1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Froyo vs Gingerbread?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by steve12, Feb 6, 2011.

1. steve12

steve12 Lurker

I have a Mytouch Slide, and I have used both Cyanogen 6.1.1 with Froyo and Cyanogen nightly 7 build 28 with Gingerbread. The nightly build of CM7 I use has very few problems.

However, I think the look and feel of Gingerbread sucks compared to Froyo. I prefer having a white notification bar and the buttons are just one shade of a color, unlike Froyo where most buttons had multiple shades of a color.

I'm currently trying to decide wether I should keep Gingerbread or to go back to Froyo.

So, would you rather use Froyo or Gingerbread?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Android Enthusiast

I am sure once CM7 is stable you will be able to have any color you want. Kinda like you can with CM6

3. Semiles

Semiles Lurker

It has nothing to do with the color scheme (must be different for all phones), but I would like to go back to Froyo. Gingerbread has so many bugs for Galaxy S :/

4. Catalyst2012

Catalyst2012 Newbie

What bugs? I just got a new SGS i9000m with Froyo. What don't you like in Gingerbread?

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

The only major bug I've noticed with the Galaxy S and Gingerbread CM, is that the FM radio doesn't work. Non-issue because I never listen to FM radio anyway.

6. Catalyst2012

Catalyst2012 Newbie

The FM radio is useful to me when I go for walks.

That bug is hopefully a CM issue not a Gingerbread issue.

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Galaxy SL on official gingerbread. No bugs. I do not like the way the notification bar isnt fully used though.

8. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

My observations regarding Froyo vs. Gingerbread on my unrooted HTC Desire Z is that Gingerbread seems a bit slower at times and lags, but the battery life is better. There are also a few other things I like about Sense after the Gingerbread update like the widgets. Overall, I prefer Gingerbread more than Froyo.

9. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

All I can say is :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Why would you want to stay on an old, outdated version. Gingerbread has been out for a year, and now ICS is out. On CM7 you can use theme chooser to change the theme and color of the notification bar if it really bothers you.

10. lovemuffin

lovemuffin Newbie

I agree that Froyo looks better, but Gingerbread does have more features. Overall, they are pretty similar.

11. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

not to mention Gingerbread boosted up my phone's processing speed by like more than 400 points on quadrant score. I actually need to reset my phone. Seems like Samsung version of UDP (user data protection) on updates is doing the same thing as Nokia did, some apps arent working to well due to the uninstall prevention. I should have made a clean install. But overall my phone has become faster and generally more stable, except for a few apps.

12. GreenBeans

GreenBeans Newbie

Go with Gingerbread!!!

13. ICS

ICS Lurker

If I were you I would never downgrade. Sounds like you got a pretty good set up as is.

14. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User

No, rooting doesn't erase anything.

15. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I'm sure it is an issue with CM7 and the Galaxy S. They may have even fixed it now, but I haven't looked recently. Chinese FM radio stations suck, so it's not a priority for me. :)

16. Ingoodtime

Ingoodtime Lurker

Thanks Gmash. Can I use one click?

17. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User

Sorry, I'm not sure about the rooting methods for your phone. You should check the "all things root" section in the sub forum for your phone. I see you have a Samsung Galaxy S, but I don't know which variant that is (or I would link you). Samsung phones are usually not difficult to root, though.

18. kishore28

kishore28 Newbie

Hello frnds, i m now using Galaxy Y which has gingerbread and i dnt know much about Froyo because im not used it much. But i want to say one thing, there is one problem in gingerbread like ..if we r in setting when we go up and down after last option if we pull the screen bad blur colored effect is showing while when i checked it in Froyo the menu pumps as a spring and come to position. I think gingerbread effect is too bad.

19. !on

!on Android Expert

Yeah I think this depends on what phone, to be honest. Imo Gingerbread looks great on something like, Desire HD or other thing with larger screen. I think it might be overkill on my Defy, though lot's of Defy owners have got CM7 or other rom.

I just like having neatly arranged icons across my homescreens. I prefer motoblur rom, but with widgets OTHER than the motoblur ones, which I find a little boring. I think animation is overkill on a smaller screen.

20. Catalyst2012

Catalyst2012 Newbie

I'm on stock Gingerbread. FM works fine. While this FM radio is supposed to be mono only, I'd swear some stations are coming in stereo.

21. When I originally got the G2x, I disliked it. All of these promises of changing and upgrading it and nothing ever happened, until GB. I really fell in love with the new additions that GB brought to the table.

22. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

I updated to GB, and am sorry I did. I have a tablet with the same Froyo as the phone had, and I much prefer it.

Since I run the phone as a PDA and Information service - all the new bells and whistles get ignored or frozen by TB. It is rooted and has been.

I thought that updating would make the phone more efficient. It probably does if you like entertainment and social media. I don't. So it didn't do anything for text, voice, or the apps I run.