• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo release day - Nov 11th

For whatever reason I chose not to root until the official froyo updates comes out so I can take that one and see if I need anymore functionality.

My question is, if KIES is used for the OTA update, then why does VZ have to get involved? I suppose I am hoping to get this around Thanksgiving or just after.

I will say that the phone flies on its own, except for the occasional second or two lag; haven't experience the GPS issues on mine so I guess I'm lucky. Haven't regretted getting this phone for a second and I was going to get the Dinc, waited months for this phone and I am glad I did.

Upvote 0
You're expressing pretty close to the way I feel about the Froyo update.

My Fascinate is bugless, fast and furious. But I do root it from time to time to run things I see questions about in the forums so that I can have a bit of experience behind my responses.

It's rooted now and I'm thinking I'll run the first 2.2 ROM that shows up for the above mentioned reason; that's why I'm waiting for Froyo.

Unrooting is a snap, so I might as well "toggle" the two. ;)

Upvote 0
You're expressing pretty close to the way I feel about the Froyo update.

My Fascinate is bugless, fast and furious. But I do root it from time to time to run things I see questions about in the forums so that I can have a bit of experience behind my responses.

It's rooted now and I'm thinking I'll run the first 2.2 ROM that shows up for the above mentioned reason; that's why I'm waiting for Froyo.

Unrooting is a snap, so I might as well "toggle" the two. ;)

I flashed a couple ROMs onto my Omnia, yeah I know, but I just didn't see the huge benefit to doing it. Always ended up moving back to the stock ROM. I was using omniaroms.com so may I just need to try the XDA flavors and they might be better.

Convinced my brother to move from a flip phone to the Fascinate on the two for one deal and I just told him if there aren't any solid rumors about froyo the week after turkey day I think I am going to go to the dark side. :)

Upvote 0
For whatever reason I chose not to root until the official froyo updates comes out so I can take that one and see if I need anymore functionality.

My question is, if KIES is used for the OTA update, then why does VZ have to get involved? I suppose I am hoping to get this around Thanksgiving or just after.

I will say that the phone flies on its own, except for the occasional second or two lag; haven't experience the GPS issues on mine so I guess I'm lucky. Haven't regretted getting this phone for a second and I was going to get the Dinc, waited months for this phone and I am glad I did.

we dont use kies, the other gsm sgs phones do

Upvote 0
i came from a droid1 to a fascinate. i do miss the physical keyboard sometimes, as well as 2.2, but other than that, the fascinate is awesome! if you've used swype, you'll be ok without the keyboard.
I came from the D1 also and found the physical flat keyboard absolutely useless- So did Moto, hence the D2 with raised buttons.

I do not find the Fascinate cheap feeling, it's plastic which is what it feels like. I have a TPU smoke case so it could be metal or iphone glass and I would never know (except for the heaviness).

I like swype but voice text is pretty good too. Looking forward to 2.2 which I don't miss that much.

Upvote 0
Great upgrade for me. It way faster can actually play gif's with out using the browser or downloading Hancent which I hatted. It can play some videos with in the browser it self. Don't even worry about bing I cause it really doesn't make you use it only with the exception of the capacitive search button. The only thing I miss about the Droid is its solid feel.

Upvote 0
ha, just theres plenty of other stuff to complain about, and i feel its getting neglected in the froyo moaning :D

Yeah, let's move on...

gingerbread_man.jpg

Reactions: nitsuj17
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones