• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fruitcake: Yay or nay?

What do you think about fruitcake?

• Love/like it

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Hate/dislike it

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Use it as a doorstop

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Send it as a gag gift

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Never tried it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • People actually EAT that?!

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
fruitcake.jpg

Fruitcake. Do you love it? Hate it? Use it as a doorstop? Send it as a gift to your worst enemy? Actually EAT it? :eek:

Me: Can't stand it! Don't even know why it was ever invented. :hmmmm2:

Here both Xmas cakes and wedding cakes are traditionally fruit cakes that are made months in advance then given a liberal douse of brandy each week.

Does help to keep them from going off - with wedding cakes, the other tradition is that the top tier is kept for the christening of the first kid - in theory, at least 9 months later.

Personally, can't abide fruit cake .. but then I don't really like any cake :D

Upvote 0
I'd be a bit careful about that one. I believe that "fruitcake" is also derogatory and offensive slang, particularly in the States. In the same way that "******" is. A person seeing that on a T-shirt could take it the wrong way IMO.
In the US, fruitcake generally means just that, one of those awful concoctions of candied fruit in an otherwise perfectly nice cake. And I'm VERY sensitive to words that are used in a derogatory manner--the way '******ed' is now (I cringe every time I hear someone say, "that's ******ed!" With my big mouth, I usually speak right up and say, "well, no, actually it's NOT ******ed. :mad:")

Fruitcake is used in a funny insulting way, like "you're nuttier than a fruitcake! :)"

I know there are people who use the word as a derogatory jab at homosexuals, but they're in the very small minority. And shame on them. And I refuse to let them make this thread not about the awful concoction! :D

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones