• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Froyo update on rooted droid

jennay22

Apr 19, 2010
VA
So I rooted my droid about 2 months ago. I have Bugless Beast V0.4 and I used SPRecovery. No joke, but as soon as I rooted, I got the official Froyo update from VZW:eek:. I clicked on install and it took me to recovery mode ( i think that's what it's called) and I just clicked on "reboot now" and my phone stayed rooted. Now I'm getting the Froyo update message about once a week (since then) and each time I just "reboot" the phone. Well today I got a text from VZW saying that my droid was sent the Android 2.2 update and to click for more info. What do I do and/or how do I stop the updates from coming? I love the way my droid is right now and do not want to change it. Thanks!:)

Try this (credit to girlluvsdroid and sinfuldragon) it worked for me:

Originally Posted by SinfulDragon
quoted from GirLuvsDroid

Hopefully, you have Root Explorer (and if you don't, I highly recommend it because it's so worth the couple of bucks). Here are the instructions to prevent to the FRG22D OTA update (which I was getting yesterday myself):

1. In Root Explorer, go to /system/
2. Tap Mount R/W at the top, then long-press on build.prop and scroll down to Open in Text Editor
3. Once the file is open as a text file, scroll down until you see the line that says: "ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG01B/45394:user/release-keys" and change it to read as follows:
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys
4. Tap the back key and say "Yes" when it asks you to save (it will automatically back up the original file for you)
5. Tap Mount R/O at the top
6. Reboot

You will no longer get the OTA update notifications, because Verizon will believe you already have it.

That didn't work for me until I changed the line above it that says "description" to match, now there's no more update. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones