• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Full list of apps and apks that are removable and non-removable with root (Pre-Gingerbread)

I've updated to the leaked Froyo 2.2 through ROM Manager...

I'm having trouble switching my Root Explorer into R/W mode. When I first get to the Root Explorer screen I will change it into R/W just fine, but when I go into the "system" folder, Root Explorer will automatically switch it back to R/O in the upper right corner! (dumb thing, don't you know I want to keep R/W?!)

I'm kind of frustrated, because when I even hit the R/O to go back to R/W, it won't change, and it just stays at R/O...(which of course won't let me move or delete any files)

Help...please help?

(I could also just delete the apps through my TIBa, but I want to see if there's something wrong with my Root Explorer).

I was having the same problem, I think it's more of a 2.2 bug.

Upvote 0
so in order to remove apps: i open up root explorer. go to system folder. go to app folder. find any of the apks that i would like to remove that are in the OK list in the first post and rename them from .apk to .bak. do that regardless of whether the app is running or not? once renamed, is that it? or do i have to reboot? thanks.

Upvote 0
so in order to remove apps: i open up root explorer. go to system folder. go to app folder. find any of the apks that i would like to remove that are in the OK list in the first post and rename them from .apk to .bak. do that regardless of whether the app is running or not? once renamed, is that it? or do i have to reboot? thanks.

thats it, root explorer is a great app, I would reboot

Reactions: mezdup
Upvote 0
I've updated to the leaked Froyo 2.2 through ROM Manager...

I'm having trouble switching my Root Explorer into R/W mode. When I first get to the Root Explorer screen I will change it into R/W just fine, but when I go into the "system" folder, Root Explorer will automatically switch it back to R/O in the upper right corner! (dumb thing, don't you know I want to keep R/W?!)

I'm kind of frustrated, because when I even hit the R/O to go back to R/W, it won't change, and it just stays at R/O...(which of course won't let me move or delete any files)

Help...please help?

(I could also just delete the apps through my TIBa, but I want to see if there's something wrong with my Root Explorer).

I was having the same problem, I think it's more of a 2.2 bug.
same issue here. i think root explorer method doesn't work with the 2.2 leak.

Upvote 0
thanks, man. you've got to be one of the most helpful and patient people i've seen on any board. kudos to you.

thanks man, I try my best

same issue here. i think root explorer method doesn't work with the 2.2 leak.

I know it works because I just did it, try open up the ninja guy in your app drawer and clearing the permissions, have you been able to use any other root apps or is it just root explorer

Upvote 0
hey from adb shell...can someone tell me the command to rename the apks?

isnt it something like...

??? something.apk something.bak

edit

its mv....

ie... mv AdService.apk Adservice.bak

you also have to run the

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/mtd/mtdblock4 /system ----after you do su, before anything else

Upvote 0
WOWWWWW

dude my phone used to show the "shutting down" screen with the scrolling logo...after the second reboot (when it hadnt started any apps) it shut down so fast that the droid sound couldnt even come out..

thats impressive!

after a fresh boot, i have 206mb of ram availible... i think i can improve on it though. there is ALOT of stuff i havnt changed yet.

dang, and it loaded the autostarts in under 10 seconds! that usually takes 20 or more

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried removing the backupassistant.apk?

I have removed mine, it doesn't cause any problems unless you need to do a factory reset or change your OS using an update.zip. If I ever need to do a factory reset I will have to sbf back to a fresh phone, but no big deal. Since I am planning on only running custom ROMs now that won't be a problem either.

Upvote 0
I have removed mine, it doesn't cause any problems unless you need to do a factory reset or change your OS using an update.zip. If I ever need to do a factory reset I will have to sbf back to a fresh phone, but no big deal. Since I am planning on only running custom ROMs now that won't be a problem either.

Thanks, I'd love to see people list what they have removed. The other thing I'd like to see is a complete list of the .apk names and what they actually do. I just tried renaming backupassistantclient.apk and backup assistant is still in system panel as a running service. What is the actual apk that needs to be renamed/removed?

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'd love to see people list what they have removed. The other thing I'd like to see is a complete list of the .apk names and what they actually do. I just tried renaming backupassistantclient.apk and backup assistant is still in system panel as a running service. What is the actual apk that needs to be renamed/removed?

I used titanium backup to uninstall mine, there were 3 different apps I had to remove.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones