1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Frustrated with camera. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by angiembfl, Dec 4, 2013.

1. angiembfl

angiembfl Well-Known Member

So, the camera is kind of eh on the N4. I especially hate that the zoom is terrible. Even my husband's Evo V has better zoom. Are there any apps out there that will make it better? Or should I get a new phone (husband wants mine so I could make a case for that)? Is the camera better on the N5, or the Google versions of the HTC One or S4?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

I've found that if you're into photography you need to carry 2 devices with you - a cellphone and a camera. The cheapest $79 camera outperforms anything on a cellphone. A cellphone isn't a camera you can make phone calls on, it's a phone you can take snapshots with.

EVU likes this.
  3. ooberandy

ooberandy Android Enthusiast

The OP hasn't said they want a camera, they want a mobile phone with a better camera on it. The N4 camera is known for being average, so they are right to ask for alternatives if they are unhappy with the N4.

Here's a review of the One v S4 cameras.

And here's a youtube review of the N5 v S4

El Presidente, D-U-R-X and angiembfl like this.
  4. angiembfl

Thank you ooberandy, I'll check those out. And thank you for understanding my question. I think that's the first time I've ever gotten a smarty pants response on these forums. :-(

It's the focus on zoom that really is the problem. I'm going to try out some apps and check out your links. There's just so many options i was hoping someone could save me some time. :) Thanks again.

5. EVU

EVU Well-Known Member

I didn't think Rukbat's was a snarky comment. It's the truth.
    Even will a regular full size camera - the digital zoom isn't all that effective either.
    No camera phone is perfect. The vaunted iPhone's camera has issues like the N4, N5 or One, when there is a shadow on your subject matter in broad daylight.

You buy the smartphone for the most features you can afford recognizing the camera on all of them is subpar vs. a full size camera.

6. ooberandy

The op at no point made a reference to wanting their phone to be as good as a camera. The only thing they want is for a better one than the nexus 4, which all of the phones mentioned do have. All they want is for some help in choosing the best one, without any reference to buying a camera.

7. EVU

EVU Well-Known Member

Dropping $350-$500 more for a fone with a limited camera is not the smart play.
    The proper response has always been if you need a better camera - carry a camera not wishing your phone was a better camera.

8. ooberandy

Maybe try understanding the op point of view, rather than spouting off your own agenda.

It is not the proper response to ignore someone's perfectly sensible question - which of these phones has the best camera.

There has been no mention of how the phone is intended to be used as a camera, but you eagerly jump in saying to buy a camera. Why even bother to have a camera on a phone with an attitude like that.

9. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

I think we've established what angiembfl is looking for, so lets move on please. :)

I've found Camera Zoom FX or Pro Capture pretty good alternative camera apps and whilst not amazing, they do offer slight improvements and a few more options than the stock camera app on the N4.

Mehta23, mikedt and D-U-R-X like this.
  10. ooberandy

Will the improvements in 4.4.1 make it to the nexus 4?

11. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

12. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

D'you know, I'd never even considered using the zoom feature. As it's digital zoom, I always though you might as well take the picture without zooming then crop / expand it.

13. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

Yes, and of course it gives you far more options to get the composition right :)

There's not really any advantage to digital zoom and lots of disadvantages compared with cropping later.

14. angiembfl

Well duh. Thanks. I don't know why I never thought of the fact that when you crop you can expand it. I tried it and that helped a lot.
    I blame it on my mommy brain.
    Thanks again.

15. angiembfl

Thanks for the recs. I haven't tried Camera Zoom FX yet, but really like ProCapture. The app tips are something I was looking for.

Also, I did mention that my husband wants my N4 so there is justification to buy a new phone. I'm not just buying one for a better camera. I don't have that kind of play money. :). The rec of capture then crop along with the apps mentioned are exactly what I was looking for though.

Thanks. You guys always helpful!

Nexus 4 Forum

The Nexus 4 release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2100mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews