• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo update fails - OTA / Manual

Aubiek

Lurker
Aug 17, 2010
Running a non(never) rooted droid, running 2.1-update1, ESE81
My OTA update yesterday and today both failed, so I went ahead and tried the manual update as per the guide here - downloaded the update files, made sure they were in the /sdroot named correctly (update.zip) not (update.zip.zip)
on boot, went into recovery mode - hit update from update.zip - checks the file, finds it, works fine, gets to:

verifying current system... assert failed

gives me two values (clearly different) and then says update aborted.

Again, never rooted or anything - so I tried both an SD format and factory reset (same time) then rebooted - again received a 2.2 OTA update notification, tried again, same failure.

I have seen a few other people with this type issue, but re-downloading the update, or doing a factory reset seemed to fix it.... also a lot of those issues were on rooted, or previously rooted phones.

Thanks,

Andrew

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones