1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Froyo Un-root to OTA?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WA_Bob, May 25, 2011.

1. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert

I apologize in advance if I'm just asking an obvious question that I should have already seen scanning other threads, but it's been one of those weeks for me already.

After some gnashing of teeth and SBFing, I got back to rooted Froyo yesterday but really haven't done anything with it yet (I have Bootstrap and Titanium Backup and...... that's it). To get the official Gingerbread OTA, do I need to go back to z4 and simply un-root? Or will I get it regardless and then get to wait patiently for the smart people to crack it so the little people like me can eventually try rooting again? :thinking:

For my part, I'd like to get the official OTA (loved .595!) and I'm content to wait until the kinks in rooting it are worked out before I try again. Enquiring minds want to know and thanks again for any help! :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

To get the OTA you must be completely stock. No root, etc. If you rooted with z4 root then I would unroot and perform a factory reset. That should put you in a position to get the OTA when it does come out.

Just remember to activate your phone again after the reset.

WA_Bob likes this.
  3. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

as far as i know...if you're just rooted...nothing else changed the update should work...but it will break root access

4. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert

Groovy! That'll actually be easy to do! :D

Thanks much!

5. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

With all the talk about VZW possibly coming up with ways to track rooted users, it's not too far fetched to believe root access would stop an OTA release. Rather be safe than sorry...lol

6. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

ehhhhhh i agree with Metfanant I would just sit tight and try pulling it. And really that whole "tracking rooted users" thing is 100% rumor.

7. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert

The worst it can do is fail, so if it doesn't come through I'll go back to factory settings and either pull it OTA or from one of the mirror sites I know will pop up. Then they can track me playing Angry Birds in my shorts all they want.......

Thanks again all!

8. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

Yeah I know its all rumor. But it never hurts to leave yourself open to the possibility that vzw would do it if they can find a way......I'm a "don't trust anyone" kinda guy....lol

9. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

i have no doubt in my mind that VZW could trak down rooted phones right now if they wanted...will they? :p

10. hasbrobot

hasbrobot Android Enthusiast

Doesn't boostrap need to be removed as well?

11. hasbrobot

hasbrobot Android Enthusiast

Not just uninstalled but undone as well. By removing the files it installed it in system/data?

12. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert

Yes...you have to remove the files for bootstrap. For this update I've heard you have to be bone stock, other updates as long as all the bloat was there it would update. They are saying this one has to be straight stock, i.e. not even rooted.

13. esemes

esemes Well-Known Member

really??? Im just gonna flash a non-deodexed froyo backup with all bloat and see what happens....

14. Metroidman

Metroidman Member

Bring on the update. I don't really need root.

15. nsa_sailor

nsa_sailor Android Enthusiast

All the conspiracy issues aside, can you just run the unroot feature of Z4Root?

16. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

on froyo yes, but your superuser icon still remains, but you may still be able to receive the ota, i have never received an ota before so im not sure
    on gb no. :(

17. Greavous

Greavous Android Enthusiast

I went back to stock froyo a couple weeks ago and today rooted it just in hopes of missing the update. Id rather not wind up snared in a VZW trap should they pull such a stunt with the update. Figure if it does come my way I can put it off long enough to let the smart guys have a look at it first and see if it is rootable or not, then decided what to do.

18. VoidedSaint

everything is rootable, just how complicated it is remains to be seen

luckily though we have developers who love the DX and will do what they can to help provide for the community :)

19. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert

That's why I decided to just SBF back to stock Froyo and get the update. I'm not a big root user (yet) so I'll get my official stock GB Friday or over the weekend. Once the dust settles and a stable way to root this version is out, I'll go back to learning and playing. :D

20. VoidedSaint

GB is nice, you will have the same thing that we have, just a different version, but nothing will be different, except we have root, and root applications running, but GB is so nice that running the gingerblur is still fast as it can be

WA_Bob likes this.
  21. BOOGIE_BOTZ

BOOGIE_BOTZ Member

Wait...just want to confirm. So we can Z4 unroot and factory reset and be able to still receive OTA? If so, that would be so much easier than SBF'ing since I don't have a PC.

How about maderstocking? Would that work too? I don't care about root after GB to be honest.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews