• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Full list of apps and apks that are removable and non-removable with root (Pre-Gingerbread)

I really want to remove all the blur junk like jadambpharm has in the list. (Nice BTW!) But i've read on other droid forums that it is not at all recommended, but if i'm using another launcher and none of the blur programs....should be fine i'm thinking.

Are there any blur apks that anyone has experience problems after removing?

Also you can remove the browser.apk if you want to install a 3rd party browser. I'm a big fan of the Dolphin HD browser. Any other recommendation? Opera? Skyfire? Firefox is developing one as well.

How does one perform the factory reset?

Upvote 0
Browser.apk should *ok* to remove if you have another browser installed. The only reason I left it on the do not remove is simply for stability. If an app or something makes a call for the stock android browser (instead of Opera or whatever you have installed), who knows what might happen.

I'm not touching Blur with the way Motorola has integrated it with the OS. I've read some people have had success.

Factory Reset:

1. From any homescreen of your phone, tap the Menu hard key.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Scroll down and tap Privacy.
  4. Scroll down and tap Factory Data Reset.
  5. Tap Reset Phone, confirm to execute.

Reactions: jasonlavon
Upvote 0
Guys,
I can't seem to get the Kindle, and social networking apps to uninstall. any ideas?
Regards

for me I'm using root explorer, for social networking, under settings and app, rename app friendfeed.apk to something else (I added .bak to simply remove it from the launcher) thanks to Airmaxx23 for giving me that bit of info :)
I don't have kindle, I don't know about it sorry.

Upvote 0
Your holding it wrong....oh wait i think i just made a huge PR blunder. :)

I would guess you need to tell it you have read/write access.

I renamed everything via the adb shell (command line)
"androidsdk" directory is where ever you installed the sdk

C:\androidsdk\tools\adb shell

$su
#mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
#
#mv NewsWidget.apk NewsWidget.bak
#mv PhotoWidget.apk PhotoWidget.bak
#mv redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk redding-7648-signed-zipped.bak
#mv SocialMessaging.apk SocialMessaging.bak

shortened list of what i renamed.

the "mount" command is what i think your missing, before i did that i got he same error your seeing.

Their entries still sort of show up in the applications list. but they are not in the app drawer anymore. no kindle and etc.

Upvote 0
Soo hey... Does anyone have all the files backed up/saved on their computer? If so would someone mind sharing the voicemail apk with me? :)

I used Titanium Backup to remove some files, and wanted to reinstall that one file, but Titanium only backed up the information and isn't installing the file correctly... PM me if you have it. I'd appreciate it.

Edit: I believe it was the visual voicemail apk

Upvote 0
In anticipation of 2.2, I've read that not having some of the bloatware may brick our phones once we update. How do I reinstall the apps I deleted? I've downloaded the zip file with all the apps from the link in the 1st post, but more specifically how do I get them installed back on my phone?
Ayuda por favor?

Upvote 0
I'm having an internal debate about this. If we're getting Froyo in a month, why bother renaming apps until we have Froyo? For me, it just seems like a hassle.

One question: If I do rename apps when I get Froyo, can't I just do it through my PC? I mean can't I just connect up my phone, select "show file extensions" and rename .apk to .bak? Or will file name changing only work using a file manager on the phone?

TIA.

Upvote 0
In anticipation of 2.2, I've read that not having some of the bloatware may brick our phones once we update. How do I reinstall the apps I deleted? I've downloaded the zip file with all the apps from the link in the 1st post, but more specifically how do I get them installed back on my phone?
Ayuda por favor?

Did you delete them or rename? If you deleted them, check the how to install system apps as system apps thread. If you renamed them, just rename them back to .apk from .bak via Root Explorer. I just tried it with Blockbuster and rebooted and the app properly showed back up in my drawer and it ran fine.

I'm having an internal debate about this. If we're getting Froyo in a month, why bother renaming apps until we have Froyo? For me, it just seems like a hassle.

One question: If I do rename apps when I get Froyo, can't I just do it through my PC? I mean can't I just connect up my phone, select "show file extensions" and rename .apk to .bak? Or will file name changing only work using a file manager on the phone?

TIA.

I figure it will take me less than 1 or 2 minutes to rename all of the apps back to .apk via Root Explorer right on the phone. Then reboot and you're done. Well worth the cleaner app list and speedier (for me at least) performance until the update.

I don't know if you'll be able to do it on your PC via USB mode. I figure no. I'll check it out at home tonight.

Reactions: jr0065
Upvote 0
Did you delete them or rename? If you deleted them, check the how to install system apps as system apps thread. If you renamed them, just rename them back to .apk from .bak via Root Explorer. I just tried it with Blockbuster and rebooted and the app properly showed back up in my drawer and it ran fine.

Thanks, I had deleted. Just saw that thread and reinstalled them.

Upvote 0
Could anyone please tell me apk names for
- Motorola Photo Widget
- Motorola Social Status

And is it safe to remove them? I don't use any social apps (just standard messaging) and I only use the Galery app.
Thanks

Photowidget.apk? Is Social Status a widget? Maybe Statuswidget.apk?

I think widgets should be fine since they are completely optional.

Upvote 0
tried that. says it is read only.
Originally Posted by P1DroidX
for me I'm using root explorer, for social networking, under settings and app, rename app friendfeed.apk to something else (I added .bak to simply remove it from the launcher) thanks to Airmaxx23 for giving me that bit of info :)
for kindle - - redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk

tried that. says it is read only.

did you notice the little bar at the top that says mount r/w and if you tap it, it will change to mount r/o this changes the folder from protected read only, to unprotected read and write, just tap it back before you exit root explorer so the folder will be secured again.

Upvote 0
Photowidget.apk? Is Social Status a widget? Maybe Statuswidget.apk?

I think widgets should be fine since they are completely optional.

I don't have these. I already removed the following and they are still these, so it must be some other apk:

rm CityID.apk
rm MessagesWidget.apk
rm ClockWidget.apk
rm Calculator.apk
rm Blockbuster.apk
rm amazonmp3_1.7.22_signed_zipaligned.apk
rm redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk
rm cmas.apk
rm Mynet.apk
rm NewsWidget.apk
rm PhotoWidget.apk
rm SocialMessaging.apk
rm BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk
rm StickyNoteWidget.apk
rm Vvm.apk
rm WeatherWidget.apk
rm VisualizationWallpapers.apk
rm LiveWallpapers.apk
rm LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
rm HelpCenter.apk

I also removed couple more, but then realized that I need them, so I simply put them back (I found the entire app dump on one of the forums).

Upvote 0
I thought anything with Blur in it IS NOT supposed to be removed?

I am now confused...

It's not recommended (my guess is because there are a lot of unknowns), but some may be removed w/out issues (obviosly you need to know what you need).
I removed BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk hoping that Social Status a widget would go away, but it didn't.
I'm not sure what BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk is so I will probably just put it back just in case, but I haven't had any issues texting.

Upvote 0
What is the purpose of doing a factory reset after removing things? Does it pull out the settings and what not for them or something?

First phone I've had, no real reason to root yet, but I am wanting to remove all those extra apps (I use maybe 5-8 of the default apps max). If I do root the phone, I will likely wait until 2.2 though.

But, is a factory reset required to finish removing the items you remove or something?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones