1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Frustrated with ROOT!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by toothneck, Jul 25, 2012.

1. toothneck

toothneck Newbie

I just got this new htc evo design 4g phone. I have been reading the forums here and I have tried the evilkingdom hboot solution and I am getting nowhere. I tried unlocking the bootloader from htc dev and it just says waiting for device, I get no identifier token. I rooted both my previous samsung phones myself so I do have some experience but this is frustrating as all hell. I need to know: Step 1 to rooting this phone! then I am sure I can get the rest but so far nothing is working for me. Thanks in advance for any help!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kevindroid

kevindroid Android Expert

the very first step is to unlock the bootloader with the htc dev site. prep yourself with vm roms forum there is an excellent tutorial there. she will carry you from unlock to rom if thats your goal. you can just root if thats your desire

3. toothneck

toothneck Newbie

ok, i appreciate the reply but that was extremely vague. As I said, I tried the htc dev site already and I had issues. vm roms forum? can i just please get some help here?

4. Rally 517

Rally 517 Android Expert

DOWNLOAD HTC SYNC I had same prob

5. guyphs

guyphs Android Enthusiast

You're going to have to unlock the bootloader first or else you won't be able to root at all. In order to do that, you have to get adb set up on your computer. Make sure that you've installed the sdk and also the HTC drivers (which I believe are installed when you install HTC Sync). Then try to establish a connection with adb. If you're trying to establish a connection with your phone on, make sure USB debugging is turned on. When you actually go to unlock the bootloader, pull the battery, put it back in, hold vol - and power until you get into hboot. connect usb then hit fastboot, then you should be able to get your token from htcdev and unlock the bootloader.

6. fct8306

fct8306 Newbie

Dont give up :). It took me three days to root my Motorolla Triumph, once I got it done its been great. Hang in there :p

7. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love

Moved to "all things root" section of this forum.

8. Jaay Dogg

Jaay Dogg Android Expert

If you still need help rooting & unlocking the bootloader I can get you through the process rather quickly, I've got SDK, ADB, & Fastboot.exe all in one handy little zip for unlocking your bootloader. Let me know if you need help still.

9. jjhelpteam

jjhelpteam Member

I had the same problem as you did if your using windows 8 preview it won't work the way I got mine to work was that I went on a computer with windows XP and it worked then I installed windows vista on my laptop and was able to continue on my laptop what OS are you running?

10. toothneck

toothneck Newbie

I'm using win 7 enterprise. I tried everything and still nothing...

11. jjhelpteam

jjhelpteam Member

Do you by any chance have a friend that has a PC with windows xp or vista? if so you might wanna try on their PC.

toothneck likes this.
  12. durak

durak Member

make sure you have all that junk that's required for it to work installed, .net framework, android tools, etc..

website is very clunky, took me a few tries to get it working myself.

13. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

It should work fine with Win 7, I've unlocked 4 different HTC devices at htcdev using it, as to the op , like was mentioned earlier check out vmroms.com. There is a great tutorial explaining the whole process and what's required. Good luck dude.

14. Jaay Dogg

Jaay Dogg Android Expert

Do you have ADB working on your PC? If not then we might have to set up your environmental variables to set a path for adb. I'm using windows 7 as well

15. toothneck

toothneck Newbie

Progress, sort of. I did everything I did before except this time on an xp machine and it worked(unlocked bootloader).

16. Jaay Dogg

Jaay Dogg Android Expert

So your good ?

17. toothneck

toothneck Newbie

Geez this has been a headache. Yeah I flashed Evilkingdom and have root. But wireless tether, which was my ultimate goal, is still not working at all. One problem after another so far with this phone. Thanks for all your help getting me this far!

18. Jaay Dogg

Jaay Dogg Android Expert

You this one it works great just change the profile to ics generic & turn on mss clamping & routing then you should be good

Link http://db.tt/ASDGsHrT

19. toothneck

toothneck Newbie

UPDATE:
    I got everything working finally and it's super fast. Tethering on 4g with og wireless tether thanks to tips from another thread here. Happy! Thanks so much to all of you guys for helping me through this journey! If you are a fan of black metal hit me up, I'm in a band from L.A. called Ritual. I'll send ya some mp3s!

20. jjhelpteam

jjhelpteam Member

I have windows 8 on my laptop and wasnt able to unlock my bootloader until i went on a PC with windows xp

21. TylerHunn

TylerHunn Lurker

m a Total l newbie to this. Had the same problem with the evo 4g.Was on htc dev site for unlock bootloader. I picked all other devices supported in the devices list, also I tried exact steps in the evo 4g+ korea telecom one in the devices list. I downloaded all the required files and installed sdk manager and htc sync. I updated the tools in sdk manager so i could access the files i needed like fastboot.exe and the other three. Followed all the direction on the htc dev unlock bootloader instructions. I opened command prompt I did cd c:\android, then id type fastboot oem get_identifier_token in command prompt. It would say "waiting for device" forever. trust me i waited. I went in every forum looking for an answer. Ive tried so much stuff. I redid drivers like 4 or 5 times. then back to the original, tried downloading pdanet for its drivers, didn't work
    then i learned other commands like adb devices to type in command prompt. so it would say list of devices but nothing would ever show up. So I did more searching and some said remove htc sync and re install. so I did that and then after I'd type adb devices in command prompt and it showed my device. I was excited because I had been at it for hours. so I typed in command adb reboot bootloader and my phone shut of and loaded in the bootloader screen. my computer beeps and says htc boot loader interface under android in device manager. so I type command CD c:\android, then type fastboot oem get_identifier_token. It still says waiting on device for ever again. Restarted both the phone and the pc. did some more research
    and tried other commands in command prompt while on the bootloader interface thing like adb kill-server, and a bunch more i was at it for over an hour trying to figure this out. I decided to delete and redo everything and still didnt work. im so pissed by now. i spent 12 hours messing with this in two days.i went to sleep. yesterday i thought why dont i try it on my girlfriends win 7 laptop. btw i was using win xp home edition sp3 on an old skinny gateway pentium 4. dont know if it matters. but an old computer.. So i reinstalled everything on her computer. sdk, platform tools, htc sync, all of it.. drivers downloaded automatically and one difference i did notice that when installing htc sync. on my xp computer it always said error installing driver.3.0.0 ### a dont know exactly but it stared with that.. this time on the windows 7 computer it didnt. everything worked fine. i made sur3e my three files were in the folder i made called android. under C:\android. i opened command prompt with my phone i=on charge only with usb debugging on and fastboot turned off( the one in applications ).. II typed in cd c:\android
    adb reboot bootloader
    phone shuts down and goes into bootloader mode\usb
    then fastboot oem get_identifier_token.
    it pops up in like the blink of an eye.
    I right clicked it and copied it then restarted my phone since this whole time the only way I have internet is through easy tether. I wait for it to load then went back to where you copy the token into. it sent me an email with a file as an attachment. I put that into the android folder I created under c:\android.. Vlc media player was reading it as a video file or something but i put it in the folder anyway. it was called unlock_code.bin. Now i go to command prompt and type in fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin. now it does its thing and my phone restarts. takes a lil longer than normal but its ok. only bad part was the phone goes back to how it was when i first bought it. everything is still on my memory card though so its ok. I then rooted it and put mikg rom on it. but that was the easy part. kinda cool watching it change. I feel like I got a new phone. and my wifi unlocked. so hope this helps.

HTC EVO Design Forum

The HTC EVO Design release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1520mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews