• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Frustrated with Rooting Nexus S 4G

megamouth

Lurker
May 25, 2011
I am trying to root my Nexus S 4G, and am extremely nervous about bricking it, and the guides I have been seeing are frustrating me. I am very new to this whole process and the guides I keep finding are unhelpful.

I downloaded the Android SDK and used the command prompt to make sure a device is listed. The next step in the guide is to mount the SD card as a disk drive, ALL guides say to do this but the NS4G doesn't have an SD card, so what the f. I assumed that the alternative is to make it a Removable Disk by turning USB Storage on in the settings of the phone, and it showed up on the computer as Removable DiskF.

Then the guide says to copy superuser.zip to the SD card root. Once again, no SD card here, so where do I put it? I assumed once again and decided to just copy it into Removable Disk F and not any folder inside F.

After this, the guide says to open the command prompt in the tools folder of the Android SDK, and unlock the bootloader by typing "fastboot devices" and then "fastboot oem unlock". However, when I type "fastboot devices" nothing happened, so then I typed "fastboot oem unlock" and it said <waiting for device> or something like that. This is where I gave up.

What am I supposed to do, and did I do anything wrong? Please help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Deleted User

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones