit. Unfortunately, I ran out of hard drive space while building late last night. I'm going to try again tonight, but if anyone has any advice, please contact me asap! I'd really like to get this working.

Upvote 0
The problem I encountered building the wifi driver was bypassed by removing these lines from the "BoardConfig.mk" file:

Code:
# Wifi related definesBOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_DRIVER := WEXT
WPA_SUPPLICANT_VERSION      := VER_0_6_X
BOARD_WLAN_DEVICE           := bcm4325
WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_PATH     := "/system/lib/modules/wireless.ko"
WIFI_DRIVER_FW_STA_PATH     := "/system/etc/wl/rtecdc.bin"
WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_ARG      := "firmware_path=/system/etc/wl/rtecdc.bin nvram_path=/system/etc/wl/nvram.txt"
WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_NAME     := "wireless"
From what I can tell, removing these is most likely not building the wifi drivers, but I'd be willing to go without wifi for a bit. Unfortunately, I ran out of hard drive space while building late last night. I'm going to try again tonight, but if anyone has any advice, please contact me asap! I'd really like to get this working.
excuse me if i sound a bit noobish here but going on my knowledge of linux and windows makes me think. i can run android apks on linux. so maybe you can port a linux driver to the android or the existing one from the current 2.1 and name it the after the froyo name scheme. anyway i see the word nvram in there... i think thats for a nvidia device... or broadcom (bcm)... maybe even realtec(rtecdc.bin)... idk... anyway i never use my wifi cuz 3g makes it pointless (and my email dose not sync + kills my battery)
bty what are you building it on... maybe ill dl it and start tinkering around.(i know c++ and html and can guess at other languages well)+ i got like 2 2tb hds lol

Upvote 0
I'm not too sure I follow what you're implying about running apks on linux. The most prominent issue is getting the kernel to work. As someone mentioned earlier, init is not functioning. I am building from codeaurora.org at the moment.

As for copying the Wifi module, from what I can tell, some of the building variables and commands have changed for Froyo, and that is why it won't build. I will post the exact error when I get home and try it again.

But I am building it on my laptop under Ubuntu 10.10. It takes a bit to get all the proper packages setup and the build environment working, but I could use your help if you PM me your gtalk name. We might be able to discuss things and get something going.

Upvote 0
Except the new module needs to be built from scratch. This is the key issue that comes from not having a Froyo build from LG to start. Most custom builds from source are not ports unless there exists a similar hardware device with that code. For example, if one HTC device got the update before the other and the specs are similar, a port would likely be considerably easy. But when there exists no similar devices, its a lot more difficult because nothing can be copied.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones