1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root FT3 + Android 3, "root and rom"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wamarler, Mar 20, 2011.

1. wamarler

wamarler Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Hey all,

New to the Android community (as you can see from my post count ;-). However, not new to the Linux scene or compiling a kernel from scratch. I can definitely RTFM and play with things to figure them out.

It seems to be fairly common that people root their Android devices, install a ROM manager, and install custom ROMs to customize and improve performance / expand the capabilities of their devices. That's exactly what I was thinking of here; Android 3 seems to be designed with tablets in mind. How does one go about installing it on an FT3? My guess would be to create a custom ROM with Android 3 as the OS, then flash that onto the FT3. I've found some guides for creating custom ROMs for HTC devices, but is there a more generic method?

Or is upgrading the OS on the device more complicated than this, and not really something users are intended to be able to do?

Thanks!

wam

Advertisement

2. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Ok, we have the rooting part down, just not the ROM'ing. The problem is that the manufacturer(s) use a custom/non-standard recovery partition. This is the crux of being able to apply a custom ROM. Being able to utilize a custom recovery program such as clockworkmod or SPRecovery to dump/change ROMs. People have been using burntool with the FT2 and I'm hoping to have similar success with the FT3. I've been trying to get the manufacturer to give us more info on this with little/no success. So if you find out anything then please share with the group

3. wamarler

wamarler Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Hmmm, ok, thanks for the advice. I'll share if (when?) I get anywhere, and in the meantime, I'll look for the success stories of people messing with FT2 ROMs, to understand how it's done a bit better.