• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FroYo gets official

As much as I'd love that, I think that's pretty doubtful. But that would be awesome.

Once we get some stable 2.2 roms out and about I will probably root and try that route.

Come on SF - have a little faith. Not saying to be optimistic, but don't lose hope on this one.

I'm thinking early July because momentum has shifted and I don't think HTC would mind moving Sense to the side a little. Sense wasn't really built because of Android, it was built because of WinMo and was just easier to modify for Android and give HTC phones their identity across platforms.

I think it's hurting HTC to spend so much time on Sense rather than manufacturing so they'll shift away from it as soon as Google makes it easier for them (Froyo then Gingerbread).:D

Upvote 0
I cant wait for that performance hit. The Evo is fast as-is but all of the back to back on the Nexus means that its gonna set my pocket on fire.

Well, the speed AND the cloud to device options are the two things that get me excited. Being able to do something on my computer and then just send it to my phone (like the gmaps example they showed at I/O).

Upvote 0
Come on SF - have a little faith. Not saying to be optimistic, but don't lose hope on this one.

I'm thinking early July because momentum has shifted and I don't think HTC would mind moving Sense to the side a little. Sense wasn't really built because of Android, it was built because of WinMo and was just easier to modify for Android and give HTC phones their identity across platforms.

I think it's hurting HTC to spend so much time on Sense rather than manufacturing so they'll shift away from it as soon as Google makes it easier for them (Froyo then Gingerbread).:D
I would like to agree with you on some parts, but as a amateur phone freak, I have other needs. I love for my phone to perform its best, thats no question. On the other hand i want that pizazz, I want my phone to stand out from the others. Thats why I LOVE the way the Sense UI is built and looks with its weather widget animations (Which stands out ALOT). As good as they look on they Evo, imagine WHAT THE UPDATE MIGHT BRING! I say, let HTC take their time, I am more than satisfied with 2.1 for right now. I can wait out a month or maybe two. WE DONT NEED A QUICK FIX. Anyone else with me on this.

Upvote 0
I like Sense. The poster who said it was made for Windows Mobile is wrong. Besides that being Touch Flo, Sense adds a lot to the Android experience. This is why I've only soft (unrevoked) rooted, too. I don't want to get rid of Sense.

Sense is ok, and I'm not knocking it. I just think it's an overlay that does get in the way of Android updates. It does make Android more user-friendly in it's current and previous releases, but it will become less and less "needed" as Android develops in sophistication.

Also, I said Sense was developed "because" of WinMo, not "for" WinMo. The difference being that HTC realized while going through several iterations of TouchFlo but having other non TF phones on the market that they needed a simplified UI that would establish it's brand ID across all platforms. That's exactly what Sense is and does.

In the end, I want to rely more on HTC for hardware and firmware and more on Google/Android for OS. I believe it will be faster and better. I also think Android/Sense will gravitate to having the ability to do independent updates giving HTC the ability to continue to develop Sense if it chooses. I just think HTC will pick a point soon where the return on Sense development won't be necessary as HTC & Sense will already be branded into our brains by then.

Just clarifying what I said though because because and for definitely change the interpretation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones