• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo release day - Nov 11th

Hello, first post here so bare with me :)

First let me start off by saying I currently have the moto droid 1 and I am thinking about upgrading to the samsung fascinate. Really about the only thing that's holding me back is that the fascinate doesn't have froyo.. I have searched all night to see if there's an official date but the most recent post I'm able to find is from early october.

So my two questions are... 1. Does anyone have a clue or is it all still just speculation? And 2. To the users that have used both droid and fascinate, would I truly be "upgrading?"

Thanks!

Upvote 0
ok so I'm looking online about froyo update and I stumble on a page that says froyo update is available by hooking phone up to computer. pretty much all the info it had no website for update nothing...has anyone heard of a US update yet? or was that probably for the UK update?:thinking:

really we have no clear idea when we ll get it. samsung has officially promised that by the end of the year its on all phones, but id be willing to bet the *earliest* we d see it is thanksgiving. some people who know vzw beta testers have stated that they have yet to see 2.2 for the fascinate, so take that for whats it worth (their not the ONLY testers).

still it can only be positive that other sgs phones are getting it :)

Reactions: davidnmegan6907
Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums, amaddox, and to the Samsung Fascinate area.

Most Fascinate users, myself not included, are anticipating the arrival of Froyo 2.2 to their devices sometime before the end of this year; all sorts of rumors abound. ;)

As far as upgrading from the Droid to the Fascinate, and whether or not you should consider that move an upgrade, you'll see opinions about that going both ways.

I feel that the Droid is inferior to the Fascinate for many reasons, not the least of which is the toy-like slide out keyboard on the Motorola. Opinions about that differ, as well.

Play with a Fascinate in the store, then make up your mind.

Good luck. Have fun.

Upvote 0
^ great post from frisco.

i would definitely play around with the different phones in store as many people coming from a motorola complain about the "feel" or build quality of a samsung. personally i have no issue, but everyone has their own opinion. :eek:

in any event we hope you jump into the fascinate community. if not, best of luck with whatever fine android phone u upgrade too :)

Upvote 0
One somewhat annoyance though is that the Fascinate isn't a "Droid" branded "Google" phone so it has Bing. It bugged me at first, but I got over it. (=

there are several posts in here (and conveniently located in the sticky from frisco) about de-binging (i prefer google-ing :D) your phone.

bing is an irratation that its on a google phone, but i prefer that the phone isnt a "droid".

if someone asks if i have a droid, i say no. i have a galaxy s phone :)

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Facinate and I want to know with the 2.2 update will it include Voice dial with Bluetooth..My I phone worked great with my Blueant Q 2 PLEASE someone let me know the status as in Califorina you must use a headset

I doubt it will, but I'm not 100% sure. You can download Vlingo for free, which was better for me than Google Activate and it supports headset dialing.

Upvote 0
well with that do you think its worth taking the time too root my phone..I know that when froyo comes that it will pretty much clear out everything so if we are just talking less than a month should I just wait?

well if your root now, you ll most likely be able to just avoid the ota and a few hours later it ll be available from xda and you can load it through clockwork.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones