• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Frustrated using the on-screen keyboard? Calibrate calibrate calibrate!

D

Deleted User

Ok, so it's in the tips sticky post, but seriously, do this:

Settings > Local & text > Touch Input > Text Input > Calibration Tool

I was finding it tricky to type accurately with the on-screen keyboard, but after calibrating, what a difference. Near-perfect typing every time now.

Do it!

I just think the Hero screen is slightly too small and makes typing a little difficult if you have large fingers. I came from an iPhone and it seemed to be easier. The Auto correct on the Hero is also not very good so I find I can't tyoe fluently and trust it not to leave rubbish behind as I go.

I totally disagree with you. The auto correct is absolutely amazing. It6 can guess the correct work when i pretty much don't hit any of the original keys..

Calibrate your keyboard, the Hero has one of the best auto corrects around trust me.

Upvote 0
I totally disagree with you. The auto correct is absolutely amazing. It6 can guess the correct work when i pretty much don't hit any of the original keys..

Calibrate your keyboard, the Hero has one of the best auto corrects around trust me.

I have calibrated my keyboard (many times) and still find it to be poor. We'll have to agree to disagree on the auto correction though.

Reactions: Laymen
Upvote 0
i dont understand why people keep complaining about the HERO. Granted it has some bugs/issues. But then again all phones do. Atleast the HERO gets many things right and the things which aren't can be easily solved.

People should be enjoying this gadget. There isn't a bug free perfect gadget out there, there really isn't. Enjoy your gadget :)

Upvote 0
I have calibrated my keyboard (many times) and still find it to be poor. We'll have to agree to disagree on the auto correction though.

I'll agree to disagree too! ;) I find it somehow seems to know what I want to say, even if i get half of the letters wrong. Maybe it's picking up my brainwaves, reading my mind, using the force or has a little green magic pixie inside. Either way, it works almost flawlessly for me...

Upvote 0
I liked the physical keyboard my old BB. I found it much easier and accurate. But I really hated how it took up half of what could have been screen and love the ability to touch the screen instead of using a trackball.

Maybe a slider would be the best of both worlds.

Upvote 0
I liked the physical keyboard my old BB. I found it much easier and accurate. But I really hated how it took up half of what could have been screen and love the ability to touch the screen instead of using a trackball.

Maybe a slider would be the best of both worlds.

I love my Blackberry Bold keyboard, i type a lot more accurately and faster on it but i just prefer the Hero for everything else. I guess in an ideal world i'd have something with the keyboard, build quality and messaging capabilities of Blackberry combined with a cybershot camera bolted on to a HTC android device (frankenfone?) :p

Upvote 0
I use better keyboard with the hero skin, works much better. I find if you lightly touch you get better accuracy. I agree though with the comment about the screen, its too small to type really fast and in landscape mode it its awkward to use.

I read up on better keyboard and thought it was not for the hero. they talk about hitting a key that we don't have in order to start it up. (123?) or something like that. What did I miss?
Pete

Upvote 0
Recalibrated the KB when i first got it, lol, not thinking that I was going to need to develope a method first...well...going in for another round.I'm more conerned with my phone randomly calling people in my pocket...hmmmand the lag on the keyboard goes when you turn of clicking and vib response??? YAY!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones