1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Froyo Firmware upgrade on Mac...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ingaman, Feb 8, 2011.

1. ingaman

ingaman Lurker

This has probably been tackled somewhere else on the forum, but I can't seem to find a way to upgrade to the new firmware on my Mac. I'm at my wits end.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. goodm0urning

goodm0urning Member

what are you asking? this makes no sense

3. LMaxwell

LMaxwell Member

It makes perfect sense if the Rogers update isn't OTA.

Ingaman, I'm not sure what your options are. Can you use a virtual XP machine for the update? Or you may need to find a friend with a PC.

Frisco likes this.
  4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Yes, it does make perfect sense. And using another PC or laptop on Windows would be the way to go with that issue for now. I've been unable to find a Mac guide for doing the upgrade.

5. ingaman

ingaman Lurker

Hmmmm... This seems more difficult than it should be. I don't have a PC running an os later than Windows 98. Also I have no interest in unloading my wallet on any of the newer Microsoft OS's that I wouldn't use for anything else but upgrading my firmware. I guess I'll have to reluctantly call one of my friends who uses a pc.

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Sorry you're in that situation, ingaman. I've been hoping that I could find a true guide for that, or even a post somewhere at XDA or other site; I've been searching off and on since I saw your post early this morning (I'm not used to not finding a thing at all on a subject like this one).

I was also thinking that by now another Captivate user with a Mac would chime in with their method, but it looks like most of them have received the OTA or used Windows computers to load the update.

7. NickDblU

NickDblU Newbie

Yer pretty much SOL with trying to do a firmware upgrade using OSX...

I tried to initially do the update using a Windows VM within OSX, but that didn't work... I eventually had to pull out my wifes old Toshiba laptop that's been collecting dust for 2 years and had to do the update that way.

8. sremick

sremick Android Expert

It sucks that a MacOS user has to resort to that and better options aren't available, but when it comes down to it it's a matter of cutting your losses. You can only work with whatever tools are available, and in the long-run it's less time and effort to borrow someone's Windows PC for a few minutes than it is to try and make things work on a Mac.

It shouldn't be that way, though. I agree.

9. ingaman

ingaman Lurker

Well I managed to find a friend who will let me borrow his PC for a couple hours. I hope Google does make their future firmware updates cross-platform in the near future. It's kind of ironic that Apple makes iTunes and their firmware updates cross-platform, but Google doesn't?
    Anyway, thanks for understanding my predicament and thanks for the advice -- it has been useful.

10. NickDblU

NickDblU Newbie

The firmware update has nothing to do with Google and everything to do with Samsung creating Kies and not making it a cross platform application.

11. MonteMuscle70

MonteMuscle70 Newbie

That does suck. Though, I'm not surprised considering its for a phone running an open source platform, and a computer running a proprietary platform, and they're competitors. Mac's never been well supported for any software. Poor bastards.

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews