• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Full Internet Access App Permission

Hi all

My apologies for this thread also being in the Android Lounge as well.

I have a couple of questions and thought this might be the right place to
come for some help.:)

I paid for and downloaded and installed a app from Android Market which is used to check what permissions each app has that is installed on my Android device it is called Doctor Permission.

The app has just one permission it's self being the following-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NETWORK COMMUNICATION
FULL INTERNET ACCESS
Allows an application to create network sockets.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could a app with just this one permission like Full Internet Access cause any real harm to my device ?

Or does it require other permissions like read contact info or system logs etc to possibly become a problem app.?

Could it require the internet connection because of license checking.?

Cheers
:)

Network sockets are a pretty common way for apps to communicate with one another - however - I would visit the Market to get the contact info, and write the dev to see what they say about it.

Check the sticky thread in this forum, but I think you'll find that with that permission, the app may go out on the net - or simply use network services within the operating system.

Hope this helps! :)

Upvote 0
Hi smithbradoid,

Welcome to the forums!

I got a similar question via email I keep meaning to reply to, but it keeps slipping my mind. Many apologies if that was you, I was super busy recently working on the update for my own permissions app. :D

Nevertheless to say, this is definitely the right place to ask about permissions and apps :)

I generally wouldn't worry about that if it is the only permission. Especially if the app is advertising-supported. However, it's always good to be cautious!

In the end it's a bit of a judgment call.

What I like to tell people is that it's all about context. Is the app a game of checkers asking to read your browser history? Those two things together are a red flag.

Anyways, feel free to check out my guide:

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

Or my App:

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

hope that helps!

Reactions: smithbradoid
Upvote 0
Thanks EarlyMon and alostpacket for your replies.:)

Many thanks for you information and advice on Full Internet Access app permissions.

It truly is a matter of being cautious and thinking about what permissions are
are being asked of the user before downloading and installing apps.

And thanks to alostpacket for your great Android App Pocket Permissions i find it to be very useful.:)

Cheers :)

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones