• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Frustrating recovery issue.

Kaleb Randleaxe

Android Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2010
Michigan
So, I flashed from TBH .596 deodexed to Apex 2.0. No problem. Flashed a theme and it sent me into a bootloop. No problem, I say. Just gotta go wipe and I'm all good.

Problem 1: Nothing I did got me into clockwork recovery. I tried pulling the battery, leaving it out for several minutes, and then putting it back in. I tried attaching to the charger with the battery out, unattaching, and then putting the battery back in and booting. So, I figured I'd just try stock recovery.

Problem 2: That wasn't working either. I held home + power, waited for the "M," and let go of power, and all it did was go to a black screen for about 2 seconds and then power off. If I kept holding it down, the M came back, and it repeats this loop until I let go (basically, it's failing to enter recovery and then rebooting).

As a last resort, I SBF'd back to 2.3.340, rooted, and flashed clockwork mod. No problems there. Installed the 2 part upgrade, no problems there. Flashed the .596 deodexed. No problems there. Flashed Apex again, and I'm back to not being able to access either recovery.

I do NOT want to SBF again. If I have to, then I guess that's tough shit, but I want to confirm that that's my only option at this point. Am I doing something wrong or overlooking something simple? I've spent half the day without my phone now and I'd rather not spend a few more hours repeating all of this.

EDIT: And, wouldn't you know it, I forgot to click "All Things Root" and posted this in the wrong forum. Uggggh.

Moved it to the root section.

If you need help with this, you'll find it here. :D
Thanks mate. Just SBF'd and rooted, about to upgrade to .596 via 2-part. I'm going to ahead and assume a user error is causing my problems, so I'm going very slowly and following correct protocol to a tee. I appreciate your assistance. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks mate. Just SBF'd and rooted, about to upgrade to .596 via 2-part. I'm going to ahead and assume a user error is causing my problems, so I'm going very slowly and following correct protocol to a tee. I appreciate your assistance. :)

Don't forget that the two part version is odexed, so you will have to deodex if you plan on applying themes or mods.

Upvote 0
ugh so after reading this is there any way to acsess stock recovery to wipe
If you are having the same issues as I was, then I'm afraid not. SBFing is a pretty painless process using the Linux boot CD method, and upgrading back to .596 is as easy as flashing 2 .zips. All in all it took me maybe an hour, including gathering all of the necessary files.

Upvote 0
A brief step-by-step would be something like this. I am not sure of your knowledge on the process, and I don't intend to insult you by telling you things you may already know, but I thought it'd be good to type this up in case others come by seeking the same sort of help.

1) Obtain necessary files (.340 sbf file floating around various places, the two .zips necessary to ugprade to .596 [File Part 1 and File Part 2], z4root.apk from wherever [it's everywhere], and the Linux boot CD .iso found in a thread in this forum [link below]). Avoid maderstock when looking for the .sbf file. There are also links in the stickies here to the correct SBF file, as well as all of the other necessary files. You may need to Google z4root for the .apk to install it. First result should be an xda-developers thread with a download link.

2) Follow directions in this thread to create Linux live boot CD. (The .iso is also there).

3) Follow directions to boot into the CD. It'll prompt you to boot from the CD. Do so. It'll do some work (don't worry, it may take just a bit and you'll see lots of yellow dots). You'll eventually end up on a screen with two options. One is "Yes, my phone is connected and in bootloader mode." Let it sit there for just a second.

4) Put X into bootloader by holding camera, volume down, and power. I think you can also just hold both volume and power buttons, which is easier.

5) Plug your phone (while in bootloader) into the computer via USB.

6) On the computer, select the previously mentioned option to flash your phone.

7) When it's done, it will reboot. It's now okay to unplug your phone. If it boots normally, great. Move on to number 8. If not, do this this:

If it boots into a bootloop, you'll need to wipe data/cache. To do so, pull your battery and put it back in. Start phone holding power and home. Keep holding until you get to a screen with a Droid and a triangle. Hit search to bring up the menu. Navigate using volume buttons, select options using camera button.

8) Go through the setup process on your clean Froyo install. Place z4root on your SD card (if you haven't already) and install it. Let it do its thing and root your phone. It'll reboot your phone.

9) Upon booting up again, check your app drawer for the app "Superuser." If it's present, your phone is now rooted. Hooray.

10) Download ROM Manager. Flash Clockworkmod Recovery for good measure.

11) Download Droid X Bootstrapper. People prefer to instruct you to use Droid 2 Bootstrapper, but the one for the X will work as long as you don't have USB Debugging mode enabled. By default, you shouldn't. Check anyways.

12) Place the two .596 files, downloaded previously, onto your SD card.

13) Open Droid X (or 2) Bootstrapper. Hit "Bootstrap Recovery." It'll says "Success!" Then his "Reboot Recovery."

14) You'll boot into clockworkmod. Use the navigation buttons mentioned above for the stock recovery to get around. Wipe data/cache. Then follow the navigation to "Install .zip from SD card."

15) Locate the two-part .zips and install them. Obviously, install Part 1 first and Part 2 second. When this has completed (they will both take some time, don't worry), select the option to reboot.

16) At this point, you'll hopefully boot into Gingerbread .596. If you plan on staying with the stock theme/ROM, you're done! If not, keep going:

17) Download the .596 Deodexed .zip from the same thread you got the Part 1 and Part 2 .zips at. Put it on your SD card.

18) Again boot into clockworkmod with the instructions above. Follow the same instructions to install this .zip. Once done, select the option to reboot again.

19) At this point, you should boot into .596 Deodexed! You won't notice any immediate changes, but just to make sure, download a file exploring app that lets you look into your system files (Root Explorer is good, although not free-- there are free alternatives).

20) Navigate to system/apps/. You should see only a bunch of .apks. If every .apk is accompanied by a .odex with the same name, you (by some miracle) are still not deodexed. If there are not any .odex files there, you're done!

Reactions: Nightwind Hawk
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones