1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

froyo or honeycomb?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by cooldude1, May 23, 2011.

1. cooldude1

cooldude1 Newbie

so i am building a tablet pc for a school science fair and i have decided to use android as the os, but i am not sure wich one to use, froyo or honeycomb. i know honeycomb was specifically designed for tablets, but its to new and will have very few apps. but froyo can be used for tablets as well, but wasnt innitially designed for it, so there could be some problems.
    which one should i choose?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

3. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert

You mean backward compatible. Forward compatible imply that future apps written for Ice-cream sandwich etc. will also run on older android OS.

4. novox77

you have it backwards. read the link I posted. In particular, this part:

backward compatible means that something written on a new version is compatible with all previous (backward) versions, which is definitely not the case with Android. v2.3 will have new API additions that simply didn't exist back in 1.5. So how could it possibly be backward compatible....

5. vcarvega

vcarvega Newbie

Well if the differences between the original Galaxy Tab and Xoom are any indication, Honeycomb is much more desirable.

6. mrqs

mrqs Android Expert

no he doesn't, you do - the applications are forward compatible (meaning they'll work with future versions of android); android is backward compatible (meaning apps written for older versions will work with new versions)

@op: google hasn't released the honeycomb sources yet

snapper.fishes and novox77 like this.
  7. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

I don't believe they are either? Didn't they say during the Google I/O that they weren't going to; they were just gonna release the source for Ice Cream Sandwich instead?

8. novox77

Got it. the application is forward compatible, while the OS is backward compatible. Thanks for the clarification. fixing my first post.

9. Fetch Questman

Fetch Questman Well-Known Member

This thread gave me a headache

10. cooldude1

cooldude1 Newbie

i do appologize because im just starting to get into android but what is ice cream sandwich?

11. ZukoFan

ZukoFan Newbie

Ice Cream Sandwich is the next version of Android, which some say will be released this Fall/Winter.

It will be the one OS which is supposed to work on phones, tablets, and Google TV -- instead of now where Honeycomb is for tablets, Gingerbread and earlier is for phones, and Google TV has a somewhat custom build.

The source for Honeycomb is not out, and -- my personal opinion -- I don't think Google will release it until Ice Cream Sandwich comes out.

Sooo.... you're only choice right now is Gingerbread.

12. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert

If its for a school project, I would suggest sticking with froyo. I think its easier to work with thus making it easier to learn from. :)Not that I'm saying you can't make GB work its just a better way to get u started in tablet making. Maybe you can end up teaching the big manufacturers a thing or two.;)

13. cooldude1

cooldude1 Newbie

ah, ok.
    do you know if they are going to release the source for ice cream sandwich when it comes out?

14. mrqs

mrqs Android Expert

no one knows for sure, but they probably will, since the reason for not releasing honeycomb sources is to avoid stupid manufacturers from putting it on devices it's not meant for (phones, mainly), and that reason won't exist anymore for ice cream sandwich, since it'll combine the gingerbread & honeycomb (and possibly even google tv, tho' i doubt it) forks in to a single multi-platform revision

well, that's the word around anyway

15. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Android Expert

Your best of starting with Gingerbread, you'll probably be able to use the same kernel sources too for ICS

Good luck! :)

16. cooldude1

cooldude1 Newbie

ok, so Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread) or Android 3.1 (Honeycomb)?
    because im getting different answers from everyone.

17. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Android Expert

2.3.4 is your only option due to the fact 3.x ain't in AOSP

EDIT: since its a tablet use CM7 as it has some tablet features
    Check out codeaurora for kernel help