1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Frustrating Call to CS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TDOW, Aug 5, 2013.

1. TDOW

TDOW Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2013
    I am currently on the phone to Virgin's CS line about the bad GPS on my EVO. I love this phone, except for the GPS. Every person I have talked to starts out asking what my problem with connecting to the internet is. GPS, not INTERNET...gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

The last agent told me that they are out of EVOs but that I would get my phone in 3-5 days. Which led me to ask which it was, either they have the phones or they do not. "I don't think you understood what I said because of my accent" was the response. I have already factory reset the phone a few times and still have no decent GPS.

Sorry I am whining.

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Hello tdow. Was the GPS ever functioning as it should be? Are you ok with a factory data reset?

Virgin Mobile's version of that device doesn't use a SIM card, as far as I know, so the "pull and replace the SIM card remedy" obviously won't work. ;)

But the hard reset could wash out the issue. It seems like it'd be worth a try.

Here's an instructive, step-by-step video on performing the reset on that device:

Hard Reset HTC EVO 4G PG86100 Virgin Mobile - YouTube

3. TDOW

TDOW Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2013
    I have done a reset a few times. No joy.

4. TDOW

TDOW Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2013
    Is there an email address I can use to get in contact with customer service?

5. aml1025

aml1025 Android Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN

You can either use the "Contact Me" link on their website, or reach out to the Social Media Team - "saveme@thevirginangels.com"

TDOW likes this.
  6. TDOW

TDOW Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2013
    Remember how I called customer service yesterday. I was on the phone with two different people for over an hour. And they told me they had no EVOs left? The Fedex guy just showed up and I have an EVO (Sprint branded front, Virgin Back LOL). Now to reload everything.

7. m-cman

m-cman Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 27, 2011
    Male
    Dallas
    The GPS on my EVO V has never worked well. It either doesn't connect or takes forever. Once it does connect it works ok. My Olympus V was much better. It connected in all ways better than the EVO. Think the hardware was better. :thinking:

8. TDOW

TDOW Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2013

I have heard that some people have a good GPS on their EVOs and others don't I have not tried it on the replacement yet. (Still a lot of tweaking to do to make the phone "mine").

9. BmXStuD

BmXStuD Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 19, 2013
    GPS is broke on my phone also, but im too lazy to call them and get transferred to 1513523 agents who dont know crap but whats on the Pc screen.

They all talk with accents (not a issue really) and dont understand a word your saying (the issue). So frustrating i dont even bother to call. I use a normal car GPS when i need to drive to a new place. Otherwise my EVO is fine.

I just use my phone for internet on the go and maybe 1 or 2 phone calls. The GPs is accurate enough for most apps like google place.. just not for driving directions.

10. TDOW

TDOW Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2013

So far this new EVO has a MUCH better GPS than the last one. I had a great GPS on the Optimus V so I know phones are capable of getting a good GPS and Navigation.

The only time so far that the GPS on the replacement phone is iffy is when the phone is charging. and even then it is still better than the phone it replaced. I am much happier.

11. m-cman

m-cman Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 27, 2011
    Male
    Dallas

So it seems to be an HTC quality control issue? Any chance there were system upgrades in your area in the phone swap time frame?

12. TDOW

TDOW Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2013
    No system upgrades that I am aware of. I called them on Monday and the old phone had a bouncing location, and the closest it got to my actual location was about a mile away. And the next day I had the replacement phone and with pretty good reliability (even if it takes 20 seconds or so) it is able to pinpoint where I am on the map.

13. yoitzbob

yoitzbob Lurker
    None

Nov 21, 2012
    you should get the gas buddy app. Run the app and it will instantly pick up the gps for you. Then use the maps/nav app. Works perfectly for me.

14. TDOW

TDOW Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2013
    I had Gas Buddy on the other phone. I still could not get a decent GPS fix. The replacement is far and away better with GPS than the old phone.

I had six different GPS booster apps on the old phone and zero on this one. GPS fires right up correctly. Woohoo.

15. ragnarkar

ragnarkar Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Southern California
    My original Evo 3D (from Sept last year) has major GPS problems.. often they required a restart to fix.

I got a replacement in May for unrelated reasons.. this one's GPS still sometimes freezes but it never required a restart (sometimes all it takes it turning the GPS off and back on again.)

16. masterchief3k

masterchief3k Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 30, 2013
    Yet the GPS on mine somehow magically works in a walk in closet in my house..

Tags: