• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo update... unacceptable

Check this out. Not that Samsung has ever kept their word when it comes to software updates, but it's still a sad story for us users :(

Are you serious? You're okay with having an unoptimized Froyo released to us after Gingerbread is out (by the looks of it, this seems possible :D)? Wow! :rolleyes:

Yes I am ok with the phone how it is, if I wasn't I wouldn't have bought it. Will I be happy if the new release improves it? you bet I will.

You are spending way too much time listening to "A Samsung Source Said..." when you should simply wait and see if it actually happens, I bet you are the kind of person who believes what you read in the press, and politicians when they say "vote for me and .... [add your own bulkshit here]" :D :rolleyes:

Stop whining and wait for Christmas morning, Santa will bring the update .... honest.

Upvote 0
This is the exact same bullshite that all HTC Hero owners went through and I'm quite certain just about every other phone owner has gone through. Hell, I'm sure even the iDouche owners have gone through it as well.

I love how people feel like they're owed this update and if they don't get it within the nano-second of being told it would happen they feel like they have the right to call Congress to session and take said company to the high court.

I wish my life was so uninvolved that I had time to ponder over such trivial things...oh wait, maybe I'm happy it's not...

Upvote 0
This is the exact same bullshite that all HTC Hero owners went through and I'm quite certain just about every other phone owner has gone through. Hell, I'm sure even the iDouche owners have gone through it as well.

I love how people feel like they're owed this update and if they don't get it within the nano-second of being told it would happen they feel like they have the right to call Congress to session and take said company to the high court.

I wish my life was so uninvolved that I had time to ponder over such trivial things...oh wait, maybe I'm happy it's not...

Look, I(we?) get your point, you have a life and you are busy and you don't care about getting the update as soon as possible.

But I don't think all 3 or 4 of your posts saying pretty much the same are gonna make any difference, after all this is an Android forum, filled with excited people, devs(?), geeks and people who just want to be on the highest firmware version, who just can't wait for their update that was promised to them, so your arguments won't change the view of the people here.

Even if I get it and have the same opinion as you do, I don't think it's worth your while to write these kind of posts here (aren't you too busy anyways?). ;)

Upvote 0
@JDuc Normally I would agree with you, but when a phone like the Nexus 1 has had Froyo for months and N1 users are already bored with it, you have to wonder why companies are dragging *** with porting Froyo over?

Gingerbread is already right around the corner, yet Froyo is still waiting in the bakery.

Companies like Samsung, Sony, and Motorola should make this their #1 priority since Android is keeping their ride alive...

Upvote 0
My SGS rocks on 2.1 quick, stable, does what it says on the tin. If Froyo was released tomorrow I would be in no hurry to upgrade for a few months as there will be bugs in the new software that could balls up my phone, I am in N.Ireland sure the GPS signal is not great on the phone but if you depend on sat nav for a living eg driver/courier I would just buy a garmin or tom tom and be done.

Upvote 0
Dear Samsung, heres an idea... lets give everyone who wants an invalidated version of 2.2 (because you 'promised' it), immediately. And they can live with its shortcomings.
The rest of us will wait until its been tested and is good as its gonna be.
I wonder who'll be happier.
I upgraded firmware through Kies yesterday as i figured it would be an improvement - and guess what? I'll be u turning that tonight. Utter crap.

To echo another post, at the end of the day its just a phone. Build a bridge...

Upvote 0
I'm one of the people who whinges about Samsung on here but it's really not the 2.2 update I'm bothered about.

It's the rest of the bugs etc. They should have rolled out a 2.1 patch for GPS/Wifi/Lag quite some time ago. That's my problem with them.

Agree. For such a big company the software on the phone is a joke, phone should run a lot better for the specs it has.

Anyone know when Kies update and 2.2 Froyo coming out in Aus?
If mobile 7 as good as win 7 I think I will get something with that on it and avoid all this BS. Even apple give better support.

Unless Froyo 2.2 is perfect on GS, be last Samsung/Android phone I buy

Upvote 0
EarlZ - I hope you're wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if you're not. The only thing I believe Samsung officially promised was to fix the GPS on some of the US models. They claim to have done that now even though AT&T seem to disagree.

animal - I dislike Samsung, I do however really like Android. I'm tempted to jump ship to an HTC android phone. On the subject of WP7, it does look like an interesting UI but it does actually seem very sluggish which is quite worrying given all of the hardware is relatively high end.

Edit: I mean the only thing they promised by the end of September was the US GPS fixes. Froyo itself was promised but I don't think there was an official timescale.

Upvote 0
Check this out. Not that Samsung has ever kept their word when it comes to software updates, but it's still a sad story for us users :(

Are you serious? You're okay with having an unoptimized Froyo released to us after Gingerbread is out (by the looks of it, this seems possible :D)? Wow! :rolleyes:

Samsung didn't promise you anything! Come on! You read a blog that claims Samsung UK said froyo will be ready in September and you are whining when it doesn't come to pass???

If you would have read it on a Samsung website or publication then you could complain without many calling you a whinner but as it stands...

Upvote 0
The press releases only mentioned US models and I believe didn't actually state any dates. What one of their executives said to a reporter is far more easily dismissed.

On the subject of tmo UK, don't trust a word they say. They have no idea when talking about android. This is the company that spent months saying the Spica/portal 1.5-2.1 update was either imminent or never coming as it provided no benefits to users. Which answer depended on the day of the week.

The source of the Korean fella's excitement is a supposedly leaked email dated a couple of weeks ago that has been doing the rounds. It is in no way official and the timescale it mentioned has already passed.

Upvote 0
Well,....I'm in a bad mood...and I'm more than willing to take it out on Samsung.
Having to deal with all the BS (lack of support and piss poor attention to firmware upgrades) and software crap (Kies) has finally put me over the limit !
I have completely ran out of patience with the whole lot !
Gingerbread 2.3) is (seemingly) ready to be released soon.....and we SGS owners with Eclair (2.1) are STILL waiting for our Froyo (2.2) firmware upgrade !
And then when it does become officially available.....we will have to TRY to do the upgrade with that real piece of shite software called KIES.
What a bunch of BS !!!
And....the big questions still remain....
1.) Will the upgrade fix the damn GPS problem once and for all. Will we SGS owners be able to actually have a device in our hands that can really accurately show us the correct position???
2.) Will the upgrade resolve the lag problem once and for all? Will we SGS owners be able to switch apps without having to stare at a black screen for too long a time ???
3.) and what about the apparent WiFi problems? Will we SGS owners be able to use WiFi WITHOUT glitches ???

To all of those questions my response is....I SURE AS HELL HOPE SO...because having a few glitches is not uncommon with any phone (antenna-gate)....but long delays in getting proper fixes out to owners and having a good software program to use to install them...should NOT be so damn hard to get....especially from a major company like Samsung. They could've, and should've done done a hell of a lot better on ALL of these issues.
Fire the jackass who was the project manager that signed off on releasing Kies!
Do better QA on devices BEFORE they are released to the public.
Make required 'fixes' an in-house priority, and get the damn fixes out to owners ASAP!

My major problem...is that I STILL LOVE MY SGS.....but I'm on the verge of really disliking (hating) all the jackasses at Samsung who were/are a part of the problems I've been having to put up with when using my SGS for FAR TOO LONG now !
SAMMY....you need to get your shite together ! If you don't I will NOT be a repeat customer. I walked away from MicroSoft...(See Avatar)..and I can walk away from Samsung too !

Signed...a very frustrated Samsung Galaxy S owner.

Upvote 0
To be fair, I totally understand your rant. I think I was also one of those users/customers who felt extremely frustrated by 1) Samsung's slow progress releasing 2.2, 2) Kies (which is still an issue, seriously why lock us in using this horrible software just K.I.S.S.) 3) dealing with living through all the mistakes and bugs that SGS 2.1 Eclair had (which is a lot... a lot).

Post 2.2 Froyo, I'm at a very calm state. From my experience so far

1) A lot of stability issues has been resolved (once you factory reset)
2) Pre-lag fix the phone is quite usable, though there's some noticable lag occasionally (You can re-root and reapply a lag fix to compensate)
3) They've resolved some of the most annoying bugs and the features of 2.2 Froyo has been a joy to descover.

I've nothing to say about the GPS. I seems to work for me, but I don't have the background or the methodology to really test it.

For me, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. I have to say, I love my phone even more.

Paitence.

Well,....I'm in a bad mood...and I'm more than willing to take it out on Samsung.
Having to deal with all the BS (lack of support and piss poor attention to firmware upgrades) and software crap (Kies) has finally put me over the limit !
I have completely ran out of patience with the whole lot !
Gingerbread 2.3) is (seemingly) ready to be released soon.....and we SGS owners with Eclair (2.1) are STILL waiting for our Froyo (2.2) firmware upgrade !
And then when it does become officially available.....we will have to TRY to do the upgrade with that real piece of shite software called KIES.
What a bunch of BS !!!
And....the big questions still remain....
1.) Will the upgrade fix the damn GPS problem once and for all. Will we SGS owners be able to actually have a device in our hands that can really accurately show us the correct position???
2.) Will the upgrade resolve the lag problem once and for all? Will we SGS owners be able to switch apps without having to stare at a black screen for too long a time ???
3.) and what about the apparent WiFi problems? Will we SGS owners be able to use WiFi WITHOUT glitches ???

To all of those questions my response is....I SURE AS HELL HOPE SO...because having a few glitches is not uncommon with any phone (antenna-gate)....but long delays in getting proper fixes out to owners and having a good software program to use to install them...should NOT be so damn hard to get....especially from a major company like Samsung. They could've, and should've done done a hell of a lot better on ALL of these issues.
Fire the jackass who was the project manager that signed off on releasing Kies!
Do better QA on devices BEFORE they are released to the public.
Make required 'fixes' an in-house priority, and get the damn fixes out to owners ASAP!

My major problem...is that I STILL LOVE MY SGS.....but I'm on the verge of really disliking (hating) all the jackasses at Samsung who were/are a part of the problems I've been having to put up with when using my SGS for FAR TOO LONG now !
SAMMY....you need to get your shite together ! If you don't I will NOT be a repeat customer. I walked away from MicroSoft...(See Avatar)..and I can walk away from Samsung too !

Signed...a very frustrated Samsung Galaxy S owner.

Upvote 0
I'd rather wait and see when they fix any bugs left in 2.2 before they release it out to the public. Sure a lot of us are disappointed with false promises, however once everything is stable and secure, I'm sure it'll be a welcomed update. I for one came from a blackberry, and although I do miss communicating with BBM, I have a live wallpaper with Megan Fox's bouncing boobs.

P.S. My only gripe going into android is lack of push notifications for facebook. grrrrr....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones