1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Froyo Update problem( "Firmware Update has stopped working")

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aderoks, May 1, 2011.

1. aderoks

aderoks Lurker
    None

May 1, 2011
    Hi,

I had to post this problem because I couldn't find any satisfactory answers anywhere. I updated the Kies to the latest version, and it detected the mobile only after I removed the SD card. That's perfectly ok, and the popup notifying me that a new firmware upgrade is available came up. But when I start the upgrade and the firmware update process starts, suddenly a window pops up saying that "Firmware Update has stopped working". I work on Win 7. I don't want any solutions saying to flash my mobile, please. I want the official update to work. Please help me out. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. pve2112

pve2112 Lurker
    None

May 4, 2011
    Hi,

I've just had a similar, slightly more successful issue. I've just opened Kies and it's told me to upgrade to the latest version, which I did. When connecting my SGA, I got a pop up stating latest firmware was available (I checked mine last week and it was 2.1). Downloaded the firmware update and got told to disconnect and reboot the device. Which I did. Now my phone won't even boot up and sticks on the black I5801 screen. On Win 7.

Anyone have any advice please? Kies sees it trying to connect but after a few minutes says the device is unavailable and to reboot it.

Thanks

3. bjlabuk

bjlabuk Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    aderoks

While in Kies did you try going to Tools > Emergency Firmware Recovery ?

pve2112,

Try getting into Recovery Mode by holding down volume up + volume down (press in the centre of the button) + Home and while holding them down press the Power On/off button. Wait until the screen starts to appear then release the Power button and the other buttons. Use the vol up /vol down buttons to move up and down the menu. Select wipe cache + data -> reboot ->

Rebooting can take 5 - 10 minutes.

bjl

4. aderoks

aderoks Lurker
    None

May 1, 2011
    Well, I just crossed the hurdle.. I decided not to take any risk and went to my nearest Samsung Service Centre where they installed Froyo and it's working fine now.. But I think these issues have now cropped up for many of the users and for these also, I don't think any satisfactory solutions exist.

1. At first, I couldn't get the Swype keyboard at all.. in the service centre, they said I'd get it only if I reverted back to the previous version. However, I explored a bit in the mobile and activated it, but it's not working.

2. I downloaded a live wallpaper but quite predictively, the error message popped up saying "Your device does not support the live wallpaper feature".

I mean, now I'm seriously thinking what I got Froyo for? What are the advantages which I now have which weren't present in Eclair?

5. pve2112

pve2112 Lurker
    None

May 4, 2011
    bjlabuk

thanks for the info, a friend tried that the day after, got to an Android symbol with a big red X and then it went back to the black screen. So I phoned my contractor who were very kind and couriered out a new handset the same day. So I've a new phone set, but still with Eclair on. I think it may be a common problem, as even though I donn't have insurance, they replaced it immediatly. But I'm back at square 1...

6. bjlabuk

bjlabuk Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    pve2112,

Whether you are upgrading via Kies or by flashing your phone using ODIN, it is always best to do a 'clean' installation, by wiping old data from the phone's internal memory first. The presence of old data in the internal memory can cause problems.

Also there is important information about your phone stored in the file nv_data.bin in the system root folder "efs" of your phone. It is recommended that you keep a backup of your original /efs folder just in case, before changing or modifying anything.

Backup any contacts etc you want to keep by transferring them to your PC using Kies etc.

Then, Factory data Reset your phone by entering the code *#*#7780#*#* on your keypad, or by going into Settings>Privacy>Factory Data Reset. This will wipe the cache of old data.

Then go to Settings>Wireless and Network>USB Settings and select Samsung Kies.

Open Kies on your PC and once it is running connect your phone with the USB cable. Kies should detect the type of phone etc and notify you if there is a firmware update.

If there is, follow the instructions. Don't disconnect your phone until the update is complete and the home screen appears.

Then do another factory data reset. Then switch your phone off and on once or twice to let it sort itself out.

bjlabuk