• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FULL/COMPLETE backup?

Veronykah

Oct 14, 2010
I shattered my screen and have to get a new Moto X and want to backup my phone before sending it back.
Question is, all backup apps seem to backup things like texts and photos, is there a way to backup the ENTIRE phone, sort of like a time machine backup for mac?
As in, can I backup a file of my phone and load it on a new one and everything will be the exact same as the old one?
It's just such a pain to have to change all the fonts, prefs, re-install all the apps and all the other random things you keep finding aren't there after a backup.

Is this a crazy wish?

There are apps that let you transfer pretty much all your personal data from one phone to another but as far as I'm aware exactly duping one phone to another phone isn't possible in consumer circles. (Cops can and do 'clone' phones of people but technically they're not duping a phone to a phone, they do it with pricey, as in our tax dollars, forensic devices that can clone a phone to the device's storage media.) Anyway, take a look at apps like 'CLONEit' or 'Phone Copier', hopefully one of them will take care of enough of what you're hoping for.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lenovo.anyshare.cloneit

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.compelson.migrator

It's not a crazy wish but it is a little unrealistic. Your wish for a similar utility like Apple's Time Machine to be available for Android is probably never going to happen. Apple is a relatively closed platform where it has control of what components make up their computer hardware, along with fact that OS X is maintained by Apple developers. Those two aspects allow Time Machine to make it easy to transfer your account from one Mac to a different model Mac running a different version of OS X. Apple has control over the variables involved. Android on the other hand is a more open platform, where the Android operating system is by design crafted to run on a much wider range of hardware, phones with internal parts from any number of sources. P lus the phone carriers are free to add to (or as many conclude, mess up) Android's user interface to suit their own purposes. So transferring one Android setup to another Android involves a complicated mix and match of hardware and software.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones