• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo vs Gingerbread?

steve12

Lurker
Feb 1, 2011
I have a Mytouch Slide, and I have used both Cyanogen 6.1.1 with Froyo and Cyanogen nightly 7 build 28 with Gingerbread. The nightly build of CM7 I use has very few problems.

However, I think the look and feel of Gingerbread sucks compared to Froyo. I prefer having a white notification bar and the buttons are just one shade of a color, unlike Froyo where most buttons had multiple shades of a color.

I'm currently trying to decide wether I should keep Gingerbread or to go back to Froyo.

So, would you rather use Froyo or Gingerbread?

not to mention Gingerbread boosted up my phone's processing speed by like more than 400 points on quadrant score. I actually need to reset my phone. Seems like Samsung version of UDP (user data protection) on updates is doing the same thing as Nokia did, some apps arent working to well due to the uninstall prevention. I should have made a clean install. But overall my phone has become faster and generally more stable, except for a few apps.

Upvote 0
I recently upgraded my galaxy S SGH-T959V to gingerbread 2.3.6 from Froyo. It seems faster but does freeze sometimes. QUESTION: will rooting the phone erase the data? I'd like to be able to have super user rights to remove some of the apps I don't use or want but I don't think I need a custom ROM. I' m a bit nervous as I am a complete Linux novice and I don't want to cause myself aggravation.
No, rooting doesn't erase anything.

Upvote 0
Thanks Gmash. Can I use one click?
Sorry, I'm not sure about the rooting methods for your phone. You should check the "all things root" section in the sub forum for your phone. I see you have a Samsung Galaxy S, but I don't know which variant that is (or I would link you). Samsung phones are usually not difficult to root, though.

Upvote 0
Hello frnds, i m now using Galaxy Y which has gingerbread and i dnt know much about Froyo because im not used it much. But i want to say one thing, there is one problem in gingerbread like ..if we r in setting when we go up and down after last option if we pull the screen bad blur colored effect is showing while when i checked it in Froyo the menu pumps as a spring and come to position. I think gingerbread effect is too bad.

Upvote 0
Yeah I think this depends on what phone, to be honest. Imo Gingerbread looks great on something like, Desire HD or other thing with larger screen. I think it might be overkill on my Defy, though lot's of Defy owners have got CM7 or other rom.

I just like having neatly arranged icons across my homescreens. I prefer motoblur rom, but with widgets OTHER than the motoblur ones, which I find a little boring. I think animation is overkill on a smaller screen.

Upvote 0
I updated to GB, and am sorry I did. I have a tablet with the same Froyo as the phone had, and I much prefer it.

Since I run the phone as a PDA and Information service - all the new bells and whistles get ignored or frozen by TB. It is rooted and has been.

I thought that updating would make the phone more efficient. It probably does if you like entertainment and social media. I don't. So it didn't do anything for text, voice, or the apps I run.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones