1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Full android backup

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mr_Cohen, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Mr_Cohen

Mr_Cohen Lurker

Hey All,
    I hope that i'm asking this at the right area of the Forum.
    There is any way to export a full OS backup (image) from one android device to another (like Acronis, Ghost, etc).
    I was researching, but didn't find any tool that backup the entire OS to a big image file.

P.S: the issue is, that i don't want to backup the apps or something like that.
    I want to take a full backup from offline mode.

Leon Marco likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

This would only work if the devices were EXACTLY the same make model and configuration. And you'd have to have root and custom recovery installed on both.

If the devices are even slightly different it could brick them.

steve, Mikestony and tube517 like this.
  3. Mr_Cohen

Mr_Cohen Lurker

Hey,
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Yes, they are the same (exactly the same model).
    There is any tool that i can take a full backup (image) from offline mode?

4. lunatic59

Same memory, too? Same hardware versions? It could be tricky.

if root is possible you need to root both and install TWRP. Then you take a full nandroid backup on the source phone (which is an image of all existing partitions) and then copy the backup to the destination device and restore it.

If I may ask, why do you want a complete image? With a decent backup plan restoration to the new device would be less hassle and you'd by 99 44/100% restored.

tube517 likes this.
  5. Mr_Cohen

Mr_Cohen Lurker

Yep, same same.
    I'm gonna buy about 200 units of the same device that runs Nougat, and i want to make some changes in one device, and deploy it to the rest of them.
    From your point of view, what is the best way to do that?

Thanks again !!! :)

6. lunatic59

If you are going to deploy them like POS displays and intend to have them all registered to the play store using the same account, I think there are actually management systems to do that that would make future updates and management easier, although I don't know specifically what they are.

I don't think rooting is a practical solution for deploying a large number of devices and it certainly isn't secure.

7. Mr_Cohen

Mr_Cohen Lurker

Ummm, actually, i'm gonna buy those 200 units for our support group at the filed.
    But yeah, they must be registered to the play store in the end of the day, (which is the easy part of the plan).

I just need to find a way, to take a full OS backup in offline mode or something like that, like acronis OR ghost (if there is such a thing in the android world).

8. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

What are the changes you need to make?

9. Mr_Cohen

Mr_Cohen Lurker

Let's say that i want to remove some build-in apps, and install an app that my company wrote.
    Nevertheless, i want to make some changes at the device settings.

10. lunatic59

If you are removing system apps and adding your own, then you'll definitely need root.

If root isn't readily available for these devices, then this whole discussion may be moot, unless the manufacturer is willing to work with you in modifying the stock ROM for you. If I may ask, which devices are we talking about?

11. Mr_Cohen

Mr_Cohen Lurker

Of course.
    We are talking about Tecno Droipad 7D 7inch.

12. lunatic59

I can see three problems right away.

First, off brand devices generally don't have a huge development community so custom recoveries might not be readily available. You'll need TWRP to create the image from the base unit and then you'll also need it on the others to deploy the nandroid (the backup image).

Second, these things ship with Android 7 (Nougat) which means its going to be harder to root, if you can root at all.

Finally, the process to flash the stock rom should something go wrong may not be freely distributed by the manufacturer.

Do you have one to play with? I'd recommend testing before you commit to anything large scale.

Deleted User likes this.
  13. Mr_Cohen

Mr_Cohen Lurker

Thank you very much! i really appreciate that man.
    Yes, i will get 2 of these devices next week for sure, and i will play with them.
    I will keep you posted soon :)

Thanks!!! U R the best !! :)