1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root FroYo- widget problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by McLovlein13, Feb 18, 2011.

1. McLovlein13

McLovlein13 Android Enthusiast

running velocity 1.0, all widgets i downloaded without the market, for example bobclock, wont load. the app is installed and works but adding it as a widget doesnt work unless i uninstall and reinstall it. this only happens after i turn off usb storage...

Advertisement

2. yohobojo

yohobojo Android Enthusiast

Its because its on the sdcard. Just go to settings then applications, then manage. Then find it and press move to phone.

McLovlein13 likes this.
  3. McLovlein13

McLovlein13 Android Enthusiast

thanks yohobojo; is there a way to have widgets on the sd without that happening?

4. kyle5434

kyle5434 Member

No.

5. j2cool2012

j2cool2012 Android Enthusiast

Unfortunately, no. Everytime you tell the SD card to stop being read by the phone (Say, to mount it and use USB storage), the phone recognizes that that app is no longer there, and assumes it was deleted. So, as long as you use your SD card independently of your phone, it will always delete the widget.

6. yohobojo

yohobojo Android Enthusiast

Np.

7. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

Hey, you guys may have shed some light on an issue I am having. I put a shortcut to a spreadsheet file from my SD card onto the home screen in Launcher Pro. I have the file set to be opened with Docs to Go, and not ThinkFree Office. However, 3 times now the icon has 'suddenly' changed to a ThinkFree Office icon after accessing the sheet a few times from Docs to Go, and when that happens it will no longer open and gets reported as 'corrupt'. I have to replace the whole file with a backup copy to fix it every time.

Could this same issue possibly be affecting desktop shortcuts to files too, and not just widgets? I have Docs to Go moved to the SD card, and the file is on the SD card, but the shortcut being on the home screen might react the same way when I disconnect the SD from the phone during USB access?

Any information is welcome, because this had me stumped so far.

8. jmar

jmar Nexican

Based on your very detailed situation it is logical that the answer is yes. Use your Ally as storage and not your SD in this case.

If I am wrong, please respond with the correct solution, for I am human and prone to err.

9. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

I'll post here if the above turns out to be the cause, but I may have found a different cause entirely.

When I reloaded a backup copy of the spreadsheet and brought the data up to current entries, I noticed the row height of all the cells was too small to fully display the characters. This wasn't happening before, but I went back to the saved copy and applied 'optimal height' formatting to the rows. I then decided to pick a different font which is more compact for small display viewing, so chose Arial. At that point it came to mind 'what if Velocity was having an issue with the font I had been using'? Since Arial is pretty common I thought it would be another good reason to use it. I reloaded that edited file copy to the Ally.

So far so good. The sheet has been accessed several times since then and no problems yet. I'll connect the Ally to a PC later today for data transfer and then see if the file accesses OK after that.

10. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

One more piece to the puzzle came to my attention while testing things (mounting / unmounting USB - then accessing the shortcut). I had not thought to mention that after every time I mount/unmount the SD card by USB, on the first access to my spreadsheet file through its home screen shortcut, I have to once again set its file association with either Docs to Go or ThinkFree Office. So it is 'forgetting' its file association, probably for the same reasons your widget problem appeared.

I have not had the 'corrupt' file error yet, but if it happens again I guess I'll have to move Docs to Go back to the phone's internal memory.

11. AndroidKris

AndroidKris Android Enthusiast

Go into velocity scripts and uninstall ThinkFree...unless of course you use that for something else.

12. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I do like ThinkFree for some tasks. It is faster to open certain types of files than Docs to Go is. I often use it for viewing PDF files, a task in which it runs rings around Docs to Go. So I would not want to remove it.

So far today the icon HAS changed to the ThinkFree icon again (I had the USB cable attached to the Ally a couple times today to access the SD card's files). But I have not yet been unable to open the spreadsheet. I am wondering if the issue was a combination of both the font selection in the file, and mounting/un-mounting of the SD card. Time will tell.

Tags: