• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Full list of apps and apks that are removable and non-removable with root (Pre-Gingerbread)

Read this entire thread. It will help guide you about what to rename and what not to. Simply buy root explorer and then go into \system\apps and rename from .apk to .bak all those programs you don't want. Go slowly. Be methodical. You can brick your phone.

First post from my droid:
as I said - out of principle I refuse to pay any money to "fix"something that is mine to get it the way I want. I would rather carry it back to the store. Call it my personal rebellion.
Down with the system.
Android was born as open source.
Am I wrong?

Upvote 0
as I said - out of principle I refuse to pay any money to "fix"something that is mine to get it the way I want. I would rather carry it back to the store. Call it my personal rebellion.
Down with the system.
Am I wrong?

You are correct about it being open source but if your referring to not paying for apps like root explorer etc to get it the way you want it this is wrong .....these devs work hard to give us these convenient apps that allow us do do these things and their hard work should be supported .....if you don't want to pay for these apps you could always learn how to do what the app does manually and do it yourself .....supporting a dev has nothing to do with anything being open source and if its that much of a problem maybe you should buy a different device
I am not trying to sound rude my friend just answering your question as to why this outlook may be wrong and help you better understand

Upvote 0
Down with the system.
Am I wrong?

Are you wrong? Yes, very wrong...makes NO sense. It's like saying I want to customize my home with upgrades and special features but I do NOT want to pay any money for the changes. Actually, more like I want the Ferrari and I want the seats taken out and new ones put in with 3-point harnesses, I want the engine rebuilt with a turbo and I want the old rims gone, with new ones put in...but, nah, not gonna pay. Do you think that when you get "everything you want" in something that you have NOT already paid for it?? Similarly, do you think that if you want to make changes after the fact that you should NOT pay for it??

You're REALLY missing the point of "open source" with your comment about "rebellion" against paying for apps. It does NOT mean that you get a phone with precisely what YOU want from the factory. HTC or Motorola or whoever....or pretty much ANY company with ANY product...just ain't gonna customize right from the shop on a person by person basis. "Open source" allows developers to create software for the phone with open access to the code they need. "Open source" does not mean that everything is FREE and in NO WAY suggests that app developers must offer their apps and their time for FREE.

Since you pretty much IMMEDIATELY rooted your phone immediately you MUST have realized that the phone wasn't precisely what you wanted, right?? And realizing that, now you want to make changes but "refuse" to pay anything?? Again, its like that Ferrari...you buy it from the company but if you want to change anything you gotta pay for it.

Plus, the app that you refuse to pay for is like what, $4 bucks or something?? Less than a BK Value Meal. Instead of paying $4 to fix your phone the way you want, would you rather your phone manufacturer charge $50 more than you paid right up front so that you "didn't have to pay any more"

Your conception about what "open source" should be is really missing the point as well as you expectations that ANY changes to the phone to make it "the way you want" MUST be FREE without any compensation to the developers who allow you to do so.

Reactions: Android Al
Upvote 0
no no guys - i know EXACTLY what you mean - i will pay for the BBS Le Mans wheels on the ferrari - but i will NOT pay for having the old ones removed because the factory installed 12 point lug nuts ;-)

that is my thinking.

i would like to do nothing more than to hand some dev that knows what he is doing a $500 bill and say build it like i want it. but it is already built like i want it. but verizon messed with it and i will not pay anything to have it unmessed. then i would rather buy another product from someone else (for less or not) and THEN pay a dev the money he deserves for putting on BBS Le Mans wheels ;-)

does that make more sense ?
or is this better understandable ?

once i have it "the way that it was built before verizon messed it up" i will gladly pay a dev for any amount of "customization or pimping" that i want.....

HOWEVER - no one has answered my original question:
is un-installing with platinum the same as deleting or renaming ?

Upvote 0
no no guys - i know EXACTLY what you mean - i will pay for the BBS Le Mans wheels on the ferrari - but i will NOT pay for having the old ones removed because the factory installed 12 point lug nuts ;-)

that is my thinking.

i would like to do nothing more than to hand some dev that knows what he is doing a $500 bill and say build it like i want it. but it is already built like i want it. but verizon messed with it and i will not pay anything to have it unmessed.

i am sorry but no because if verizon already and moto already built it like you want as you state all this is a moot point ,,,,stay stock in that case!

Upvote 0
I'm gonna help you out with various things here...

First and foremost please, please, PLEASE DO NOT PUT BBS WHEELS ON THAT FERRARI!! :D:D

Now that that is out of the way :D

I would like to do nothing more than to hand some dev that knows what he is doing a $500 bill and say build it like i want it. but it is already built like i want it. but verizon messed with it and i will not pay anything to have it unmessed. then i would rather buy another product from someone else (for less or not) and THEN pay a dev the money he deserves for putting on BBS Le Mans wheels ;-)

I guess I can sorta kinda maaaaaybe see what you are trying to say but the practicality and the reality of that type of thinking is just SO OFF BASE to me (and seemingly other people). While I guess my previous analogy about a custom home isn't quite accurate because, in that case, you can pay WHATEVER you want to have PRECISELY what you want. Even with the Ferrari, I'm sure you can get your Ferrari EXACTLY how you want it with EVERYTHING you could ever want...for a price.

But to think you could do this with THIS type of product is just so wacked-out and off base. Since the cell phone came out in a 10lb brief case up until the recent Google phones or iPhone the products are simply NOT CUSTOM MANUFACTURED. It is what it is!! And to think that it would be otherwise with current cell phones is just nuts. To some extent you can "customize" your Apple computer by upgrading components and drives and capabilities...but there is a LIMIT at the manufacturer level. If you want MORE, you gonna HAVE TO PAY. Some things...actually MOST THINGS in the technology space...like phones or TVs or DVD players or WHATEVER...are offered as WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET. Custom TV from Sony built to YOUR exact specs?? No way. A DVR with 1000 HOURS of recording time shipped to you DIRECTLY from RCA...not on your life.

once i have it "the way that it was built before verizon messed it up" i will gladly pay a dev for any amount of "customization or pimping" that i want.....

See the problem with your (lack of) logic here is that, as I said before, with this type of technology, you do NOT GET TO CHOOSE a custom "un-messed-up" (in your opinion) version of Verizon's phone. And to even THINK that you could have such a thing is crazy.

With your Ferrari lug nut example...if you're gonna be pissed at a 12-point lug nut set, then you'll have to be EQUALLY PISSED if you don't like the factory wheels and want those (God no!!!!) BBS wheels right?? If they install a normally aspirated 12 cylinder engine and YOU want a Koenig TURBO installed then FERRARI "screwed it up" right? Because it wasn't to YOUR specs?? If you wanted a DEVON 1200 watt stereo but Ferrari only put in a 800 watt Alpine (or whatever they use) then FERRARI "messed it up"...just like Verizon did with your phone.

And I almost missed your comment about paying $500 for a developer!!!! THAT IS MY POINT EXACTLY!!! If you don't like the Ferrari, you'll buy it and pay an extra $100K to get it the way you want right?? If you don't want to base trim home, you'll pay $200K to make it PRECISELY they way you want it right?? Then if you don't like the phone, you'll pay $500 to have someone fix the phone?? Then WHY is the Ferrari or the basic house "not screwed up" but ONLY VERIZON screwed up the phone??

By the way...I wish I could...but I'm sure there are PLENTY of people who will get your phone EXACTLY the way you want for $500!!:eek::eek:

But what people are trying to tell you is that if you don't like your Ferrari and don't like your house and don't like your phone, instead of paying $500 to a dev to fix it for you, stop complaining Mr. Big Time and pay the 400 CENTS for Root Explorer, grab a bunch of other FREE crap around here to help you out, maybe pick up some ABSOLUTELY FREE ROMs or, hell, pay 500 MORE CENTS for some customized themes or whatever to make your phone into the Ferrari you want!!

HOWEVER - no one has answered my original question:
is un-installing with platinum the same as deleting or renaming ?

UN-installing IS DELETING. FREEZING (available for that crazy, CRAZY cost of about FIVE-HUNDRED, NINETY-EIGHT PENNIES!!) is like RENAMING the apps.

And I told you I'd help with EVERYTHING you were screwed up with..including the Titanium (not "Platinum") question too!:D;)

GOOD LUCK...and PLEASE save that $500 and spend perhaps $20 to make the phone like that turbo Ferrari you want (WITHOUT the BBS rims!!):D

Upvote 0
LOL - Scudder - we need to meet and have a beer ;-)

Believe it or not, I have met Mr. Willy Koenig in person before and have actually worked on his personal vehicle during my internship at one of Germany's premier Porsche Tuners ;-)

KOENIG SPECIALS

coincidentally the person after you posted the exact same question - free alternative to root explorer ;-)

I see your point.
I shall shut up and post a thread that will ask for a dev who will team up with me in producing a phone the way everyone wants it.
Unfortunately i only know about cars, as i have a Masters in Automotive Engineering, but we will figure something out.

Another tidbit of information about Koenig Specials:
they never built any of those engines (if you ever visit their shop at Heidemannstr. in Munich you would know they could not) but he paid someone else to do it.
ask me how i know ;-)

regards

Reactions: scudder
Upvote 0
I'm trying to update my phone to GB and cannot get the update (Your device is up to date!). I

-rooted my phone
-removed some bloatware
-did not backup or freeze (newb)
-Couldn't get GB update
-unrooted phone
-SBF back 2.3.340
-Phone still won't update

I noticed that some of the bloat ware was not present and think (newb) that this is the problem. After comparing bloatware lists to my applications, I noticed that I didn't have NFS Shift and Corporate Directory. I got NFS shift back but can't figure out how to get Corporate Directory back. I searched through the apk list at

Droid X Default Applications - ChadHaney.com

but can't find anything that indicates the apk I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I'm trying to update my phone to GB and cannot get the update (Your device is up to date!). I

-rooted my phone
-removed some bloatware
-did not backup or freeze (newb)
-Couldn't get GB update
-unrooted phone
-SBF back 2.3.340
-Phone still won't update

I noticed that some of the bloat ware was not present and think (newb) that this is the problem. After comparing bloatware lists to my applications, I noticed that I didn't have NFS Shift and Corporate Directory. I got NFS shift back but can't figure out how to get Corporate Directory back. I searched through the apk list at

Droid X Default Applications - ChadHaney.com

but can't find anything that indicates the apk I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

My suggestion to you would be to simply sbf back to .340 then update to GB. It's a lot faster and easier. Here's the directions. Please create a separate thread for further help questions as your questions will be lost in here. K? :)

SBF&#8217;ing the Droid X U D G <-- sbf directions and files.

Upvote 0
looks like im kinda breathing some more life into this thread again.

i have droid-x with 4.5.602 rooted (simpleoneclick)
is the list still the same or has new stuff been added.

the list on here was made around the time when froyo was out...

probably need a newer more update list of the safe/unsure/not-safe

any input on this would be great.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones