• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo really ruined Android for me

You are probably 1 out of 100 with this view about 2.2. I suggest it is due to third party apps and not 2.2, or a lot more people would have the issues.

Now, if you want to talk about the "low on space" bug that Android STILL has with the update of 2.2- NOW you are talking!

I still suggest that updating straight over 2.1 to 2.2 is too big of a jump and not expect problems. Cleaning data and cache and then installing seems the only safe way for less issues.

Upvote 0
Lots of responses...but to answer some:

The text going to the wrong person is a known problem that i found out about after it happened to me. It wasn't a typo or clicking on the wrong conversation -I was replying to a text I had just gotten and it sent to someone I didn't have a conversation going with.

Stock everything and yes, I did do a factory reset after installation.

I blame Verizon not for the code, but for releasing something that has issues like these (mostly the texting thing - again, a known issue).

Upvote 0

The text going to the wrong person is a known problem that i found out about after it happened to me. It wasn't a typo or clicking on the wrong conversation -I was replying to a text I had just gotten and it sent to someone I didn't have a conversation going with.

I blame Verizon not for the code, but for releasing something that has issues like these (mostly the texting thing - again, a known issue).

ok, reproduce the problem of sending the text to the wrong person? i bet you cant do it. If you cant then whats to say that when VZW tested the OS they even say this happen 1 time.

Now i know VZW and the quality of testing they do but this problem is probably not on the radar unless it is widespread and reproducable.

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
Everyone has a different phone.

Everyone has a different set of apps.

Some people have SD cards, some don't. Some don't have the same brand SD card.

We all live in different places. Some are close to towers than others. We probably don't have the same routers and even if we do, the channel traffic is likely to be different.

There are lots of different things going on that can influence how our phones behave.

If Froyo generally fried SD cards, then it would be frying lots of SD cards. It's possible there could be some weird state where that happens, depending on your personal situation. If Froyo generally drained batteries really quick, it would doing that for lots of batteries. I don't think we see that, while I don't doubt that it is happening for some. But who knows what they conditions are.

My wifi and 3G seem to work. My Wifi at home is rock solid, but at work I get dropped a lot. I'm using battery left now to calibrate the Seido 3500 mah extended battery. Right now I'm at 90/100 and the projected life is 83 hours. Wifi and 3G on as needed, GPS on when needed. Web surfing, reading email, and blog reading. Not too bad, I'd say.

Naw...I'd have to say that Froyo isn't the problem...but there clearly is some kind of problem. Maybe bad apps, bad phones, bad batteries. Iffy wifi chips, iffy 3G chips, etc. Or perhaps some weird 1-in-a-zillion bad combination of stuff.

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
Bah! Froyo stinks. I'm sorry.....I really mean, Froyo on the Incredible stinks. My gripe is the super slow battery charging. But then again, that was more of a decision of HTC than an operating system. Ok, so I should really say HTC stinks!

As for sending text to the wrong person, I've done that too. Sometimes, I will be in one conversation, and then I would get a respond which would appear on the top of the screen and so I would start typing, thinking that I am on that conversation that flashed above me.

Upvote 0

I had the exact same thing happen to me..a friend had texted asking me a question about my phone...when I replied, it went to a totally different person

Upvote 0
Unrevoked forever, unrevoked3 leaked RUU

1. My turn by turn no longer works, it just sticks on the "Searching for GPS". I can switch to the list view and the directions show ok, but I cant do the text to speech, which is pretty damn important.

2. The sound quality for Cherry Rplayer is HORRIBLE. Unlistenable, infact. I know it's not froyo's fault, but it really sucks. I cant find a replacement either, nothing I can find plays CBS radio (need it for WXYT, 97.1 the Ticket out of Detroit) for sports.

3. Google Listen no longer works. I cant log in. Says I need a google account to log in, even though I obviously have one. I had to buy Doggcatcher as a replacement because beyondpod couldnt find half of my podcasts.

Does anybody know of any fixes to these?

Help Please??..pretty, pretty please?

Upvote 0
I didn't read every post in this thread so forgive me if I restate anything. The texts to the wrong person issue has popped up in a few places so I think it's a known bug (although I have no idea what causes it). The time change for me is due to the phone switching my longitude/latitude to Europe and then my clock goes psyco (this happens every day after noon, but only when I'm at my desk at work), my weather is all off, and my google maps/searches is way wrong. I also commonly lose 3g when I get off wifi. My Footprints widget doesn't load correctly and I've had some other weird, quirky behavior. Oddly enough....my battery greatly improved with Froyo.

My fiancee did the OTA upgrade and has literally ZERO problems and loves Froyo to death....I wiped my phone and did the RUU and have been riddled with problems. Basically, we all don't have the same exact configuration. Yes, it sucks I'm having problems but I know the potential is there for this great OS so I'm sticking by it.

Upvote 0
Even though I experience minute issues while being rooted, it's nothing I can't fix if I am patient with it. It seems like those who thought, rooting would be "too dangerous" or "a hassle" are having more issues not being rooted than us rooted users. I praise his name everyday that I rooted my phone not to mention making the great choice to purchase this radical phone to begin with.

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues, I really hope you get passed them as this phone is one of the top phones in my humble opinion. While rooted, it's a freakin' computer in my pocket. Pure amazing. (FYI, I came from an enV Touch, lol.)

Upvote 0
This could be a software issue, but I know for a fact that me and a friend are awful at drunken swiping. Have you ever seen the next day what you sent out after a hard night of drinking? Its funny. Big fingers and fuzzy vision. There could be some user error out there (accidently sending it to the wrong person). As I said, this could be a players nightmare, just like FB.

hope we can figure it out.

Upvote 0
The "text to wrong person" thing has been reported by folks using stock messaging, SMS Popup and Handcent. However it was a problem already before 2.2. Additionally, it's happening with multiple phone models. I've been one of the unlucky users this has happened to. Fortunately it's been a long time since the last one and I'm hoping it's over although I was hoping 2.2 would be the cure. Evidently not.

http://androidforums.com/incredible-support-troubleshooting/87355-texts-go-wrong-person.html

http://androidforums.com/incredible...ing/155315-texts-going-wrong-person-help.html

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/113664-texts-sending-random-people.html

Upvote 0
1. (Important) Did the message show in your phone as going to the correct person, but the actual message went to someone else?
2. Do you have your phone set to sync to network time?

I'm not the OP but as one who has had this happen my answers are:

1.) message showed going to correct person but actually went to another
2.) Yes

You have my attention. What's the reason for asking these 2 questions?

Upvote 0
I'm not the OP but as one who has had this happen my answers are:

1.) message showed going to correct person but actually went to another
2.) Yes

You have my attention. What's the reason for asking these 2 questions?

This same behavior happened to me on my old Palm Treo 750 with phone calls (I'd be connected to someone else's call destination and they'd be connected to mine) and (twice) recently on a Samsung Alias 2 with texts--which were clearly "sent" correctly, but received on a different handset. (My teenage daughter was sending a message she'd rather not have us see, but the message went to my wife instead of her friend...some have said this was Divine intervention, LOL)

When I called Verizon, they had me do some special test "marks" via entering a special code to mark the incidents so they could track it down. They said repeatedly that this was a "network problem", but it happened regularly only on my Treo (dozens of times before I finally got rid of the phone). It happened on the Samsung Alias 2 until it was replaced with another unit after it fizzled (literally)...and never happened again on the new unit.

Because of my personal experience with this, on unrelated operating systems, I tend to think there's something going on with the phone's radio. If it continues, I'd strongly consider exchanging the unit.

My Treo, by the way, tended to show a time 15 seconds offset from my other Verizon phones (reason for the "sync" question).

Upvote 0
Because of my personal experience with this, on unrelated operating systems, I tend to think there's something going on with the phone's radio. If it continues, I'd strongly consider exchanging the unit.

Interesting theory but if it's happening on 2.2, it's occuring with both the 1.xx original stock radio and at least the 2.15 radio. I do think you're onto something however but I would imagine it'd be nightmarish to try and track down.

I'm leaning more toward a tower relay issue + some network lag intertwined. Both times it happened to me (oddly 1 day apart 2-3 months ago) I had 2 texting conversations going at nearly the same time.

I admit not knowing the science behind messaging and the path the data takes to reach the recipient but my GUESS is that I sent a message to person A and it lagged. I then sent a message to person B which perhaps fired more quickly through the system and essentially "caught up" to the previous message causing routing confusion which sent both messages to person B.

Haibrained theory but that's what was going on in my case and it kinda makes some sense on paper but it might make zero sense to those who are highly knowledgeable in data transfer...which I am not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones