1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Froyo Screen Capture

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by greenmunky, Feb 18, 2011.

1. greenmunky

greenmunky Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Craft Beer Provider
    Spring, TX
    So yesterday I was awkwardly holding my phone along with some other things and almost dropped it. When I caught it the screen was still on and I heard the camera shutter sound. When I looked at the screen it said "screen capture successful" or something like that but I can't find a screen shot in any of my Gallery folders. Does anyone know what I did, how I can do it again, and where these screen images end up? Thanks I advance for any help.

Advertisement

2. voodooochild

voodooochild Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 25, 2010
    Male
    Fulfillment/Graphics
    UK
    not sure if its anything like its European counterpart, but on my galaxy S if i hold the back button and the physical key in the middle it takes a SS, but then this is then visible in the gallery in its own folder.

rion_j and greenmunky like this.
  3. greenmunky

None

Nov 7, 2009
    Craft Beer Provider
    Spring, TX

That's pretty much it. Thank you. If I press and hold the "back" soft key and press the "power" button it takes a snapshot of the screen and saves it in a gallery folder all its own. Quite nifty and makes DroCap obsolete.

nunyazz likes this.
  4. seanatsb

seanatsb Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    And ShootMe obsolete. Though sometimes shaking the phone may be easier than hitting two buttons.

I'm going to post the link to this page on Tips and Tricks.

5. voodooochild

voodooochild Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 25, 2010
    Male
    Fulfillment/Graphics
    UK
    more than welcome!

nunyazz likes this.
  6. rigglemania

rigglemania Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    Yeah I was gonna say, I don't know that it makes them obsolete. Especially since ShootMe has a video capture mode. But it definitely cuts down on how often I need those programs by a lot.

7. seanatsb

seanatsb Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    wow, i didnt know that. What video are you going to capture with it? Something like a video of you flipping through homescreens, or your live wallpaper in action? just curious, because I had no idea about this, or even how to use that option.

8. rigglemania

rigglemania Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    So far the only time I've used it was to show my brother the new text selection handle in 2.2 (he hasn't upgraded yet) but the examples you mentioned would be a good use of it as well (though you'd need to bump the frame rate up to the max of 10fps in ShootMe's setting for the proper effect)

Press the menu softkey when you first launch ShootMe to see the preferences option.

seanatsb likes this.
  9. bmxdad

bmxdad Member
    None

Oct 16, 2010
    Programmer
    Puyallup, Wa
    Very cool ... one less app to deal with ... works even when the phone is locked!

10. Frenzy2223

Frenzy2223 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Maryland
    This is not working for me. When I hold down the back bottom and press the power button it either goes black and then brings up the lock screen or gives me the phone options menu. What am I doing wrong?

11. greenmunky

None

Nov 7, 2009
    Craft Beer Provider
    Spring, TX

Are you running EB01?

12. Frenzy2223

Frenzy2223 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Maryland
    No, I'm running the official update Froyo.UCKB1

13. greenmunky

None

Nov 7, 2009
    Craft Beer Provider
    Spring, TX

Correct me if I'm wrong but Froyo.UCKB1 is for the Captivate, not the Fascinate. Don't know if this trick works on that phone or not. Might be a different button press combination.

14. R5-D4

R5-D4 Lurker
    None

May 2, 2011
    After reading these posts and messing around with this little issue myself, I have come with 3 easy steps to ensure you are doing screen capture correctly:
    1. As said before, hold the "back" soft key for 1 second, until you feel a very small, quick vibration.
    2. Immediately after you feel that small vibrate, press the "power" button on the right side of your phone.
    3. You should see a little dialog box pop-up and tell you that you just performed a screen capture, and it was saved to your gallery.

*NOTE*
    If you are capturing a locked screen, you will not feel a vibrate, but you will once you press the power button.

Cheers,

R-D4

Sahana likes this.
  15. Sahana

Sahana Lurker
    None

May 7, 2011
    Thank you so much. I have been trying to figure this out for the longest time.

16. annabomber

annabomber Lurker
    None

May 23, 2011
    Yeah, Froyo.UCKB1 is Captivate.

And I just ran across some Captivate users who noted that it's the only Galaxy that does not have this feature; the epic, fascinate, transform, and vibrant all do (though it varies between either Back+Power or Back+Home). Froyo's built-in screen capture - Android Forums

Perhaps AT&T nixed the feature for whatever arbitrary, capricious reason. Some of our family just became AT&T which bought out Alltel, and I had to root some HTC phones to give them Swype, but even rooted, they couldn't install anything but official market apps so I had to script-install everything. Even a safe, unobjectionable app like Swype. Must be from that iPhone landlord mentality where they forgot WE own the phones and should decide its apps, not them.

17. klbates76

klbates76 Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2011
    Last phone I had the screen capture worked perfectly. Had other trouble so Verizon said I needed a new phone. This phone, as soon as I barely even touch the back button it goes back to the previous screen before I even get a chance to hit power button. Unless, of course, I'm on my home screen. Any suggestions?