• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Full backups for Non-root PC and Mac...

jimweda

Aug 16, 2011
I just ran into this new app and have been testing it for two days now. It is called Airdroid and is free at the Market:

https://market.android.com/details?...t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5zYW5kLmFpcmRyb2lkIl0.

No need for cable, only wifi connection and it works great. Even let me back up system files, SD card files/apps and some other things. Great "NonNandroid" back up for not rooted phones and its pretty fast. All you need is the app and a web browser and you can import/export/delete etc. This is first app for this that works fantastic. I'm giving it a 5 star since it works with both PC and Mac and is pretty fast. Just thought I'd let others know since its a new app.

Everyone once in awhile my web browser will force close on my Mac but not that often. If you have trouble with getting your computer to see your phone on the PC or Mac definitely give this one a shot. It has never failed to show up on my computer and the app itself has never force closed, it was my browser on my Mac. I might test it out on Firefox or another browser instead of Safari and see if it works even better. If you don't like it and you don't feel its worth it, I will double your money back! Yes! That's right I will give you double "Free" no questions asked!

Jim

P.S. I just noticed if you hit the menu button when you open the app it has "Tether and HotSpot Mode". I haven't played with that yet to see if it does anything. I'm also feeling kind of lonely, would someone who finds this app a 5 star rating give me a "Thanks". I only have two and 3 times the charm. hehe

Reactions: syncor
One thing to note, it says it will back up your apps. As far as I know, unless you are rooted, any app that backups up an app will not back up the Market Link. That means if you restore it, it will not show up in the "My Apps' section of the Market, meaning you won't get updates for it.

Have you been able to test the above scenario?

Upvote 0
One thing to note, it says it will back up your apps. As far as I know, unless you are rooted, any app that backups up an app will not back up the Market Link. That means if you restore it, it will not show up in the "My Apps' section of the Market, meaning you won't get updates for it.

Have you been able to test the above scenario?

Unfortunately I didn't find this new app until after I had reinstalled most of my apps from my SD card. But I have in the past taken an apk from my Mac and put it in my Dropbox app, clicked on it and installed it. I have been able to update my app with the exception of I had originally downloaded it from another source like Amazon or GetJar. That's the only issue I've had with not being able to update through the Market.

I am actually surprised more people haven't been praising or at least talking about this new app as far as the non rooted phones. I'd love to root my phone and being able to do a nandroid backup was a big reason but being on Mac and having a Desktop PC without a Windows System Disc to get it up and running it's always been hit and miss with getting my Mac to recognize my phone and backing up some files. This app surprisingly allowed me to back up some system software. There's even a "systems" tab in the program. I'm seriously giving kudos to the developers of this app and, for FREE! That's hard to beat. I'm hoping I will find a way to get my PC up and running soon because I still want to enjoy the freedom of the root users have. Until then, I'll just have to enjoy the GB update and a more stable phone.

Jim

Upvote 0
I just ran into this new app and have been testing it for two days now. It is called Airdroid and is free at the Market:

https://market.android.com/details?...t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5zYW5kLmFpcmRyb2lkIl0.

No need for cable, only wifi connection and it works great. Even let me back up system files, SD card files/apps and some other things. Great "NonNandroid" back up for not rooted phones and its pretty fast. All you need is the app and a web browser and you can import/export/delete etc. This is first app for this that works fantastic. I'm giving it a 5 star since it works with both PC and Mac and is pretty fast. Just thought I'd let others know since its a new app.

Everyone once in awhile my web browser will force close on my Mac but not that often. If you have trouble with getting your computer to see your phone on the PC or Mac definitely give this one a shot. It has never failed to show up on my computer and the app itself has never force closed, it was my browser on my Mac. I might test it out on Firefox or another browser instead of Safari and see if it works even better. If you don't like it and you don't feel its worth it, I will double your money back! Yes! That's right I will give you double "Free" no questions asked!

Jim

P.S. I just noticed if you hit the menu button when you open the app it has "Tether and HotSpot Mode". I haven't played with that yet to see if it does anything. I'm also feeling kind of lonely, would someone who finds this app a 5 star rating give me a "Thanks". I only have two and 3 times the charm. hehe

have been using AirDroid for over a month now. a very useful and very well designed app. And ,yes it's free :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones