• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Froyo rooting options?

Zebulon

Android Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2010
Des Moines, Iowa
www.facebook.com
I updated my Mezmerize to the new 2.2 firmware last week, and I, like most of the others who have does this, have noticed a DRASTIC decline in battery life. I have also noticed that at any given time, about 50mb more RAM is being used up.

I know that rooting will often give the option to kill some of the background programs that I don't want to use and cannot uninstall. Would this potentially help with the battery life problems?

Has anyone rooted their Mezmerize since 2.2 was released? Is there anything significant to be gained by rooting?

I'm running the "leaked" 2.2 USCC build that was released on XDA at the beginning of Feb. I am not sure if its much different than what was officially released. It doesn't sound like it, because I am experiencing terrible battery life as well.

The main advantage I have found with root access is Titanium Backup works extremely well with the phone. Combined with Dropbox I have a setup that automatically backs up to my SD card and Dropbox every other day (changes only), with a full backup weekly. Titanium also allows me to "freeze" bloatware apps that I don't want running, but also don't want to uninstall since they are part of the stock OS build. It has helped the battery life issue somewhat, but not nearly to the level I would like.

Upvote 0
Jt has produced a undervolted voodoo kernel, with sound and color enhancements, compiled from samsung source code. Coupled with phild's ec10 combo, pnp rom & splash of color theme. This mez is running great & looking good with excellent battery life. There is rumor of gingerbread coming down the pike among other things. For the noobs, spend some time in the xda mesmerize forums. Not encouraging root, but the option is available, I will never run stock junk. :eek:

Reactions: jamoosh
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones